mould any answers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mould any answers??

have got a block of flats, upstairs- downstairs. and in one particular flat there is a bad mould problem on the ceilings, have cleaned them down with mould killer but back again with a vengence.
    are there any solutions other than the obvious, ventilation,let sunlight in, etc
    cheers
    shane

Firstly, neat bleach is great for killing it off and much cheaper.

If it's only one particular flat, I'd be asking myself "why this one?". Is there a leak somewhere that might be causing it?

If it's always been a problem, maybe it's just the tenant not cleaing or ventilating properly. Some people seem to like keeping everything shut. Would security catches on the windows help?

cheers,
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

If you have a ceiling space then install a ventilation system eg DVS, HRV, etc.
      A bit pricey ~2.5K but work well.

An extractor fan or shower dome in the bathroom maybe a cheaper option.

Why tenants find it impossible to open a window is one of lifes mysteries...
      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Some good options so far.

A- Look at the problem and why? Is it ventilation? No sunlight, trees, leaking etc.
        B- Next time you paint add an additive to the paint to stop mould regrowth. Very cheap from bunnings.

Comment

Which one??

Originally posted by chook View Post
          have got a block of flats, upstairs- downstairs. and in one particular flat there is a bad mould problem on the ceilings, have cleaned them down with mould killer but back again with a vengence.
          are there any solutions other than the obvious, ventilation,let sunlight in, etc
          cheers
          shane
          You don't specify which flat it is. Downstairs flat - could be a problem with the upstairs flat's plumbing (ie shower leaking - here's hoping not!). Upstairs flat - leaking roof perhaps/maybe??

Or could just be a case of thick tenant not ever opening windows. Resolution - get rid of tenant or put in DVS. Problem with that is, if other tenants see this, they'll want DVS as well. Ends up being expensive.
          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

thanks guys, yes it is an upstairs flat, second tenant in a row in this particular flat . just got back from checking it out and i dont think they have opened a window since moving in!!!
            condensation on all windows in arvo!!!
            tenant says to me `i didnt notice the mould` i say to tenant `dont buy your mushrooms from the supermarket, pick them fresh from your bedroom ceiling`!
            anyway. result, cleaners are cleaning flat at tenants cost, they have been lectured again on opening windows and dehumidifier is in operation.

Comment

Can you install window security latches? That way they can leave window slightly open without being worried about security.

Comment

good thinking whitt, there are about 4 windows they can leave open during the day as they are about 6-7 meters off the ground! so no excuse. cheers

Comment

Yep maybe throw security locks on them and they can keep open 1-2 inches.

Comment

Better window security locks are the hidden ones.
                    Much easier to use than those fiddly side ones.

Stainless Steel Restricter Stay:
                    Last edited by PC; 05-06-2008, 08:30 AM.
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

If it's a good one, the dehumidifier is the
                      way to go.

They aren't expensive to run - $3-4 a week,
                      on average. And you don't pay the electricity
                      bill, anyway. Too late now, but some brands
                      are better in colder weather than others.
                      Is the property in a warm or cold area of NZ?
                      Or in the shadow of hills, perhaps?

Comment

I'd go for window latches (cheap), and/or an extractor fan. Hook the fan up to the light switch so the tenants will actually use it. You can get a timer so it will stay on 10 minutes or so after the light is switched off, but they are a bit pricey, and some tenants find it annoying.

Comment

Agree with spurner. Extractor fan hooked up to light switch. Also make sure any clothes dryer vents outside (you may need to install a pipe).

When you clean the surface, if you use baking soda, it will prevent any mold and mildew from growing.This is because the PH factor in the baking soda is not conducive to mold growth and mold, especially black mold will not grow when it is present. I have heard vinegar has a similar effect - just test it first.

Don't forget to clean the carpet to get rid of mold spores. Piles of books and soft furnishings can also hold damp.

Check the seals around the bath/shower to make sure no water is getting into the walls.

Comment

I know we like to tell LL's to put securityy stays on their windows but have to admit the only property I've ever had broken into had them on. The burgler took hold of the window and twisted the aluminium frame thus tearing the security stays right off. Have also heard recently that having a window open on a security stay while not at home can void contents insurance.. maybe an urban myth but don't know.

Comment

Oh and its not just tnts that don't oepn windows and don't notice mould. Over the yrs have been in many a owner occupied home that is mouldy even down to totally black shower boxes and black ceilings in the bedrooms.

Comment

Working...
                              X