Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I read that article with a smile.
    I thought the council was being quite good - they didn't come heavy.
    The guy knew he was onto a good thing while it lasted and doesn't seem upset which is realistic.
    Where will the people go now though?

It goes back to the issue where the accomodation may be sub-standard but no one is forcing them to live there.
    All parties go into it with their eyes open and understand what they get.
    I don't like it when a LL treats the tenant poorly - charges for quality and gives crap.

People having to live in sub-standard accomodation is not a LL issue - it is a country social issue and should be addressed as such.
    As has been said here - the Govt shouldn't push the cost of social housing onto the private LL.

Comment

• It's like the wild west down there, glad to be out of it. I know of young guys that lived in houses that were poked, to be polite but the owner had stayed on to protect his property and had "immigrant" flatmates living with him.
      Then there are the local landlords that have bought hundreds of houses and accommodate the Philipinos 2 to a room. They share a room thinking the rent will be cheaper but it remains the same.
      Some of the places we saw and repaired were horrible and had been like that pre earthquake. They had gotten worse because the owner was waiting on his handout/repairs to give him a refurbished home.
      My son owns his own place in Beach Haven and his back fence has a big hole in it and is falling over, it runs across 2 properties. He has had a devil of a time trying to get HNZ to come to the party for half a fence. Shame his german shepherd dog wasn't a threat to the HNZ tenants as he can get through the hole. Do they care? Nah!

Comment

• Originally posted by Meehole View Post
        ..... My son owns his own place in Beach Haven and his back fence has a big hole in it and is falling over, it runs across 2 properties. He has had a devil of a time trying to get HNZ to come to the party for half a fence. Shame his german shepherd dog wasn't a threat to the HNZ tenants as he can get through the hole. Do they care? Nah!
        Has he issued a fencing notice? There's a clear and fairly inexpensive dispute resolution process.

Comment

• Originally posted by artemis View Post
          Has he issued a fencing notice? There's a clear and fairly inexpensive dispute resolution process.
          That was what I was going to suggest to him. He has been in contact with them by phone but their emails do not contain the name of a single person instead just a department. So not user friendly.
          They have asked him to collect 3 quotes and then told him that they won't necessarily use any of the contractors that supplied them. Why can't they get off their backsides and send out one of their contractors or doesn't HNZ do that anymore? If it wasn't for the dog going off the section and getting picked up incurring a fine he should let it fall over. It's an old iron fence with graffiti on it that they have tried to clean off.

Comment

• If it's an ongoing PITA, then he should just get the three quotes and attach them to a fencing notice in proper form, addressed to the CEO by name. Probably worth taking it in by hand and getting a receipt, or sending by registered post. And of course keep a copy.

I would include a covering letter with a list of all the people spoken to and over what period.

That should get things moving.

Comment

• After going through a similar thing with a HNZ tree which fell over and destroyed a shared fence, I would issue the fencing notice. Took about a year for them to replace it while I was being nice reasonable. If it ever happens again I'll use a fencing notice.

Comment

• Just wondering. Can you issue a Fencing Notice against the Crown? No.

Against a local authority? No.

So how about a State Owned Enterprise? - its Crown land.

Frankly I'd go ahead because there is an arguable jurisdiction and the local HNZ probably won't know the finer points of constitutional land law. But its not as simple as it looks.

Comment

• You can issue a Fencing Notice against the Crown, unless the neighbouring land is (broadly) a road, a national park, railway land (except residential railway land), or a reserve.
                  Otherwise, the Fencing Act says the Act binds the Crown. And the fact that it feels the need to exclude residential railway land, makes it pretty clear to me it's meant to include Crown land used for residential purposes at least. I'd argue that therefore extended to commercial use as well, though it's only the residential use that's required for HNZ.
                  s20 also talks about an exception over how costs are shared for a special class of Crown land. The section wouldn't be needed if Crown land wasn't covered by the Act.
                  Last edited by Sante; 05-02-2015, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• so if education isn't working

and we need a rental WOF

do we also need a parental WOF?

as education obviously isn't working

He said: "Quite simply, the number of pregnant women who are obese at the start is increasing."

It is thought that 82 per cent of children who are obese will continue to be overweight.

As they have the same kind of nutrition as their parents there is a continuous upwards spiral.

"Successive governments have not really addressed the obesity problem. It starts at conception and sometimes even before then."

Hundreds of babies are being born clinically obese in the UK every year - including some weighing more than a stone.
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

• What's your point Eri? The lack of personal responsibility in NZ is IMHO directly attributable to Helen Clark destroying our independence and making everything the governments problem. It is left wing drivel.

Comment

• Agreed. But what's the "methadone-like" solution
                        for those high on the drug of state intervention in
                        almost every aspect of their lives?

Comment

• Let things take their course is the only way to have a free market. Obviously we need rules and laws etc. to stop people stuck on stoopid but we now have, for example, Auckland council telling the government to fix affordability for housing when council are in part the cause. We have completely lost our minds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Damap View Post
                            We have completely lost our minds.
                            "We" have not! They have.

Comment

• The royal "We" I meant.

Comment

• the point is

if you can't successfully legislate against stupidity or self-abuse

how can you expect

to make others responsible

for those that won't accept responsibility?

Last edited by eri; 02-03-2015, 09:01 PM.
                                have you defeated them?
                                your demons

Comment

Working...
                                X