• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is wealth to you ?

True wealth to me is being truly your own boss in that
    you do not have to answer to anybody and everything is
    managed for you. Having enough money to be able to relax
    when I want to and engage in my passions.

Wealth. Being able to help and be useful to other people. Being in a family. Being loved. Respected. Well regarded. Knowing there are people who care about you.

Everything else is just things.

Comment

Heh, just things indeed and I agree with you Winston001. But if there's an expensive health or dental issue, then to me wealth is being able to pay privately without hesitation.

Comment

Good answers above.

Hard to answer financially with a $ value of what wealth is because every time I increase my income, the definition of "wealthy" moves up. Putting a dollar value on wealth is not a game you ever win. In fact, I think it tends to make you less wealthy in some ways because the more time we put into financial gains, the less time we have for the other things that really matter. Like everything, it's a balancing act!
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Yes great replies.

Wise words Drelly.

Peace of mind also wealth to me, and the endorphins released after exercise.

Comment

NBR Rich Lister calls out the super wealthy

In his own extremely polite way Sir James Wallace is angry. New Zealand is travelling towards a spectacular head-on he says, in nicer words. And his fellow rich listers will be to blame.

And the message is that New Zealand's latest crop of super wealthy are also super selfish.
            In Wallace's ever-polite words, "they haven't grown up being used to giving money, away it appears."
            They are the reason, he believes, that the gap between the rich and the poor in New Zealand is growing.

As far as Wallace is concerned, money doesn't belong to any of us.
            We simply manage it for the good of our community and our society.
            If we do the job well, "then many more people will benefit than just yourself."

Comment

Bordering on communism that attidude of Wallace.

The rich that are not sharing the pie enough need to do so !

Wealthiest man in New Zealand an ex panelbeater, so much for
              needing a commerce degree.

Comment

"But he's not a politician, and there's not much more he can do apart from giving himself, and encouraging others to do the same.

"The sad thing about it is the people who have the ability to contribute back [and don't] ... are missing out on the absolute return you get for supporting, say, the arts," he says.

"It results in really exponential returns.
                There is a joy in giving support to things that matter.""

Comment

No need to give money away by any rich lister, much more
                  employee self respect to be had by receiving a decent days
                  wage for a decent days work.
                  Who wants charity ? His words better than nothing though.

Comment

I agree we need a better work ethic and the education starts in childhood. The Chinese have a saying "a short time young, a long time old". When they are young they learn how to be good adults and how to survive as adults. Quite a different philosophy to us - we believe kids should be allowed to be kids as childhood doesn't last very long. The only issue with this approach is so many remain as kids when they're well into adulthood. They don't have a work ethic, they lack discipline and self control. It may be why we have so many intergenerational beneficiaries.

I get having play time in childhood is good for innovation later on however it's not really what NZ is good at anymore. We have very few new innovators.

Just a few thoughts.

cheers,

Donna
                    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                      They don't have a work ethic, they lack discipline and self control. It may be why we have so many intergenerational beneficiaries.

I get having play time in childhood is good for innovation later on however it's not really what NZ is good at anymore. We have very few new innovators.
                      You are sounding old Donna.
                      I think every generation says the same.

Comment

Originally posted by tulips View Post
                        No need to give money away by any rich lister, much more
                        employee self respect to be had by receiving a decent days
                        wage for a decent days work.
                        Who wants charity ? His words better than nothing though.
                        While there is no compunction for anyone to give away anything I suspect what Wallace was really on about was the need to develop a caring environment.
                        I would rather live in a society where people respect and help one another than one where it is every man (or woman) for themselves.

Giving does have its rewards and being selfish does no one any good.

Comment

Good thoughts there Donna

Who would have thought Ghandi being reincarnated in the Tron.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            You are sounding old Donna.
                            I think every generation says the same.

With age comes wisdom! I'm now 51 - so I might be old to you.

cheers,

Donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Wealth to me is my FAMILY

Comment

Working...
                              X