Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So the bullshit from the Meth industry ain't over yet,

A Balclutha rental property is believed to be the first in South Otago to test positive for methamphetamine contamination, but commercial cleaners say it is just the tip of the iceberg.
    Landlord Mark Cowan, of Dunedin, was "devastated'' by the news his rental property in Balclutha had been contaminated by a previous tenant who had smoked the class A drug, also known as P or Ice.
    The level of contamination was such he had been told all the carpet and wall linings would need to be removed, and everything else would need to be decontaminated with special chemicals by cleaners wearing hazmat suits.
    It was estimated the process would cost about $16,000, plus the cost of repainting and recarpeting the house, to meet the standards for re-renting and safe living.

Landlord "devastated'' that his rental property had been contaminated by previous tenant.

Comment

• Yay and long may it continue. Bring it on.

Comment

• Notice there is no mention of the level of p?
        Yep - more bullshit from the meth-cleaning industry.

Comment

• And no metion of differant levels of contamination in differant rooms. Often the highest readings are in bathrooms which is often the room of choice. I hope the LL does his homework before he gets the cleaning company in!

Comment

• Sign of the times. A meth testing company is advertising their services with a special deal on Treat me in Auckland.

Comment

• Be interesting to know what the cost of fixing up the HNZ house next to my sons place in Beach Haven. Hazard signs at front and back did not deter us from looking through the windows. Paint has been stripped from all joinery, carpet lifted, window furnishings gone. Older male who lived there regularly in and out of prison. Place has been empty for 6 months now which is a shame as its a 5 bedroom state house on big flat fenced site. Must be lots of families out there would like to have it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Viking View Post
                So the bullshit from the Meth industry ain't over yet,

The level of contamination was such he had been told all the carpet and wall linings would need to be removed, and everything else would need to be decontaminated with special chemicals by cleaners wearing hazmat suits.
                It was estimated the process would cost about $16,000, plus the cost of repainting and recarpeting the house, to meet the standards for re-renting and safe living.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/n...ectid=12000298
                If p had only been smoked in there, then a $500 wash of the walls with sugar soap would reduce the reading down to the required level.
                I hope this landlord finds this thread on PropertyTalk and doesn't fall for this meth cleanup scammers report.

Comment

• This one is a good read.
                  https://forms.justice.govt.nz/search/Documents/TTV2/135893187.pdf

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                    Well done to the Tenancy Tribunal.

Well done also to the Landlord/PM involved , good preparation has provided the right result. This works every time !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                      Interesting references to precedents.

Something the TT often does not take into account. (unless it suits the TT, of course)

Comment

• A few property talkers out there very quiet! Doesn't happen in my backyard and not to one of my properties. Yeah right. Great to see and fantastic to see some precedent.

Comment

• So I've skimmed about 40 pages of this but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

If you clean a rental that you tested that came in above the limit that is now well under the limit do you

a) need to notify prospective tenants that the property once tested above the current limit?

b) when you sell do you need to disclose the historical meth reading even if it is now under the current limit?

Comment

• Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                            So I've skimmed about 40 pages of this but can't find the answer I'm looking for.

If you clean a rental that you tested that came in above the limit that is now well under the limit do you

a) need to notify prospective tenants that the property once tested above the current limit?

b) when you sell do you need to disclose the historical meth reading even if it is now under the current limit?
                            No
                            No

Comment

• Thanks, I agree with this line of thinking but I'm being challenged by agents and others so wanted to be clear, is this your opinion or is there some ruling I can review?

any other POV or help pointing in the right direction?

Comment

• Let me think, if you were buying a house, would you want to know if it had at one time tested positive for meth, or would you prefer to be kept in the dark and perhaps find out about it from a neighbour after you have purchased? Law is one thing, ethics is another.

Comment

Working...
                                X