Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tenant loses keys - who pays for new ones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenant loses keys - who pays for new ones?

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check, our tenant says she had her bag stolen, got it all back but not her keys. I can't find anything about keys, only locks, in the RTA. There is a garage remote worth $80 on her key ring. My guess is she pays for new keys and remote (or claims insurance). Am I right in this?

Thanks for any advice
    Lucy

Tenant should pay.
    Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

You provided them with the keys and remote, they lost it, then they pay for it.
      Last edited by Momo; 07-05-2012, 07:34 PM.

Comment

might pay to replace the locks as whoever took her bag probably knows where she lives

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
          might pay to replace the locks as whoever took her bag probably knows where she lives
          That's what I'm wondering about too. I don't see how she can get robbed, get her stuff back but not the keys. I'm being very cynical about it quite frankly, as she asked about getting a flat mate last week. Can I charge her for changing the locks? It's a pain as they are on Ranch sliders.

Comment

I would usally get everything fixed and send the tenant the bill....make sure she gets a police report
            Property Management Auckland

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainLoo View Post
              That's what I'm wondering about too. I don't see how she can get robbed, get her stuff back but not the keys. I'm being very cynical about it quite frankly, as she asked about getting a flat mate last week. Can I charge her for changing the locks? It's a pain as they are on Ranch sliders.
              I presume you have spare keys? About changing the locks I dont think you will need to replace the locks on your ranchslider , you can get the locks re keyed by a locksmith. And if you have more than 1 ranchslider you can have them keyed the same.I'd say the tenant has to pay for this as its only fair & reasonable.

Comment

You don't need to replace the locks, just get the key tumblers replaced.

IMHO, the tenant should pay for the re-fitting of the locks and the replacement of the remote.

You might also want to change the settings on the remote when you get it. Takes a bit of doing but you'll be able to get help from one of the forumites on here, I'm sure.

It all sounds a bit fishy. Lost bag but only had keys/remote stolen??? Hmmm.

For SECURITY PURPOSES (this is the term you use with the tenant) these things have to be fixed/replaced and even though her bag was stolen, it is her responsibility to make sure things are secure. Otherwise, SHE MIGHT BE BURGLED BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS ACCESS TO HER HOUSE.

Of course, she's going to say it's not fair, it was my bag that was stolen, etc blah blah blah, but that's life. Sometimes it's not fair.
                Last edited by essence; 08-05-2012, 11:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
                Patience is a virtue.

Comment

And sometimes tenants
                  don't have insurance.
                  Wonder why?

Comment

I don't think most are aware they can be held liable if they burn the place down etc.

Comment

what if they just gave a set to their new "partner"

not going to want you to change the locks...
                      have you defeated them?
                      your demons

Comment

Originally posted by essence View Post
                        it is her responsibility to make sure things are secure.
                        Nope. It's the landlords responsibility to make sure things are secure. Liability for payment for the replacements can be worked out later.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

I have a tenant who's tenancy ends tomorrow, she's lost the keys .She's moved out already, inspection is tomorrow. She came around to ask me to let her borrow the spare keys i have .I gave her them asking her to return them straight away.I live next door to the property. She hasn't returned them , quite annoying .I guess she will show up tomorow with them at the final inspection. I sent her a text asking her to return them now.Maybe i'm just being a little pedantic.Wonder if she knows she could be liable insurance wise if in the interim something happens & i cant get it in the property to sort out an emergency?
                          I'm thinking of future proofing lost key issues by writing something in my tenancy agreement. Anyone do this?

Comment

I don't see any way of future-proofing
                            giving the LL set to the tenant. Apart
                            from going with the tenant to give
                            access and leaving with the keys.

I use a master key system. I provide
                            a letter of authorisation to the tenant,
                            if the keys are lost.

Tenant goes to locksmith, hands over
                            the letter, gets the replacement keys
                            and pays for them.

No pay - no key. House is secure. No
                            problem.

Comment

Just wait until they lose/break a garage door opener!
                              $80+ - you should hear 'em squeal!
                              The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Working...
                              X