1st $25000 Tax free ....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st $25000 Tax free ....

... that's what the Maori Party are offering for your party vote.

Tho it's primarily targeted at low income earners, it must be good for property investors right?

Full story & video viewable here

Kind regards,

Patu
    Be fearless in pursuit of what sets your soul on fire

This is actually good policy, although somewhat expensive. The UK and probably other countries have a similar tax free portion. However, the cost may be less than imagined because it will remove the need for so many government handouts which has got to be good. I could see National supporting that. Has Key commented?
    Labour wouldnt support it because it removes many of the controls they have over workers.
    A National/Maori coalition might be what NZ needs!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpin View Post
      This is actually good policy, although somewhat expensive. The UK and probably other countries have a similar tax free portion. However, the cost may be less than imagined because it will remove the need for so many government handouts which has got to be good. I could see National supporting that. Has Key commented?
      Labour wouldnt support it because it removes many of the controls they have over workers.
      A National/Maori coalition might be what NZ needs!
      I actually asked John about it when he spoke at the APIA meeting. I can't remember his exact comment but it was pretty much a no.

So I guess it depends on how important it is to the maori party and how important the maori party are to the next government.

Thinking out loud: I wonder if this would be difficult to implement (ie, needing more beuracrats) because of the extra risk that people could total evade tax. Eg, 4 jobs paying $24k = $96k tax free. However I guess you don't get the tax free rate unless you have provided your IRD number, and the IR File system should catch anyone underpaying tax.

Comment

Dig deeper into Maori party policies and there is some real gold in there. Its frustrating that Nats can't get past some relatively minor issues (Maori seats etc) and find the wealth of common ground that they have idelogically.... that said, Key's Nats are a world away from the traditional National party ideology so maybe there is no surprise there.
        two ears and just one mouth.. for good reason.

Comment

I like the idea of less hand outs and less tax for low earners - National must be on that wavelength too given they want less beneficiaries etc. This would also help businesses too.

Maybe 25K is a bit high.

Cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I have just been reminded that ACT also promote a tax free threshhold.

Comment

A Tax Free threshold to 20k is more likely and I think is the way forward. I saw a program on Tangata Pasifika the other day on members of the Shop Floor and Workers Union. It was heartbreaking to see how hard they all worked (2 jobs or more)and for little income.
              Rather than raise the minimum wage and cost the employer (and jobs maybe) just give them more in the hand through less Tax.
              Dont get me started on how Unions are abusing these people through controlling the infomation they get and the (lack of) choices they get.
              I could have wept.

Comment

I agree with this policy too. It'll never be done because the governments like their money. I'm voting National, and I hope either a) they can govern alone or b) form a coalition with the Maoris, Act & Peter Dunne.

Ddavid
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Our Survey results also suggest we are supporting National

See Discussion

Cheers,

Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

However, many low income people (including some of my family) are paying little tax now, or negative tax. After Working For Families, accommodation supplement, heavily subsidised state house rent and recent tax cuts. In fact I would not be at all surprised if many low income people are better off now than for many years, especially if they have children. It is fine for parties to propose these things but they should at the same time say how they will be funded. I have been impressed that National has been doing just that, not that everyone necessarily agrees with what may get cut to fund new things. Same with the Maori Party wanting Christmas bonuses for some people. Where is that money coming from? Pita Sharples did talk a little about the multiplier effect but nothing substantial to say how much the tax take would increase because of the handout. Until there are a few facts on the table, this is just electioneering puffery in my book.
                    Last edited by artemis; 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by captaincrab View Post
                      A Tax Free threshold to 20k is more likely and I think is the way forward. I saw a program on Tangata Pasifika the other day on members of the Shop Floor and Workers Union. It was heartbreaking to see how hard they all worked (2 jobs or more)and for little income.
                      Rather than raise the minimum wage and cost the employer (and jobs maybe) just give them more in the hand through less Tax.
                      Dont get me started on how Unions are abusing these people through controlling the infomation they get and the (lack of) choices they get.
                      I could have wept.
                      Let us hope these people are seriously supporting their children to get a decent education and better paid jobs in the future. Sorry to sound like a grinch, but plenty of low income earners have made choices which placed and now keep them in these positions. Don't want to go into details here, but I have seen this extensively first hand. They may not be able to move up the ladder themselves now but their kids could.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        I agree with this policy too. It'll never be done
                        because the governments like their money.
                        And why do they 'like their tax money?'
                        Because of this aspect?
                        Originally posted by Jumpin
                        Labour wouldn't support it because it removes
                        many of the controls they have over workers.
                        And why do they want such control? Enhanced
                        re-election prospects?
                        Last edited by Perry; 08-11-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Is that a rhetorical question Perry?

If not then: yes! lol

Comment

I agree with this policy too. It'll never be done because the governments like their money. I'm voting National, and I hope either .... form a coalition with the Maori, Act & Peter Dunne.

Ddavid
                            Going by John Key's victory speech (what I heard of it sounded pretty down to earth. I was some what inspired by the fact that he was raised in a state house & has managed to elevate himself to multi million dollar status) sounz like you've gotten your wish as is.

I'm a little surprised (nothing new tho, I was even more surprised when he visited Tuhoe after the Police blundered terrorism raids in Ruatoki last year) he still wants to have talks with the Maori Party, bearing in mind Act & UF give National sufficient clout to govern.

Actions speak louder than words, so whether the talks with the Maori Party actually goes ahead on Monday (as he indicated) remains to be seen, if it does? I hope the outcome is a good one, not just for maori but for the country as a whole.

Let us hope these people are seriously supporting their children to get a decent education and better paid jobs in the future.
                            Amen.

Sorry to sound like a grinch, but plenty of low income earners have made choices which placed and now keep them in these positions.
                            Can't disagree with that one. Sometimes we get ourselves into a particular rut or mindset, that we can't see our way out of it.

Education or knowledge (put into action) is the key. In saying that it doesn't have to be with any particular (tho it has some benefits) Tertiary or formal institution either.

Don't want to go into details here, but I have seen this extensively first hand.
                            Likewise.

They may not be able to move up the ladder themselves now but their kids could.
                            Amen to that.

& bearing in mind there are presently interest free (hope it stays that way? Maybe National will start charging interest?) student loans & free courses out there to help them do that.

Just hope that most of these parents are unselfishly doing that?

...This would also help businesses too.

Donna
                            How so Donna? Please clarify?

Thanx in advance,

Patu
                            Last edited by Patu; 09-11-2008, 08:58 AM.
                            Be fearless in pursuit of what sets your soul on fire

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                              I agree with this policy too. It'll never be done because the governments like their money.
                              Ddavid

it was so some years ago (before your time as you are far too young) and I know it is so in England and Aus.(and probally lots of other countries too) so why not here. It must create a lot of extra paperwork with e.g. kids doing paper rounds and delivering leaflets etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X