Rules are for the guidance of the wise
    and the obeisance of fools.

Yes, I have bent my own 'rules,' and for diverse
    reasons like:

Financial
    Tolerance
    My own laxness
    Consideration

Yes, I have regretted those actions, at times.
    Yes, I've learned something from them. No, I can't
    guarantee that I wont get caught again. (I'll be
    harder to catch out, I hope.)

Essentially, there seems to be a place for both the
    implacable and concessionary approach. And every
    part of the scale, in between. Especially as there's
    unlikely to be a same-situation everywhere, given
    the diversity of tenants, dwellings, PMs and owners.

Firm but fair
    seems a good maxim, too.

Return to the beginning . . . .

Comment

I would just like to say how invaluable the Tenancy Tribunal Orders online are. I've had a number of prospective tenants coming out of the woodwork that have claimed they haven't had any TT orders against them. MY, MY, MY as soon as their names have been plugged into the system they pop up with lights flashing around them. All these tenants have had TT's with Housing New Zealand.

May i ask a stupid question what happens with these guys going forward looking for rentals they must know they are not going to get another one unless there is some unsuspecting landlord that doesn't do their checks and lets them into one of their properties.

Keep doing those checks guys its free!!!!!

Sharon

Comment

Originally posted by Traff View Post
        May i ask a stupid question what happens with these guys going forward looking for rentals they must know they are not going to get another one unless there is some unsuspecting landlord that doesn't do their checks and lets them into one of their properties.
        Sharon, that's EXACTLY what happens.

There are LL's out there who only have one rental and struggle along, making mistakes and making it easier for "professional" tenants to rip them off. Those LL's are the ones that complain loudly that owning houses just isn't worth it.
        Patience is a virtue.

Comment

Classic case of a bad application

Isn't this interesting?

Pity the LL wasn't aware of their rights.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

How long does it take for the orders to be put online?

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
              Isn't this interesting?

Pity the LL wasn't aware of their rights.
              Enlighten me/us, please.

My perspective, based on very limited experience,
              is that the TT Adjudicators seem to largely make
              stuff up as they go along. By that, I mean that
              orders are given for which there were no applications.
              I.e. Orders based on the Adjudicator's presumptions.
              Happened to me (as Trustee) and prompted a very
              expensive Re Hearing and subsequent rehashing of
              the original Hearing.

The corollary to that is knowing one's rights doesn't
              predicate receiving them from the TT, whether asked
              for, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                Enlighten me/us, please.
                The Tribunal hereby orders:
                1. ..........
                2. ..........
                3. ..........
                4. ..........
                5. ..........
                6. The application to terminate the tenancy for the tenants causing substantial damage is dismissed.
                Reasons: The tribunal is satisfied that:
                1. Rent was at least 21 days in arrears at the date on which the application was filed.
                2. ..........
                3. ..........
                4. ..........
                It springs to mind that the LL applied for termination under the wrong Section. Damage.

Should have applied for termination under Section 55 - rent arrears.

www.3888444.co.nz
                Facebook Page

Comment

TT Adjudications appearing on the website

I've recently been to Tribunal for two hearings on the same day.

One has shown up on the TT website, the other hasn't.

So this morning I rang the TT Main Office (Principal?) in Rotorua and spoke to a very helpful person.

I asked why one TT was on line and one wasn't.

He said that it currently takes 10 working days to process the TT's. I queried whether this was a policy of the TT, to wait that long. He stated that originally when TT's were to be published on line, it was decided that if someone was going to Appeal the Hearing that they had approx that period of time to do so.

However, the facts are that people who Appeal generally don't do so within the 10 days period and some can be several months before they do so.

This means there is no reason to "hold" processing for 10 days.

Apparently a review of the processing is being held later this year. It may mean that Adjudications could be on line with 48 hours of the Hearing.

Wouldn't that make life interesting for some of the tenants.
                  Patience is a virtue.

Comment

essence, did they say if the public can make submissions to the review?

Comment

I didn't get the impression it was a public review. More of a systems review and "How can we do this better?"

If we (LL's/PM's in general) began a email campaign, I wonder if that would have any effect???
                      Patience is a virtue.

Comment

From the cryptic comments I am told by the staff who do it the computer program that is used is constantly being fine tuned.
                        The person who enters the data in my city is the court assistant.
                        She does lots more work than just sitting in on TT cases.
                        She says that the work gets a bit of a back log from time to time.
                        This is probably more the reason for the inconsistancy of timing.
                        One thing I would like to see happen is it would be wonderful for all TT cases that go through the court to be on the web. You are still permitted to ask for and be given any case that is stamped by the court. This includes of course the sealed mediated cases.
                        So really there is no reason to say those particular cases that are the result of a mediation are confidential.

Comment

I still find it frustrating that the search isn't more flexible. I'd like to search on last name only or by area.
                          You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Originally posted by drelly View Post
                            I still find it frustrating that the search isn't more flexible. I'd like to search on last name only or by area.
                            Last name only would be good. You can search streets. eg. Wilson Street, Auckland but cannot search a whole suburb or city/town.

Comment

I found a prospective tenant by using his first name and the first letter of his surname. When I did the search the other way around it didn't work because his surname was spelled incorrectly.
                              Doug

Comment

why can't we search using first/surnames only, and town, if you don't know exactly the street name (and tenants are unlikely to list all addresses they lived at).....any tips how to find them using just town/suburb/first and last name?

Comment

Working...
                                X