Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New windows

Hello,

What do people recommend in terms of new windows. We currently have old metal framed ones, and live in Dunedin and I don't want to go through another winter with them haha.

best windows you will get

Comment

PVC everyday. Much better insulator than alu, won't rot or degrade, at least in our lifetimes. Also cheaper than alu quotes I got. NKwindows.co.nz

Comment

Originally posted by andyp2010 View Post
        PVC everyday. Much better insulator than alu, won't rot or degrade, at least in our lifetimes. Also cheaper than alu quotes I got. NKwindows.co.nz
        if you want cheap shite

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
          if you want cheap shite
          Whats wrong with PVC? I've read that they seem to be the better than aluminum as they are a better insulator?

Comment

There is a debate on PT currently about double glazed windows and PVC versus timber or aluminium. A minority think PVC is better but if you do some research globally they are not considered to last as long. Aluminium is the "best" although to get thermally broken double glazed is expensive. PVC has had, and continues to have issues with quality control resulting in warping and other things plastic does. I wouldn't touch it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
              There is a debate on PT currently about double glazed windows and PVC versus timber or aluminium. A minority think PVC is better but if you do some research globally they are not considered to last as long. Aluminium is the "best" although to get thermally broken double glazed is expensive. PVC has had, and continues to have issues with quality control resulting in warping and other things plastic does. I wouldn't touch it myself.
              what he said

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                what he said
                Thanks for that info bobsyouruncle.

Comment

For me it's the uncertainty. The source of the raw materials has huge ramifications on quality. Google it yourself you'll find people in NZ and all over the world who are having issues after 3 to 5 years. Then plenty of people are having no issues after 20. With Aluminium nobody has any issues pretty much ever because Ali doesn't melt, warp or degrade generally. So why risk PVC?

Comment

Got a quote from nulook in Dunedin (11 windows in a 90sqm house),

$13666 for frames double glaze and install + $1472 low e + argon gas + $1834 thermal broken suit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobsyouruncle View Post
                      For me it's the uncertainty. The source of the raw materials has huge ramifications on quality. Google it yourself you'll find people in NZ and all over the world who are having issues after 3 to 5 years. Then plenty of people are having no issues after 20. With Aluminium nobody has any issues pretty much ever because Ali doesn't melt, warp or degrade generally. So why risk PVC?
                      With everything you get what you pay for. We paid for German made, stainless steal framed, UPVC. Cheaper than locally made thermally broken alumin. After 5 years still very happy and, at this moment, would never go back to alumin. Will it still be as good in another 20 years? I'll let you know. 😁

Comment

Which is exactly why I wouldn't use them learning. IN 20, 30,50 years I know the Ali windows will be perfect still. No need to wonder.

Comment

Ive seen some pretty cruddy looking ail frames after 20-30 years. Pitted and corroded.

It's the same risk buying any new technology. The latest smart phone or window frames. Time will tell if the next is better than the last.

Comment

Tru dat!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                              With everything you get what you pay for. We paid for German made, stainless steal framed, UPVC. Cheaper than locally made thermally broken alumin. After 5 years still very happy and, at this moment, would never go back to alumin. Will it still be as good in another 20 years? I'll let you know. 
                              What's the name of the German business please? We've been recommended this Indian brand Fenestra uPVC

We're building new so we want the most reliable, functional for Kapiti (within 1km from the beach)

cheers,

Donna
                              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                              X