who is responsible for changing blown lightbulbs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who is responsible for changing blown lightbulbs

the lightbulbs in question are in a stairway in a massive old house thats been converted into student flats, one of my boys girlfriends lives there and the bulbs have been blown from before they moved in, its not just put a chair on the coffee table and bung them in its a large extension ladder job and not a job a group of female students would be or should be doing, the LL hasnt bothered doing anything about it

Shouldn't your boy be offering to help out the girls??

Anyway, lights should have been working at the time of the tenancy beginning, and being that they are out of reach, the landlord should replace them too!

Comment

na my boy is a lazy arse accounting student who doesnt posess a ladder, nearest he will get to doing it is asking me and i dont really feel like humping my big ladder in there to do the LLs job

Comment

There's a bit about light bulbs here.

Sounds like landlord responsibility (special treatment to fit), though it is a bit vague, especially as they were not working at the start of the tenancy. Is that noted on the initial inspection report? If not they should document the situation back to the LL or they might get pinged at the end. Same with any other maintenance issues.

Do the tenants actually need the lights? If it's a safety issue could they get a couple of those plug in night lights and take them when they leave.

PS Do they know to leave the place 'reasonably clean and tidy, and take lots of dated pics to prove it? Just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
          There's a bit about light bulbs here.

Is that noted on the initial inspection report? If not they should document the situation back to the LL or they might get pinged at the end. Same with any other maintenance issues.

Do the tenants actually need the lights? If it's a safety issue could they get a couple of those plug in night lights and take them when they leave.

PS Do they know to leave the place 'reasonably clean and tidy, and take lots of dated pics to prove it? Just in case.
          just like any other student flat in Dunedin they inspect and sign and pay the bond for them months in advance, the old tenants are in until 30 dec new tenants take over 1st jan, doesn't leave time for the ll to do any maintenance , 12 month student leases are a magical thing lets screw the kids right from the start
          Last edited by jimO; 24-08-2014, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I thought they lived by the light of burning couches?
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
              I thought they lived by the light of burning couches?
              who can blame them

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                . . not a job a group of female students would be or should be doing,
                Carefull there, you'll have the equal-opportunities lot down on you for saying such things.

Comment

The Residential Tenancies Act does not cover who is responsible for light bulbs. But does say if they 'require special treatment to fit' it may fall to the landlord. In this instance in my opinion it is the landlords responsibility.
                  "Don't go mental, we'll manage your rental"

Comment

I wonder just what it is that would
                    constitute "special treatment to fit?"
                    Having two hands? Turning off the
                    light switch? Standing on a chair?

Comment

I would expect light bulbs to be in working condition prior to tenancy. However, if they are blown out and need replacing during tenancy then it is the tenants responsibility.
                      www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                      # Property Management
                      # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                        not a job a group of female students should be doing
                        I knew a girl once upon a time...she was quite skilled, climbed tall ladders and changed lightbulbs, sometimes together.....I even saw her in my treehut...ooops too much info

Comment

I employ a very good handywoman to carry out maintenance work on my rentals.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                            I employ a very good handywoman to carry out maintenance work on my rentals.
                            And I bet she has her own ladder whereas the girls in the flat may be perfectly capable of climbing a ladder with said light bulb in hand but don't have a ladder.
                            They shouldn't have to hire a ladder to change a light bulb - LL responsibility!

Comment

Working...
                            X