Header Ad Module

Collapse

How to remove troublesome tenants without causing problems?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Eva2011
    Freshie
    • Jun 2014
    • 24

    #1

    How to remove troublesome tenants without causing problems?

    I served my tenants 90 days notice of selling the house. They are on periodic term. I found the current market is not good for selling. I therefore want to change my mind to continue to rent it out. My problem with the rental is the current tenants. My property manager asked me for a permission of two working parents with two kids at the beginning. It turned out they are full time on benefits with four kids, flatmates and cats. I questioned through the PM. They said the flatmates are daily visitors which I know it's untrue. They have problems of not paying rent on time, making the house mess and damaging the house. I understand that I mistakenly chose a wrong PM and I can't communicate well with. The PM threaten me with I being discriminating the tenants.

    Am I allowed to re-rent it to someone else after the current tenants gone?
    Last edited by Eva2011; 29-04-2024, 12:54 AM.
  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10069

    #2
    I’d get rid of tenants - do some renovations - painting, cleaning etc and choose another PM - ask for recommendations and do a thorough check so to get one you can trust etc.

    You’ve given them 90 days notice and that’ll take you up to July and then with the clean up - there’s always the clean up etc and choosing a PM and then tenant selection I can’t see why there’d be any issues.

    However I may have missed something and there are PMs here that will let you know what they are.

    regards
    Donna
    Last edited by donna; 29-04-2024, 07:56 PM.
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

    Comment

    • Eva2011
      Freshie
      • Jun 2014
      • 24

      #3
      Thank you Donna for advise.

      Comment

      • artemis
        Fanatical
        • May 2004
        • 3102

        #4
        If the termination notice said it was due to plan to sell, the requirement is to put the property on the market within 90 days of termination date. There have been Tenancy Tribunal cases where circumstances led to a change of plan and the requirement was deemed to be met. You could do a search of TT decisions to find examples in case tenants apply to the TT to set the termination aside.

        In any case you have 90 days to put the property on the market, just best to make the next tenancy periodic not fixed. A fixed term could be a bad look.

        The current termination rules are stupidly and unnecessarily complex, but changing next year to no cause required.

        Comment

        • Eva2011
          Freshie
          • Jun 2014
          • 24

          #5
          Thank you artemis. I will list my property on the market for a weeks before re-letting. I checked the regulation. It doesn't say how many days the listing has to be. The current termination rule is really complicated.

          Comment

          • boromircalantir
            Freshie
            • May 2024
            • 1

            #6
            Navigating troublesome tenants can be like tiptoeing through a minefield in property management. It's crucial to handle the situation delicately, ensuring a smooth eviction process without escalating tensions. Communication is key; try to understand their concerns and find an amicable solution. Legal recourse should be your last resort. Engage with community resources or mediators if needed. Remember, a stitch in time saves nine.
            Last edited by donna; 25-06-2024, 04:07 PM.

            Comment

            Working...