Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't - for a moment - believe Glenn was advocating
    anything like that. But there are certainly some major
    inequities that need some form of thoughtful appraisal.

As an example, ACC is in the gun sights of the W'gton
    woodenheads. Yet the very same woodenheads have
    legislation on the Statute books that covers foreigners
    (by ACC), despite said visitors paying not a razoo in
    any form of premium. I.e. the taxpayers - you & me -
    are paying accident insurance premiums for tourists.

Nice of us, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
      Glenn surely you're not saying we should let people a) Move to our country illegally, b) apply and get a benefit or 2 illegally and c) pillage our fisheries and commit other crimes all with no penalty? At all?
      Sure I know squat about our immigration laws but I did not think we regard people who enter the country legally but stay beyond the expiry as having committed a crime.
      If they did then obviously they would be picked up by the police as soon as they apply for an extension or permanent status.
      My daughter is in UK at the moment. She is permitted to stay on beyond her stated 6 months permit because she has been given a job in a skill shortage area.
      Sure we have a range of strange laws such as association and tainting.
      Is everyone who gets tainted by someone that we do not even know their name, like I have been, get deported to Prussia (a country that no longer exists) because three generations ago a long dead, lost and disgraced great grandfather came from there.
      People are not guilty on the basis of race.

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        ... People are not guilty on the basis of race.
        That is true of course, but they are guilty if found to be so by a court in NZ. Which is the case here with the mother on HD. There are often consequences of being found guilty in court - difficulty getting a job or travelling overseas, deportation - to name just a couple.

The tenant in Glenn's case has run up against some consequences, and now it is time for her to deal with these.

It is not the LL's problem unless they wish to accept it, ie risk of little or no rent.

Comment

Glenn, I'm not saying they are guilty on the basis of their race. I don't care if they're Italian, French, US, UK, Tongan or Red Indian.

What I do care about is that they have come here, violated all our rules, recieved a bucketload more help and compassion than people get in their own country and now we're supposed to feel sorry for them and offer them more compassion? Well I think there needs to be some individual accountabiltiy and responsibility here.

These people had the chance to come here, get a job like everyone else, earn some money and pay some tax to support their new country. Instead they decided to rip of the benefit system and decimate the environment. And for that they need to be punished. Like they are now. And then they should have to go back to whence they came because they have proven themselves unworthy of citizenship in our country.

David
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Well this week I managed to get two weeks rent out of them. That does not clear the debt but makes me ahead if they get evicted by the time the bond money is added to the equation.
            Mediation is scheduled for this Monday.
            I wonder if they will turn up.
            I got a great big smile when I said I had organised a translator.

Comment

Best of luck Glenn. Besides your skill
              and a translator, luck may help.

Comment

Well I had my day in mediation.
                The translator was not available when required,
                The stupid system does not allow for booking a session.
                I think the tenant understood the process.
                I got my money at $20 extra per week.
                The tenants got to keep the house.
                The owner should be happy because she will get her money.
                The probation service (department of corrections) because they do not need to find another room in their over full jails.

Win win win win.

Comment

Hhhhmmm, Glenn. Seems good, but . . . .

Did you really:
                  "I got my money at $20 extra per week?"

Or did you just get a TT order that says
                  you should?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    Hhhhmmm, Glenn. Seems good, but . . . .

Did you really:
                    "I got my money at $20 extra per week?"

Or did you just get a TT order that says
                    you should?
                    Sure there is a delay.
                    Landlords have to understand that $20 extra per week is far better than collecting the full arrears from the bond and replacing an existing tenant with someone that has not been broken in.
                    The extra money is coming in every week.
                    You can not expect a completely no hassle, "never hear from the tenant", relationship.
                    The best tenant that any landlord can hope for is one that happlily pays every week and does not cause any problem to the neighbour or the property.
                    When the tenant is on HD and WINZ pays them sufficient to pay me the world is wonderful. If the tenant was thrown out and they had to live with relatives the money that WINZ pays out would drop.
                    That surely is money that can then never be recovered. This is not a debt it is worse. Lost earning capacity and lost hope.
                    The society that I operate in would suffer. Less money to keep the wheels of society turning, less demand on houses, and ultimately lower rents because one less house is needed.

Comment

My sister got a TT order. She also got
                      no money. The tenant not being a WINZ
                      beneficiary could be the diefference.
                      Great that you're getting your $20.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                        My sister got a TT order. She also got
                        no money. The tenant not being a WINZ
                        beneficiary could be the diefference.
                        Great that you're getting your $20.
                        Well I do not have a sister.
                        Of the 50 applications a year I make to the tribunal very few end up with a money order and no money.
                        True a reasonable percentage of them end up with an eviction but then I get both the bond back and most get an attachment against their wages.
                        If you start the tenancy by gathering up all the data about a tenant it is far more likely that you will bring home the bacon.

Comment

Look back at the thread, Glenn.
                          There's lots to it, as you may
                          recall, once you've re-visited
                          the saga.

Comment

Working...
                          X