Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Perry View Post
    What Keys is getting at (I suspect)
    Nope, you got me wrong there Perry. By all means, inspect every three months. Just do not put that into the TA. Having it in there removes your right to do an impromptu inspection if the neighbours are complaining about noise etc.

When I say impromptu inspection, I mean one later than 28 days and earlier than your 3 months. I always like to do an inspection on sitting troublesome tenants on the morning of a TT hearing.

www.3888444.co.nz
    Facebook Page

Comment

So far I have a standard tenancy agreement ready to be filled out, and a side document of conditions valid until one of the occupants is 18. As they are still under 18 I think it's best to have some separate conditions.

My conditions until one of them is 18 are:

-Rent payment day is Thursday, it is to be paid every Thursday. If you cannot make rent payments you must let me know early, and I will give you 7 days to come up with the rent. If you get in arrears by any longer than 3 weeks, you will be given notice to move on.

- Inspections will be carried out at 7 days notice. If there are any complaints from neighbours or police, the landlord must be allowed to visit the premises with 24 hours notice.

- There is to be no excessive noise beyond reasonable hours, if you wish to throw a party you will need to check with the landlord and also speak to neighbours to make sure that it is alright with them. If there are noise complaints from neighbours or visits from police this could result in you no longer holding the tenancy.

- There is to be no illegal substances on the property, if there is any trace of this found it could result in you no longer holding the tenancy.

- All gardens and lawns are to be kept tidy.

- General clean and tidiness needs to be maintained. This means opening windows and curtains to allow air in the house, disposing of household waste on rubbish day.

- If you wish to change anything about the house eg: paint the walls, put up new curtains etc. You will need to consult the landlord first.

- If something breaks or becomes damaged, you will need to alert your landlord to arrange repairs.

- If you need to move out you are required to give 21 days written notice and leave the house clean and tidy.

This separate agreement is only valid until Wednesday 31 July 2013, re-evaluation of the agreement will be organised closer to the date.
      Last edited by newz2013; 23-04-2013, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by newz2013 View Post
        So far I have a standard tenancy agreement ready to be filled out, and a side document of conditions valid until one of the occupants is 18. As they are still under 18 I think it's best to have some separate conditions.

My conditions until one of them is 18 are:

-Rent payment day is Thursday, it is to be paid every Thursday. If you cannot make rent payments you must let me know early, and I will give you 7 days to come up with the rent. If you get in arrears by any longer than 3 weeks, you will be given notice to move on.
        Nope

- Inspections will be carried out at 7 days notice. If there are any complaints from neighbours or police, the landlord must be allowed to visit the premises with 24 hours notice.
        Nope, my assumption is that you want to go inside.

- There is to be no excessive noise beyond reasonable hours, if you wish to throw a party you will need to check with the landlord and also speak to neighbours to make sure that it is alright with them. If there are noise complaints from neighbours or visits from police this could result in you no longer holding the tenancy.
        Jesus!

- There is to be no illegal substances on the property, if there is any trace of this found it could result in you no longer holding the tenancy.

- All gardens and lawns are to be kept tidy.

- General clean and tidiness needs to be maintained. This means opening windows and curtains to allow air in the house, disposing of household waste on rubbish day.

- If you wish to change anything about the house eg: paint the walls, put up new curtains etc. You will need to consult the landlord first.

- If something breaks or becomes damaged, you will need to alert your landlord to arrange repairs.
        OK

- If you need to move out you are required to give 21 days written notice and leave the house clean and tidy.
        FFS! You have given them a periodic tenancy and restricted yourself to a FTT!

This separate agreement is only valid until Wednesday 31 July 2013, re-evaluation of the agreement will be organised closer to the date.
        Rejig my one with your name on it. Make it a fixed term tenancy until 31 July 2013. When that is done. Come back here and learn your business!

You are digging a hole for yourself

Colouring is mine.
        Last edited by Keys; 23-04-2013, 08:29 PM.

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Might just do that Keys

Sounds like it's best to give them the trial tenancy and re-evaluate in July

Comment

Gosh. Have you done credit checks on them? Got their photo's and photos of their drivers licences?

I forsee..............................

T R O U B L E

www.3888444.co.nz
            Facebook Page

Comment

Might just do that Keys

Sounds like it's best to give them the trial tenancy and re-evaluate in July
              Good idea. Do not indicate that it is a trial tenancy. Do not indicate that it may be extended. You can say that they would be welcome to apply for the tenancy when you re advertise it and that their behaviour will impact on your decision on who is successful.

If you do give it to them, you may not raise the rent.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Might just do that Keys

Sounds like it's best to give them the trial tenancy . . .
                Be very wary. In fact, I strongly suggest that you earnestly
                consider using a PM. Start here. I.e. stop digging, now, before
                you have an experience that scars/sours you for life. I don't
                mean to be harsh, but you are going about this the wrong way.

Originally posted by RTA
                7 Short fixed-term tenancies

(2A) The parties may not enter into a fixed-term tenancy of not more
                than 90 days for the purpose of using that tenancy as a trial-period for
                ascertaining the desirability of extending or renewing the tenancy.

Comment

What Keys is getting at (I suspect) is that stipulating too many items can
                  work against you . . . .
                  You can do property inspections as often as the RTA allows.
                  Originally posted by Keys View Post
                  Nope, you got me wrong there Perry. By all means, inspect every three months.
                  Just do not put that into the TA. Having it in there removes your right to do an
                  impromptu inspection if the neighbours are complaining about noise etc.
                  HHhmmmm - I thought I had you right, really. I.e. don't specify things
                  (inspections frequency in the TA) that can work against the LL.

Rejig my one with your name on it. Make it a fixed term tenancy until 31 July 2013.
                  When that is done. Come back here and learn your business!
                  To the point!

Comment

Not much point doing a credit check on the two of them as they're both under 18 so can't loan or hire purchase. I think I will just tell them I'm happy to sign them until 31 July 2013, and say that is mainly because they are under 18 and if both parties are happy with the way the tenancy is going we can progress into something longer. I think if I am happy with the tenancy in July they keep their payments going, keep the house tidy there is no need to advertise it for rent, I'll just sign them on for a longer tenancy.

I think regarding some of the points in my separate agreement that I am not going to use anymore such as the parties policy etc can just be agreed to verbally.

Anyway better get offline have to go and settle the deal now - wish me luck

Comment

and say that is mainly because they are under 18 and if both parties are happy with the way the tenancy is going we can progress into something longer.
                      Luck.

You will need it.

www.3888444.co.nz
                      Facebook Page

Comment

HHhmmmm - I thought I had you right, really. I.e. don't specify things
                        (inspections frequency in the TA) that can work against the LL.
                        Mmmmm, Been a tiring few days.

To explain (runs off to start thread)

There ya go Perry.
                        Last edited by Keys; 23-04-2013, 09:11 PM.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

No matter how much Mummy and/or Daddy think their child is an Angel, just don't REPEAT DON'T rent to an 18 year old.

Let them learn to be responsible in someone elses flat.
                          Patience is a virtue.

Comment

I was 19 when I went flatting with another 19 yr and a 20 yr old and it was our first flat. But it was a very large and expensive house in in a classy area of Wellington. The landlord lived next door so maybe that's why it didn't seem a big deal to him that we were young. He on the other hand was ancient or so he seemed. We were very grateful for the house and we looked after it and helped him out too. Maybe we were lucky...I must say I'd struggle to accept under 20 yrs...I have had a young couple of 22yrs and they were long termers.

cheers

donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Have you had any success against a guarantor? Some of those here have problems at the TT against tenants. Introducing an education system for Adjudicators for guarantors for some would be stressful I do offer pet owing applicants the opportunity to provide a further 4 weeks rent equivalent security for the tenancy by way of cash from a guarantor.
                              Well of course I do not get everything I ask for. As I explained to a top offical from DBH once. If I get shafted at tribunal I just load up other tenants with the cost. The implication that their laws and judgements were directly related to rent levels. I could not understand what he said at that point because he was having trouble breathing.
                              I have never dragged a guarantor in for an OE but have certainly collected post the end of a tenancy agreement oh yes and got some money from one as specified in a tribunal order. That was the case of the old folks living in a retirement village. I was almost looking forward to collecting off them. They knew that also so paid up like little kittens. I do like the pet bond. I had forgotten that the general prohibition of additional bonds and guarantees is now waved if it relates to a guarantor. Those silly law drafting eunics would not have thought of that.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
                                I was 19 when I went flatting with another 19 yr and a 20 yr old and it was our first flat.
                                One of my best tenants was 16 or something. Still wearing a gym frock attending the local girls school down the road.I had her mother as co tenant. She came back a few years later with a young child in tow. Too bad her partner took to her and committed the usual violent acts that some males with small brains and other bits seem to do against nice people.

Comment

Working...
                                X