Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
    I'm looking at a property we used to own that had a positive test when the new owners listed it for sale. 2 major cleans so far and still testing positive.....
    Can I suggest that after two cleans and there is still a positive test(although unsure of the level of the positive test) smoking may not have been the only activity but hopefully not.

Also as a landlord I am happy to build into any future tenancy agreement that I can take a Meth test with say 48 hrs notice and believe this could be a good tool to assist with deterring the manufacturing issue, but will look at the wording further down the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
      This does suggest that it wouldn't be hard to clean up a house where meth had been smoked.
      Originally posted by offo View Post
      Can I suggest that after two cleans and there is still a positive test(although unsure of the level of the positive test) smoking may not have been the only activity but hopefully not.

Also as a landlord I am happy to build into any future tenancy agreement that I can take a Meth test with say 48 hrs notice and believe this could be a good tool to assist with deterring the manufacturing issue, but will look at the wording further down the line.
      Suggest that if they want to smoke meth and into that then threatening them with a test won't make a difference. After all threatening putting people in jail for crimes doesn't stop the being a crim. They don't care.

Comment

• Originally posted by offo View Post

The Swiss article does mention the use of bleach. Most won't use it in sufficient concentration because it can damage soft fabrics if you don't know what you are doing.

Comment

• My maintenance guy told me tonight he is repairing a house after meth cleaning as they used so much liquid it has damaged all the floors! I assume incompetent cleaners but it was an insurance job so presumably reputable company.

Comment

• Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
            Tenant gets nervous.
            Tenant gets a meth test done.
            Tenant files with TT for full refund of rent paid + replacement cost of all furniture + damages.
            Tenant gets lots of money from you.

(It has already happened).
            How often does the TT listen to the PM/Landlord and decide against the tenant?
            If you supplied a meth test result that conflicted with the tenants meth test, who would the TT side with?
            If you said the tenants meth testing wasn't done by a qualified testing agency, would the TT ignore the test results?
            It seems we're on a hiding to nothing.
            The only way out that I can see is to set the safe level of meth to realistic safe levels - something over 10-20.
            The proposed 2.5/3 levels are way too low.
            Should we drug test tenants before signing them up?
            Last edited by Bob Kane; 16-05-2017, 11:15 PM.

Comment

• 3 monthly drug testing of all tenants as part of regular inspections?
              Maybe also need to install CCTV cameras to monitor their activities.
              All to ensure their health and safety of course!
              The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

If you said the tenants meth testing wasn't done by a qualified testing agency, would the TT ignore the test results?
                No such qualification therefore no such qualified agency.

Comment

• Something to try if you need to prove no P contamination at the start of the tenancy

Moderator Note
                  This post was copied from another thread, here on PropertyTalk: Some interesting TT decisions.

Sorry - I know there is a P-related thread somewhere on the NZ PT forums, but I can't find it right now. Hopefully one of the admins can move this post to that thread.

I've seen a couple of TT decisions now where P contamination during a tenancy has been proved by a positive test on something new added to the property at, or after, the start of the tenancy. The theory being that it wasn't contaminated beforehand (since it was new), but is contaminated now, so the contamination must have happened during the tenancy.

The first one was a new carpet, and then there's this one (reason 6), which mentions a couch.

The latter seems a bit more marginal, as I can't see how they proved the couch wasn't contaminated before being moved to the property, but still. Maybe it was new as well.

Anyway, it's a long shot, but it might help someone.
                  Last edited by Perry; 31-05-2017, 12:47 PM. Reason: added link back to original thread

Comment

• Ah, so you include a new bookcase or install a new shelf before the tenant moves in?
                    And then test that item during the tenancy - must have been the new tenant who caused the contamination.
                    Then claim for expenses to clean the place up as you evict the tenant.

Comment

Ah, so you include a new bookcase or install a new shelf before the tenant moves in?
                      And then test that item during the tenancy - must have been the new tenant who caused the contamination.
                      Then claim for expenses to clean the place up as you evict the tenant.
                      So long as you can show that your new bookcase isn't contaminated already.
                      In this case it was the tenants belongings so worked well.
                      I am sometimes impressed by the TT rulings - some are actually reasonable and logical.

Comment

• Any recommendation for qualified Meth & P test company in Rotorua? How much does the test generally cost? How long will it take to do the test and know the result? Apology if the questions were asked before. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisgoh View Post
                          Any recommendation for qualified Meth & P test company in Rotorua? How much does the test generally cost? How long will it take to do the test and know the result? Apology if the questions were asked before. Thanks!
                          There can't be. Because they don't exist anywhere in New Zealand.

www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by Keys View Post
                            There can't be. Because they don't exist anywhere in New Zealand.
                            Oh! Maybe I should rephrase it as "trusted and reputable" Meth & P Test company. Thanks!

Comment

• No there aren't any. There is no proper standard yet. Buy a DIY kit, it is just as accurate as anything else you'll get done. The more I research the USA the more I realise that unless there are stoned gang members floor to ceiling in the house and 44 gallon drums full of cooking materials in every room the supposedly dangerous meth levels are all a farce anyway.

Comment

• Where can I buy the Meth Test DIY kit?

Comment

Working...
                                X