Round Taupo and Bike The Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Carex View Post
    There is a big one very close to you ... and plenty around the area too.

I'm keen to do some rides during the winter, as I find these hot days a bit taxing to do any. I'd be keen to do some rides with you.
    I'm not doing THAT one for A LONG time!! LOL

I've pm'd you - I'm keen for the hills closer to you....
    Last edited by rueben; 28-02-2008, 06:01 PM.

Comment

• Ok boys and girls

Nobody saw my reluctance as their opportunity to shine... so I'll take up the challenge.

I reckon we should keep the organisation side low key and aim for
      • PT branding opportunity but not trying to win the "outlandish outfit" award
      • Team support crew - ie all the partners who are coming but aren't riding support all of us who are...
      • Dinner the night before at someones hotel - masses of pasta etc and an early night
      • Get together for dinner the night after (for those sticking around)

As mentioned earlier it would be great to get a sponsor for any kit we decide to get. I'd appreciate if Donna could do that side of things

For any Aucklanders - Avanti Mt Eden just had this in their newsletter
      Taupo 2008 - get prepared!

We have invited Aaron Strong and Amy Taylor from the cycle training company Kinetic Edge to do a presentation to any interested custys of the Mt Eden store. The date is 17th March at 7pm. I recommend anyone wanting to improve on their Taupo time or wanting to tackle the challenge for the first time come along and have a listen to the 2 best coaches in the Auckland area.
      Charging enough rent?
      NZ Scams to Avoid
      Add a sleepout to your rental property

Comment

• Good on you Sarah for putting your hand up. (Or was it the case that everyone else put two hands down?)

Paul.

Comment

• Yay - thanks Sarahk...I'll work on the sponsor.

To all of you.....please come forward with your contacts (anyone) that think would be worth approaching please let me know...it's for a wonderful cause ($$ to Charity) so no doubt there will be lots of us keen to support our teams.

Cheers,

Donna
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

• Hi guys - are the plans progressing? There is a chance I might end up doing the race again, but I won't be able to make a final commitment til a bit further down the track. It would be nice to know that I could be a late joiner tho.

Gerrard

P.S. I hope Paul's doing some 1am rides already to get in shape for the big day!

Comment

• Hi Gerrard

Plans are quietly ticking over. I'll be catching up with Donna later this month to sip the local produce and talk tactics.

The only reason to put pressure on the "team" to commit will be when we're working out the kit & caboodle. We don't have a date for that yet so start doing the miles and see how it goes.

I went to a talk by Kinetic Edge and they reckon we need to be training by the end of April if you want to get a good time. Get out 5x a week and start getting in some 120km rides. Apparently we don't need to train over 160km, phew!
              Charging enough rent?
              NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

• Sounds good. Look forward to hearing the plans.

Originally posted by sarahk View Post
                I went to a talk by Kinetic Edge and they reckon we need to be training by the end of April if you want to get a good time. Get out 5x a week and start getting in some 120km rides. Apparently we don't need to train over 160km, phew!

Wow, I wonder what they mean by a "good time" (sub 4h )

I used the training plan (12 weeks I think) off the event website and found it was pretty good. I ended up with a couple of weeks off around the middle due to weather and other commitments, then the last few weeks I probably went a bit harder than the plan. Ended up doing it in 6 hours on a mountain bike, after not being particularly bike-fit before I started training.

So if you want a super human time then I guess start early. If it's just a recreational challenge and you're likely to lose interest with 8 months training then I reckon stick to the 12 week plan.

Gerrard

Comment

• Their idea of a "good time" was allowing for personal ability

But I know what you mean about the 8 months prep. And I'm in awe of anyone doing it on a mountain bike. I've toured on a mountain bike but...

I certainly won't be taking such a single minded focus and giving up running and swimming (for example) just so I can do 5 bike days. That said, I've found running easier after a ride which seems perverse...
                  Charging enough rent?
                  NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

• ...with road tires so that helped. Have just recently learned how bad my technique is tho so I have a lot of relearning to do over winter.

I was amazed how much my running suffered when I did bike only for a month.Top triathletes are pretty much top cyclists so I figure there has got to be a lot gained from the cross training. Got to kep it interesting eh?

Comment

• But I know what you mean about the 8 months prep. And I'm in awe of anyone doing it on a mountain bike. I've toured on a mountain bike but...
                      hehe I will be doing it on a mountain bike.....but I am only doing 40km so I think that should be okay aye!

Yep - next weekend for the BIG planning session Sarah - Sat or Sun any good for you? umm best to email the reply I spose.

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

• I see

I see that the entry fee is to be held at the same price as last year for the lake race, so it says in the Taupo Times today.
                        Not like property prices.

Comment

• You mean they haven't crashed?

Or are they meant to rise... I get so confused... I must get better advice
                          As a past supporter of our event, we are pleased to let you know that entries are now open for the 2008 Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge.

Again this year we are working on putting together a fantastic line up of spot prizes including travel packages, bikes and electronics. So check out our website now www.cyclechallenge.com or if you don't need any more convincing register straight away HERE.
                          Last edited by sarahk; 16-07-2008, 12:37 AM. Reason: added content from their email received today :)
                          Charging enough rent?
                          NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

• Well, my cycling this winter has been abysmal. I blame sick parents, my training buddy getting a job and my kids tying me up all weekend so I can't get long rides in.

Even so, if PT want to be at Taupo, I'll be there, but I'll probably drive back to auckland that night as my kids have a hectic weekend on and I'd like to be part of it.

I've created a "social group" for us too - so we can chat away there (http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/group.php?groupid=1) or here.
                            Charging enough rent?
                            NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

• Just a reminder
                              29 November 2008 is the big day..
                              "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

• Yep I haven't even been on a bike this year! My attendance is not looking good I am sorry to say.

Cheers,

Donna

I have joined the social group and will assist where possible

Comment

Working...
                                X