Removing a kitchen waste disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing a kitchen waste disposal

I am investigating removing a wired kitchen disposal and not replacing. Has anyone done this. I imagine it needs a complete new sink as well, so plumber and electrician? What happens to the isolator switch for the waste disposal?

I have.
    Very simple job.
    1. Remove disposal unit.
    2. Attach/insert a wide waste pipe unit in sink.
    3. Connect to existing waste pipe.
    4. Tidy up switch unit - remove waste unit wire.

Comment

Yes to both Plumber/Electrician and new sink cheaper to just replace the waste disposal if it's not working.
      Kaye
      www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

As Bob said, it's a simple job to replace the sink waste with a new one, connect the trap to the same waste pipe - done. The power disconnected at the power outlet (socket).
        We had numerous problems with broken disposal units by cutlery and other metal stuff - since tenants and LL have been happy.

Comment

Cheers for that everyone. I cannot do this myself. Does the removal of the waste disposal require a registered electrician, or should a plumber be able to do the whole job?

Comment

Well, have firstly a look. The electrical connection should be a standard power socket as you use for an extension cord. The rest is easy for a plumber.

Comment

There are kits available to reduce the size to a standard waste.

plumber should not touch electrics but perhaps you as an owner can disconnect this. Any other work to justify a electrician call out?

Comment

I can remove the socket, but its wired in as well, which I am guessing is the connection to the switch which you use to run it.

Comment

if you dont know what you are looking at you need an electrician

Comment

Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
                    I can remove the socket, but its wired in as well, which I am guessing is the connection to the switch which you use to run it.
                    It is probably just plugged in beneath the sink.
                    The socket will be switched from the switch above the sink.
                    Just unplug and leave the switch, it will do no harm.
                    If you wanted to use the socket for anything else you just need to remember that it is switched from above the sink.

Comment

Working...
                    X