Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting a laundry into a 3rd bedroom

Hello there,

I have read through the forums so interesting posts regarding conversion into bedroom but didn't find all the information needed for our case so I thought it will be easier to write a post.

So we have a 2 bedroom Brick and Tile unit. We would like to increase its value as we will sell it once day and thought it could be good to add a bedroom. We are thinking of converting the laundry into this 3rd bedroom and put the laundry in the garage as it is too small to put a car in.

Where would I find the required information regarding hat to be legal or to see if we can really meet the requirements? If I understand it right, if you are renting the changes don't have to be on a the plan but for selling we do.

Thanks for your help and time.

Originally posted by SarahQP View Post
    Hello there,

I have read through the forums so interesting posts regarding conversion into bedroom but didn't find all the information needed for our case so I thought it will be easier to write a post.

So we have a 2 bedroom Brick and Tile unit. We would like to increase its value as we will sell it once day and thought it could be good to add a bedroom. We are thinking of converting the laundry into this 3rd bedroom and put the laundry in the garage as it is too small to put a car in.

Where would I find the required information regarding hat to be legal or to see if we can really meet the requirements? If I understand it right, if you are renting the changes don't have to be on a the plan but for selling we do.

there really are no requirements?
    natural light and ventilation required but I assume there is a window at present

Comment

Even for renting the changes should be documented, especially if it's something as significant as converting a laundry into a bedroom. If you need to make an insurance claim for example and the insurer finds out that undocumented alterations were done, that could become a big issue.

Originally posted by SarahQP View Post
      Hello there,

Comment

the issue is only that insurers are an ignorant lot and look for escape clauses when claims come in.

You have to disclose to insurers, if only so they can not come back at you.

If unconsented work causes damage then there mat=y be an issue but if you use registsred plumbers and electricians then there should be no difference. Shit happens even when work is under a consent?

A conversion is lawful (and not a change of use under building act and unlikly under RMA?) so get an updated plan placed in council file as a scedule 1 report. This completes public disclosure.

Comment

Working...
        X