Header Ad Module

Collapse

42 Day notice given but plans have changed

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Crookie
    Freshie
    • Nov 2012
    • 96

    #1

    42 Day notice given but plans have changed

    I have given a tenant a 42 day notice and they have found another property, I was going to move in to the house but circumstances have changed, what should I do to make sure I don't get in trouble? Tenant was pretty upset at being given the 42 day notice in the first place. If I did move in, how long would it need to be for before I could re-advertise.
  • fuzzlevalve
    Banned
    • Sep 2017
    • 193

    #2
    As long as documented no issue. Advise tenant in case they want to stay, unless any PM's on here advise against that.

    Comment

    • artemis
      Fanatical
      • May 2004
      • 3102

      #3
      Suggest make a time to sit down with tenant and explain. I would also offer to help with moving expenses, maybe a week or two free rent. Set it all out in an email as a record of agreement (if reached) or the discussion in case it is needed.

      Comment

      • Keys
        Fanatical
        • Nov 2006
        • 6062

        #4
        ^^ agreed.
        https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

        Comment

        • SimonW
          Opinionated
          • Dec 2013
          • 113

          #5
          Whatever you do, don't advertise the property at a higher rent than what the outgoing tenant was paying. You don't want to be accused of tipping them out just to raise the rent - and using the 42 day notice as a reason to do it quickly...

          Comment

          • Keys
            Fanatical
            • Nov 2006
            • 6062

            #6
            ^^ same applies as in tax issues. What was the intent of the notice when issued?
            https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

            Comment

            • Don't believe the Hype
              Fanatical
              • Apr 2016
              • 2159

              #7
              Originally posted by Keys View Post
              ^^ same applies as in tax issues. What was the intent of the notice when issued?
              I'd be more confident going up against IRD with the intent test than with the TT.

              Comment

              • Keys
                Fanatical
                • Nov 2006
                • 6062

                #8
                Agreed. Too many landlords use the 42 day notice to shaft tenants.
                https://www.propertytalk.com/forum/i...ilies/lock.gif

                Comment

                • donna
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 10069

                  #9
                  Why not just move forward as intended, and use the opportunity to renovate the property while you're living in it and after the renovations are done then rent it again - and it could be for more as it's a higher spec property now. Anything wrong with doing this?

                  cheers,

                  Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                  BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                  Comment

                  • mrsaneperson
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2012
                    • 2289

                    #10
                    As long as the intention to move in yourself at the time notice was served, then the 42 day notice was served legitimately . When you changed your mind regarding that original intention ,as far as I'm aware their is no obligation to then retract the notice or inform the tenant.

                    Comment

                    • Tenant17
                      Freshie
                      • Jul 2017
                      • 26

                      #11
                      Also worth noting, although slightly off topic, if the house is owned by a company or trust, the LL cannot use the 42-day notice on the basis that they (or their family) are moving in. Thought I'd mention it as in my experience it is not well understood by LL's.

                      Comment

                      Working...