Header Ad Module

Collapse

Removing a kitchen waste disposal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TheLibrary
    Opinionated
    • May 2013
    • 210

    #1

    Removing a kitchen waste disposal

    I am investigating removing a wired kitchen disposal and not replacing. Has anyone done this. I imagine it needs a complete new sink as well, so plumber and electrician? What happens to the isolator switch for the waste disposal?
  • Bob Kane
    Fanatical
    • May 2008
    • 3679

    #2
    I have.
    Very simple job.
    1. Remove disposal unit.
    2. Attach/insert a wide waste pipe unit in sink.
    3. Connect to existing waste pipe.
    4. Tidy up switch unit - remove waste unit wire.

    Comment

    • Kaye
      Forum Junkie
      • Aug 2010
      • 283

      #3
      Yes to both Plumber/Electrician and new sink cheaper to just replace the waste disposal if it's not working.
      Kaye
      www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

      Comment

      • klauster
        Addicted
        • Apr 2011
        • 684

        #4
        As Bob said, it's a simple job to replace the sink waste with a new one, connect the trap to the same waste pipe - done. The power disconnected at the power outlet (socket).
        We had numerous problems with broken disposal units by cutlery and other metal stuff - since tenants and LL have been happy.

        Comment

        • TheLibrary
          Opinionated
          • May 2013
          • 210

          #5
          Cheers for that everyone. I cannot do this myself. Does the removal of the waste disposal require a registered electrician, or should a plumber be able to do the whole job?

          Comment

          • klauster
            Addicted
            • Apr 2011
            • 684

            #6
            Well, have firstly a look. The electrical connection should be a standard power socket as you use for an extension cord. The rest is easy for a plumber.

            Comment

            • John the builder
              Fanatical
              • Nov 2013
              • 2297

              #7
              There are kits available to reduce the size to a standard waste.

              plumber should not touch electrics but perhaps you as an owner can disconnect this. Any other work to justify a electrician call out?

              Comment

              • TheLibrary
                Opinionated
                • May 2013
                • 210

                #8
                I can remove the socket, but its wired in as well, which I am guessing is the connection to the switch which you use to run it.

                Comment

                • John the builder
                  Fanatical
                  • Nov 2013
                  • 2297

                  #9
                  if you dont know what you are looking at you need an electrician

                  Comment

                  • Wayne
                    Fanatical
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 10899

                    #10
                    Originally posted by TheLibrary View Post
                    I can remove the socket, but its wired in as well, which I am guessing is the connection to the switch which you use to run it.
                    It is probably just plugged in beneath the sink.
                    The socket will be switched from the switch above the sink.
                    Just unplug and leave the switch, it will do no harm.
                    If you wanted to use the socket for anything else you just need to remember that it is switched from above the sink.

                    Comment

                    Working...