Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

llandlord refunds $30,000 for renting illegal garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• llandlord refunds $30,000 for renting illegal garage?

does anyone have details of this case?
    An Auckland property agent must pay back more than $30,000 in rent - after it was found tenants were living in an illegally converted garage.

something doesn't stack up?

Is this a TT ruling? or court?

I'm waiting for the two ''WOF for Rentals'' ladies to explain how a tenant can get all his rent back from a dodgy landlord when we don't have the WOF scheme up and running?
    They keep claiming that tenants have no rights and get exploited but here is a case under the current rules where the tenant has done very well.
    Doesn't this show the WOF scheme isn't needed?

I also wonder about what happens if the landlord refuses to pay the $30k.

Comment

Of course you'd pay it!
      $20pw.
      Try not to forget a repayment (now and again).
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I wonder if the landlord has set up his legal structure in a certain way then he may be able to walk away.

Comment

They put up with it for how long?

Interested to see the Tenancy ruling and the evidence presented.

Must be more to the story.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
            I'm waiting for the two ''WOF for Rentals'' ladies to explain how a tenant can get all his rent back from a dodgy landlord when we don't have the WOF scheme up and running?
            They keep claiming that tenants have no rights and get exploited but here is a case under the current rules where the tenant has done very well.
            Doesn't this show the WOF scheme isn't needed?

I also wonder about what happens if the landlord refuses to pay the $30k.
            They are busy with the 'unlivable' flat that seems like nobody wants to live in. They'll get to this case soon. If they don't get a wof up and running they presumably will lose the $1.4 million grant from the Health Research Council. I'm guessing that's why they are front and centre of any vaguely relevant issue.

Comment

Yeah - that flat that no-one will rent.
              If only we had the rental WOF scheme, then no-one would be able to rent that flat.
              Remind me how would the WOF scheme help in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                Remind me how would the WOF scheme help in this situation?
                Well, it will cause a re-examination of the domiciliary usefulness of a few motorway overpasses, right?

Comment

Actually a WOF scheme could have helped in this case perhaps as if the landlord could prove it was habitable at the rime of tenancy then he was off the hook? These tenants occupied for two years and the rats came from the creek? (what were they feeding on the tenants rubbish???)

As it is they have gone after him for "unconsented garage" which is not a crime and may impinge on District plan or not....the offence becomes technical not emotional???

Comment

I did the same to a nasty landlord when I was a student 8 years ago. It was a TT ruling to pay me back.

Comment

Working...
                    X