Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone witnessed firsthand a property price bubble? What does it look like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What were people saying and thinking at the peak of house prices before the recent house price falls in NZ?

Here are some observations:

1) Property market commentators

REINZ Housing Price Update (May 2022) Prices month on month (since peak): - National -1.6% (-8.8%) - National (ex-Auckland) -1.6% (-5.0%) - Auckland -1.6% (-11.7%) - Wellington -2.9% (-13.5%) https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FVsKchuaQAIPPpM?format=jpg&name=large

2) Reasons to buy

Tax change. (Unconfirmed rumor). Interest can no longer be offset against income from your day job. Who's affected and how? Short term cashflow ok.. rent still comes in. Long term asset accumulation ok ...Capital gain still happens. Who's on the line, and by how much ?

3) Investment calculations

Looks like the actual numbers now support the claim that houses prices are starting to fall in many areas. And that the trend is spreading throughout the country. Even areas that were ok last month, are now in decline. The general global consensus is that prices could do with a 10% haircut, but as that will be insignificant

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris W View Post
      From Ashley Church

"But what constitutes a housing market crash? ...... I define a property market crash as a 20% drop in the median sales price from market peak, and which lasts for more than 12 months."

https://www.oneroof.co.nz/news/ashle...nt-crash-41212

Geographical regions where the median price has fallen 20% and met Ashley's criteria of 20% from market peak:
      1) Wellington
      2) Auckland
      3) Hawkes Bay

Other areas which are near the 20% threshold:
      1) Nelson
      2) Manawatu

Source:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	498
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	734446

Comment

• Really - isn't that just so many numbers? My perspective would be the number of foreclosure sales indicating serious problems with payments affordability. And possibly nervous banks.

Comment

Video from Opes Partners

For reference for the above video discussion

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	464
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	734622

Comment

• Can a property price fall more than 70%?

Sept 2021: Buyer purchased for $2,400,000
            Feb 2023: Owner sells for $705,000

In 17 months, that is a price drop of over 70%.

Comment

From Ashley Church

"But what constitutes a housing market crash? ...... I define a property market crash as a 20% drop in the median sales price from market peak, and which lasts for more than 12 months."

REINZ October 2023 median house price review.

Locations where median house prices are down 20% or more from their peak:

1) Auckland: -20.0%
              2) Gisbourne: -20.3%
              3) Wellington: -20.5%
              4) Tasman: -21.6%
              5) West Coast: -21.4%

Some areas have now met Ashley's definition of a property market crash.

Last edited by Chris W; 12-12-2023, 12:06 PM.

Comment

From Ashley Church

REINZ median house price update - Nov 2023

Some areas below have now met Ashley's definition of a property market crash.

Locations where median house prices are down 20% or more from their peak:
                1. Franklin: -21.4%
                2. North Shore: -20.3%
                3. Papakura: -29.8%
                4. Waitakere: -21.1%
                5. Hauraki: -20.7%
                6. Otorohanga: -37.1%
                7. South Waikato: -21.2%
                8. Thames - Coromandel: -28.0%
                9. Opotiki: :-21.8%
                10. Rotorua: -24.0%
                11. Tauranga City:-20.5%
                12. Whakatane: -22.6%
                13. Gisborne: -21.7%
                14. Central Hawkes Bay: -27.6%
                15. Hastings: -23.2%
                16. Horowhenua: -24.3%
                17. Rangiteki: -29.4%
                18. Ruapehu: -32.3%
                19. Whanganui: -23.1%
                20. Kapiti Coast: -20.6%
                21. Lower Hutt: -25.5%
                22. South Wairarapa: -51.5%
                23. Upper Hutt: -22.5%
                24. Wellington City: -24.2%
                25. Nelson: -21.7%
                26. Buller: -33.7%
                27. Westland: -33.4%
                28. Hurunui: -22.3%
                29. Clutha: -35.3%
                30. Southland district: -25.4%
                Last edited by Perry; 24-12-2023, 06:21 PM. Reason: fixed numbering format

Comment

• "I've never seen house prices in Auckland fall 20%. That's a bubble" - high profile property investor, property developer in NZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    The plight of heavily indebted PIs or home-owners will likely be very painful, as inflation increases.
                    How to manage mortgage stress

Last edited by Perry; 22-01-2024, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• Thoughts on a property bubble

Lets look at the euphoria in 2021

It lasted give or take about 1 year?

Did you sell at the top of the market? Congrats, unlikely many people did but nevertheless many people made good money over this period

Did you buy at the top of the market? And watch the value of your property fall 20% It’s likely down 13% today and will recover in the next year or so to what you paid for and finally start making capital growth

For me , a property bubble crash would probably represent a 50% decline in value and recovery take a decade to realise growth from the peak market or bottom , scenarios for this is usually war, sharemarkets tend to recover relatively fast these days ,

So as for me

No I have not witnessed a price bubble, because it needs to pop, not leak then get repaired by lowering rates off shore and printing more money.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffa View Post

For me , a property bubble crash would probably represent a 50% decline in value
                        Just to clarify your definition. Is that based on
                        1) nominal prices or
                        2) inflation adjusted prices

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffa View Post
                          Thoughts on a property bubble

Lets look at the euphoria in 2021

It lasted give or take about 1 year?

Did you sell at the top of the market? Congrats, unlikely many people did but nevertheless many people made good money over this period

Did you buy at the top of the market? And watch the value of your property fall 20% It’s likely down 13% today and will recover in the next year or so to what you paid for and finally start making capital growth

For me , a property bubble crash would probably represent a 50% decline in value and recovery take a decade to realise growth from the peak market or bottom , scenarios for this is usually war, sharemarkets tend to recover relatively fast these days ,

So as for me

No I have not witnessed a price bubble, because it needs to pop, not leak then get repaired by lowering rates off shore and printing more money.
                          I haven't seen any real correction on my street or right across Central Otago(all these Dorklanders moving down LOL) ... 2021 260sqm near new home across the street sold for more than asking some $1.4mill ..

just last week after just one week on the market a much older 290sqm home down a ROW behind us just did the same sold for just over $1.4mill much more than asking ...

we paid $550k for our 280sqm house with far superior views than both of them .. early 2016 !!

In our area any weakness hasn't be noticed with these higher rates .. homes sections certainly getting smaller ..I now see sections only 270sqm for sale $300k

Comment

• Meanwhile in shitty old south Auckland rich Asian buying up this place.

Last edited by Frezzinghot; 15-02-2024, 02:18 PM.
                            "DEBT BECOMES IRRELEVANT WITH INFLATION".

Comment

• It's been 2 years since this initial calculation was done. An update.

Looks like the actual numbers now support the claim that houses prices are starting to fall in many areas. And that the trend is spreading throughout the country. Even areas that were ok last month, are now in decline. The general global consensus is that prices could do with a 10% haircut, but as that will be insignificant

A) Jan 2022

The owner occupier proceeds with a house purchase in early 2022 using an 80% mortgage. We will assume that the house is purchased at the median house price in January 2022

i) REINZ median property price in Auckland: $1,200,000
                              https://www.interest.co.nz/.../real.../median-price-reinz

ii) Mortgage @ 80% LVR - $960,000 (assumed to be interest only to avoid the effects of loan principal payments distorting the comparison of equity growth from initial equity below)

iii) Equity value saved and used to buy the house - $240,000​

B) Jan 2024

1) Nominal prices

i) REINZ median property price in Auckland: $975,000 (-18.75%)

ii) Mortgage as above: $960,000 ( assumed to be interest only to avoid the effects of loan principal payments distorting the comparison of equity growth from initial equity below)
                              LVR is now 98.5%

iii) Equity: $15,000 (-93.75%)

2) Inflation adjusted prices assuming 7.0% p.a inflation for 2 years (adjustment factor of 1.14).

i) Median house price in Auckland: $851,603 ($975,000 / 1.14), -29.0% in purchasing power.

ii) Mortgage: $851,603 ($960,000 / 1.14), -12.7% in purchasing power - erosion by inflation)

iii) Equity: $13,102 (-94.5% in purchasing power)

Will be interesting to see how this develops over the next 8 years until 2032.

Comment

• ^^ Your numbers assume the homeowners sold in this time frame or 24 months, which would be a very low percentage of homeowners selling in this market with listings so low, for now .

Losses are only realized by selling

Investors leverage their deposit , so recycling equity isn't earned income, more capital gains from previous investment, not to mention those losses can be claimed as tax losses.

Comment

Working...
                                X