Just after some advice from the more experienced people.
I'm nearly 40 and my wife is early 40's. We have 3 children ages 8,10 and 12 and an international student from the local high school who is 17. We own our own home freehold and have 4 investment properties with a mortgage of $940,000 in total. Total value of all properties is just over 2mil. The gross rental income is just over 100k per annum.
I work full time 40hrs behind a desk in front of a computer and have done so for the past 16years for the same company and my wife is a stay at home mum and manages our properties.
In 2016 I got my electrical license and started my own business and side hustle doing small electrical electrical jobs around town. I really enjoyed going out and about meeting clients and funnily enough, climbing around roof spaces amongst the insulation. In mid 2019 I decided to take the leap and ask if I could do reduced hours 32hours a week (20% paycut) and spend fridays doing electrical work as I had enough work to supplement my loss of income for that day. On the Fridays, my wife and I would drop the kids off at school and then head off to work together, have lunch together and then pick up the kids at the end of the day. I found it was a great work life balance.
Since the beginning of 2021, I am now back full time 40hrs a week with a new manager (after a restructure) who is focused on output and targets. I approached him and asked if I could do reduced hours and he basically said no. In the meantime, I have a few electrical jobs on the go and in the pipeline.
I am now contemplating whether I should resign and build up my electrical business. To this point, all my electrical work has been word of mouth and I haven't done any advertising and I have enough work to cover 1 day a week, possibly 2.
Over the past year, I have been tabulating in a spreadsheet our income and expenditure and discovered that our household expenses/outgoings were approximately $60,000/yr. We live fairly fugally and are careful with our money. (well, I think anyway)
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on whether I should quit my day job. I've been doing my day job long enough and I'm not really passionate about it anymore, especially with the new boss who is not really a people person. I'm just going through the motions and not very happy. My aim is not to replace my six figure salary with my electrical work, but rather, make enough to pay for our living expenses.
The investment properties are looking after themselves which is good. I'm just after some advice and wisdom.
Many thanks in advance
I'm nearly 40 and my wife is early 40's. We have 3 children ages 8,10 and 12 and an international student from the local high school who is 17. We own our own home freehold and have 4 investment properties with a mortgage of $940,000 in total. Total value of all properties is just over 2mil. The gross rental income is just over 100k per annum.
I work full time 40hrs behind a desk in front of a computer and have done so for the past 16years for the same company and my wife is a stay at home mum and manages our properties.
In 2016 I got my electrical license and started my own business and side hustle doing small electrical electrical jobs around town. I really enjoyed going out and about meeting clients and funnily enough, climbing around roof spaces amongst the insulation. In mid 2019 I decided to take the leap and ask if I could do reduced hours 32hours a week (20% paycut) and spend fridays doing electrical work as I had enough work to supplement my loss of income for that day. On the Fridays, my wife and I would drop the kids off at school and then head off to work together, have lunch together and then pick up the kids at the end of the day. I found it was a great work life balance.
Since the beginning of 2021, I am now back full time 40hrs a week with a new manager (after a restructure) who is focused on output and targets. I approached him and asked if I could do reduced hours and he basically said no. In the meantime, I have a few electrical jobs on the go and in the pipeline.
I am now contemplating whether I should resign and build up my electrical business. To this point, all my electrical work has been word of mouth and I haven't done any advertising and I have enough work to cover 1 day a week, possibly 2.
Over the past year, I have been tabulating in a spreadsheet our income and expenditure and discovered that our household expenses/outgoings were approximately $60,000/yr. We live fairly fugally and are careful with our money. (well, I think anyway)
I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on whether I should quit my day job. I've been doing my day job long enough and I'm not really passionate about it anymore, especially with the new boss who is not really a people person. I'm just going through the motions and not very happy. My aim is not to replace my six figure salary with my electrical work, but rather, make enough to pay for our living expenses.
The investment properties are looking after themselves which is good. I'm just after some advice and wisdom.
Many thanks in advance



Comment