Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meth or P related - it goes here, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (oops..1/300th is probably more accurate)

Comment

• or maybe not (sorry about all the replies)
      The Government spent $52m on testing and housing repairs for meth. Health experts say the money would be much better spent targeting asbestos.

Comment

• I recently had a contaminated house with levels of around 4.0. Cleaned the place with sugar soap and repainted inside and levels came back fine. It was empty for 3 months because we were mucked around by the insurance company and the different departments within the insurance company regarding deliberate damage, meth contamination and asbestos.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chewbucca View Post
          I recently had a contaminated house with levels of around 4.0. Cleaned the place with sugar soap and repainted inside and levels came back fine.
          Does the risdual contaminants come through the paint after a while? Just wandering what result you’ll get in six months and again in a year.

Comment

• Some great info and articles .... thank you community. Demystifying this subject can only help. I'll pass the info on.

Comment

• Originally posted by FeverPitch View Post
              Some great info and articles .... thank you community. Demystifying this subject can only help. I'll pass the info on.
              Hi FeverPitch, I haven't read the articles above. But to answer your post

1) This just sounds like a screening test. The level is meaningless. It just shows, yes there is Meth.
              This kind of test is generally all the rooms combined together. So for example it could mean each of the 5 rooms was 0.2, and added together the overall reading was 1(would be some distortion too). Or more likely some rooms are higher and some have nothing.

2) They have meth of some level, so a full test would determine exact levels in each room and whether there is an issue.

3) my guess would be that if under the limit, not need to disclose and isn't a reason for a tenant to cancel a tenancy. Only my guess on this one.

Ross
              Book a free chat here
              Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

Comment

• Originally posted by Learning View Post
                Does the risdual contaminants come through the paint after a while? Just wandering what result you’ll get in six months and again in a year.
                There will be no residual contaminants.
                The sugar soap removes them and the repaint makes the walls look like new.

Comment

• Originally posted by FeverPitch View Post
                  Hi

A friend of mine who owns an apartment in Wellington CBD has received an email from his property managers regarding a meth test.

A clean house is 0.04. Legal limit is 1.5 and his came in as 1.0!

As a consequence the new signing tenants have decided to walk away.

There is no problem.
                  The reading is so low it is harmless.
                  The tenant walked away - no problem - plenty more tenants in Wellington.
                  There isn't even a need to disclose this test result.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                    There isn't even a need to disclose this test result.
                    Exactly, why would the PM do this ? The wording required is along the lines of "The property has been tested for methamphetamine contamination and the result is below the MoH guidelines. It will need to be tested and found to have a similar result at the end of the tenancy"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                      There is no problem.
                      The reading is so low it is harmless.
                      Actually at this stage you don't know. This sounds like a screening test, so it has indicated there is Meth. Some rooms could be over 1.5 and some could be under. From the screening test there is no way of knowing.

Ross
                      Book a free chat here

Comment

• great thank you Ross. My friend is going to attempt to see what the property manager can do first before looking for an external meth cleaning company. He's planning to sell within a year so important to get this sorted asap

Comment

• You don't need a cleaning company yet, as you don't know if there is an issue.

Get the full test done, then you will have full details!

Ross
                          Book a free chat here

Comment

• I have done a meth testing course and was going to add it onto my existing business. Hubby did a course to clean up meth contamination but more interested in cleaning up houses that have to be stripped and regibbed.
                            I always get a meth test done on my rental before a tenant moves in, also show them a copy of the results so they know what to expect when they vacate.
                            The levels have been elevated as there are so many HNZ properties affected and the tenants have to vacate to clean up.
                            The levels do differ around the house, most smoking is done in the toilet, bathroom or laundry or by an open window so these are the areas that are definitely tested.
                            I decided not to do meth testing when I was advised to wear booties over my shoes, disposable overalls, respirator and gloves when testing. And thats just for smoking not manufacture.
                            A family member has 2 good friends currently affected by meth, one has flown off to Oz to escape the debt he left behind the other has a 1 year old child and has borrowed money off loan sharks and is in deep doodah.
                            I wouldn't want to be living in a place that showed a reading of 1. Would suggest your friend get cleaners in to wash down the walls, sugar soap will do, clean the window coverings and carpet and then get another test done.

Comment

• Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                              I wouldn't want to be living in a place that showed a reading of 1.
                              And you base that on what?
                              Any science behind the idea that over 1 is an issue?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                And you base that on what?
                                Any science behind the idea that over 1 is an issue?
                                It used to be .5 then elevated to 1.5. Yes there is plenty of factual evidence available online as to the effects of meth.
                                The woman that took the course I did was a scientist and had written the guidelines for accreditation. Currently there is no accreditation that you can achieve to substantiate your skills and knowledge. It is due to come in soon though.
                                So based on what I learned and how meth affects your health, I personally would not want to live in a property that had a reading of 1.

Comment

Working...
                                X