Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warrant of Fitness for rentals (including details)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
    If it is ever introduced, a meth testing requirement would cause some issues.
    This push is going to cause some nervousness I reckon.

House WOFs could include P-lab testing

Comment

• I haven't read through all 23 pages but, would people still have objections of it was a grade based system that needed to be advertised when renting out, rather than a pass/fail woof system? so more similar to a food grade rather than a wof.

This would allow the market to encourage landlords to increase their grade to attract a higher calibre of renters, while those that don't wish to upgrade their property don't have to but it would be made clear with a letter grade.

Comment

• Originally posted by hilly View Post
        I haven't read through all 23 pages but, would people still have objections of it was a grade based system that needed to be advertised when renting out, rather than a pass/fail woof system? so more similar to a food grade rather than a wof.
        For me it would depend on the cost.
        I really don't need more cost to prove that my 1-10 year old houses cut the mustard - I know they do and my tenants know they do.

Comment

• I'm starting to see why Dunedinites, in particular, want them:

The mouldy carpet pics are a treat....
          My blog. From personal experience.
          http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by sidinz View Post
            I'm starting to see why Dunedinites, in particular, want them:

The mouldy carpet pics are a treat....
            That's a shocker. Love the cardboard pelmet.
            It's beyond my comprehension as to how the landlord can rip people off like this and put their health at risk. ***hole

Comment

• Originally posted by gavinc View Post
              It's beyond my comprehension as to how the landlord can rip people off like this and put their health at risk . . .
              . . . without the tenants filing a 10 day notice under existing RTA legislation.

Comment

• So why do people rent these places in the first place? And why don't they just move out if they find problems?
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                  So why do people rent these places in the first place? And why don't they just move out if they find problems?
                  They don't just move out because they are worried about losing the bond.
                  Why do they rent them in the first place - good question - a place like this the problems would have been obvious before they moved in.

Comment

• We have friends in exactly the same situation but this one has its roots in an addiction problem dating back a few years. The addiction has ended and the person has now been sober for a couple of years but the debt, poor credit history and past deceptions linger. They ended up moving into the only house where the LL didn't care about their history but she also doesn't care about the slum conditions her properties are in. When it comes to a choice of roof over your family's head or sleeping in cars, night shelters and door ways you aren't as choosy.

They have pointed out the problems to the LL, the broken guttering, the swamp under the house, the window replaced by cardboard and of course all the thick black mould but nothing gets fixed.

They do not dare to rock the boat or give a 14 day notice because they know that there are a dozen more families just like theirs ready to move in as soon as they could. Too scared that the LL would issue a 90 day notice rather than fix anything.
                    Last edited by Perry; 19-01-2014, 01:40 PM. Reason: fixed typo

Comment

• Well once the WOF bureaucratic nightmare comes in - the LL will fix everything up - put up the rent to cover the cost then kick out the dodgy tenants.
                      Cause who wants rat bags in your nicely renovated place?

Better book their sleeping spot under the local bridge soon as bro!
                      Oh wait - the capital gains tax is going to provide nice new state houses for all - yeah right.
                      The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

• What's the bet this landlord has deliberately loaded the property with as much debt as possible, in order to maximise their taxpayer funded subsidy ?

Comment

What's the bet this landlord has deliberately loaded the property with as much debt as possible, in order to maximise their taxpayer funded subsidy ?
                          What subsidy is that?

Comment

• The one associated with mortgage interest costs gavinc.

Comment

The one associated with mortgage interest costs gavinc.
                              The flats I own are my business, I cannot offset the income against other income. Do you still consider that the interest deduction is a taxpayer subsidy?

Comment

• By definition; yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X