How international market forces affect NZ property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
    Why then does there seem to be an increasing amount of people struggling, financially?
    Because if RBNZ's inflation calculator is to be believed consumer purchasing power has eroded by 45% over the past 20 years.

Increases in wages are insufficient to keep up with increases in food prices - let alone increases in house prices.

Comment

• On FB Graeme Fowler is going ahead with selling 20 properties in 2024 - with 8 months left that’s between 2 - 3 per month. First one is sold.

I think he’ll still have 30 - 40 (mix of commercial and residential).

Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

• Originally posted by Sanya View Post
        Because if RBNZ's inflation calculator is to be believed consumer, purchasing power has eroded by 45% over the past 20 years. Increases in wages are insufficient to keep up with increases in food prices - let alone increases in house prices.
        Is it a matter of, "to be believed?" Or more a matter of how the figures are presented or represented? Or 'fudged?'

From a cursory inspection of these figures you posted earlier . . .
        The calculator also shows wages have increased by 133.4 percent since 2000.
        Overall, the CPI has increased 82.2 percent since 2000 . . . ​
        . . . it would seem that wages have increased in excess of inflation by 51.2%. (133.4 minus 82.2).

I know that's not the reality. Certainly not in terms of purchasing power. I also suspect that everyone else knows that, too.

Why are the figures presented in a way that seems to show that wage earners are 'ahead' by more than 50%?

Comment

• Currency strength chart: Strongest - chf, jpy, cad, eur, usd, gbp, aud, nzd - weakest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffa View Post
            Currency strength chart: Strongest - chf, jpy, cad, eur, usd, gbp, aud, nzd - weakest.
            Reason why The kiwi has the weakest currency of the group is economists and media talking up the inflation data of 4.0 as a miss in expectation

It came in as the markets expected, The RBNZ had a miss at 3.8

This pushed earlier rate cuts out further and should have strengthen the kiwi

No

We are struggling to attract investment into NZ, this is why Luxon is in Asia wearing lipstick and a miniskirt trying to attract investment into NZ

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
              Is it a matter of, "to be believed?" Or more a matter of how the figures are presented or represented? Or 'fudged?'

From a cursory inspection of these figures you posted earlier . . .

. . . it would seem that wages have increased in excess of inflation by 51.2%. (133.4 minus 82.2).

I know that's not the reality. Certainly not in terms of purchasing power. I also suspect that everyone else knows that, too.

Why are the figures presented in a way that seems to show that wage earners are 'ahead' by more than 50%?
              You don’t need wages to keep up with inflation

You just need to steal money from the future and print money today in the form of debt.

Comment

• SBS doing 5.99 mortgage rates for 3 years

Comment

The wealthy always know what’s going to happen in advance

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1067.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	738634

Comment

SBS doing 5.99 mortgage rates for 3 years
                    Looking more attractive after 7% rates
                    "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Comment

• Originally posted by Frezzinghot View Post

Looking more attractive after 7% rates
                      What are the short term rates? Experience tells me that when long term rates drop, it's not long before short term onr=es follow. I never do more than 12 months now. Having said that, I can afford the risk factor.

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
                        What are the short term rates? Experience tells me that when long term rates drop, it's not long before short term onr=es follow. I never do more than 12 months now. Having said that, I can afford the risk factor.
                        Yeah nah, lowest I got recently 6.89 for 6 months. I’m not falling for their traps, I know things are mighty grim out there atm, if rates don’t start dropping soon, we are all fckd. Well some of us. My plumber mate who employs over 60 staff told me yesterday he usually does 200 jobs for his side business, it is now down to half. Not sustainable!

EVERYONE, I talk to in the trades are down considerably, it’s not a pretty picture out there.

Comment

• Nasdaq falls more than 2% to post 6th straight losing day as Nvidia craters 10%:

​Netflix dumped 9% today as it beat market expectations but management basically said they have peaked in growth after all the cost cutting similar to Tesla down 40% YTD

Be great if theses mega cap companies could lead the entire US sharemarket lower

If this is the case a recession is inevitable in the US

My bet is the Fed will step in and talk up the markets once again.

The Fed needs to let the US economy fail or risk sending inflation back up​ which could send wholesale interest rates up….stupid Fed

Comment

Yeah nah, lowest I got recently 6.89 for 6 months. I’m not falling for their traps, I know things are mighty grim out there atm, if rates don’t start dropping soon, we are all fckd. Well some of us. My plumber mate who employs over 60 staff told me yesterday he usually does 200 jobs for his side business, it is now down to half. Not sustainable!

EVERYONE, I talk to in the trades are down considerably, it’s not a pretty picture out there.
                            I’ve drops my rates for my business to nab more customers, I’ve now resorted to posting on as many Facebook group pages to drum up more business, even cold callling on customers is having some success, whatever it takes to keep that money coming in.

im not sitting around waiting for things to happen, you have to go out and find it now!

Comment

I’ve drops my rates for my business to nab more customers, I’ve now resorted to posting on as many Facebook group pages to drum up more business, even cold callling on customers is having some success, whatever it takes to keep that money coming in.

im not sitting around waiting for things to happen, you have to go out and find it now!
                              Don’t limit to just FB, only Gen x and boomers use Facebook

To get as wider view of potential customers

Use tik tok
                              instagram
                              X as well

…lol don’t pay for advertising on legacy media, their dead like Video EZY​

Comment

Could see yields rise pushing up our fixed mortgage rates, obviously a sell off in interest rate sensitive stocks which is much of the sharemarket including Bitcoin

"Just a thought not necessarily fact​"
                                King Jeffa predicts exactly 1 month to the day , let’s hope King Jeffa is wrong on wholesale rates

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	738663

Comment

Working...
                                X