Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd toilet or bath more value?

Hi

Im looking to sell at house at the moment that has 2 toilets (one in bathroom and one seperate). Just wanting to see people's view on whether it would add more value to the sale price of the house if I put a bath in instead of the toilet in the bathroom. At the moment there is just a shower in the bathroom. Are 2 toilets valued more or a bath in a 3 bedroom? I'm guessing there is considerable costs adding a bath with consents and plumbing.

Thanks

When I did up a property some time ago, I put a bath in as that it seemed to open the market up to people with young children or buyers that were looking to have children.

Just my opinion though

Comment

Yeah but the two toilets is also a winner - we only have one and have been told we should put in an ensuite to get achieve a much higher sale price.

What about shower over bath with toilet, and separate toilet?

The other thing to consider is the eco-friendly - water conservation thing - less baths and more showers recommended or the option could be a smaller bath with shower overhead.

cheers,

donna
      Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I think a second toilet will be more beneficial to families than a bath.

If I were to spend some money to improve sale price, I would spend on:
        1) furniture hire/decoration for property sale
        2) cosmetic renovations to improve condition of the property

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. Yes did consider the shower over bath but the area the shower is currently in Wouldnt fit a bath/ shub leading to a lot of work to install.

I will be renovating but thought families with young families may want a bath over second toilet but I guess that maybe a small market.

Comment

An ensuite is different to 2 toilets. An ensuite with the Master Brm will trump 2 toilets beside each other down the hall.

A 2nd toilet may be more beneficial but I am not sure people would see it that way.
            Those with a young family or those intending to be with a young family may see more benefit in a bath than a 2nd toilet.

Comment

Yes it is tricky. 50/50 I think on what I decide. You are right Wayne I don't think people will regard the benefit of a second toilet as a selling point.

Unfortunately there's no chance of creating an ensuite from the second toilet.

Comment

Baths are s o o o o, last century. I.e. I believe
                the demand/preference would be low and not
                worth the cost and hassles involved.

Comment

Who knows what is in a buyer's mind. Suggest do not spend money on changing. If you get it wrong you have spent $ for nothing. Anything involving a plumber does not come cheap and you might not recover the cost.

If a buyer's must-have list includes a bath, and they love the house, they always have the option of putting one in themselves.

Comment

Or offer to put one in for
                    a quick sale (or the like).

Comment

I would keep as is but then again aren't stand alone baths all the rage?

Comment

Families do like a bath with small children usually which is what we advise - shower over bath is acceptable to most families - 2 toilets is a wish list but certainly adds value if you have 2 or more kids in the house using them - no one like sharing unless they have to

cheers

Mark

Comment

Shower over bath is a total negative to most women - have you ever tried to clean one? Just bought a 2 bed to live in that has one bath with toilet in it - the 2nd toilet is a priority and that is with only 2 of us living here! Will probably remove the bat h- replace it with a decent sized shower, and add a spa pool outside!
                          Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Originally posted by lissie View Post
                            that has one bath with toilet in it
                            Must be annoying trying to have a bath when there is a toilet in it also
                            Not much room left.

Comment

I have actually always wondered this as well (to add just an extra toilet or a full bathroom). In regards to bath, I have witnessed it first hand that most of my rentals that have bathroom are more desired to families with younger children.
                              www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                              # Property Management
                              # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Working...
                              X