Healthy Homes Guarantee Act standards announced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by artemis View Post
    IMO - overcrowding is a key cause of dampness and cross infection, not to mention wear and tear.
    Is it likely that Dhil Twitford, Taxcindarella et al will see it that way? Every rental woe is the fault of the LL, as they see it.

I do need to keep saying it, in case any of the brain-dead media are watching and maybe even listening . . . .

Each year the government will carry out up to 2000 inspections to check that properties are up to standard.
    I wonder if that means spot checking rentals for tenant compliance with the temperature standard?

Steve Watson (Tenancy Services LL Compliance Team manager) will be rubbing his hands together with glee at the prospect of more, staff, a bigger dept., a promotion, a raise, etc.

Then, if Steve and his fellow Gestapo folks find that the heaters have not been turned on because tenants can't afford the electricity SOE dividends paid to the gummint, will the tenants be hauled before the TT for non-compliance with the temperature standard of 18 degrees Celsius?

Has any PT forumite seen the slightest reference to tenant compliance with the standards?
    (From Dhil Twitford, Taxcindarella et al?)
    Last edited by Perry; 05-03-2019, 10:27 PM.

Comment

One easy way to detect dampness, insufficient ventilation and overcrowding is presence of mould. If the (proposed) standards are met and there are ingoing dated photos showing no mould, the landlord can and should issue notice to fix each and every time mould is seen and documented. If the mould is not fixed (cleaned) the landlord can arrange for this to be done at the tenant's expense.
      I applaud your stand.
      I assume the TT supports your position and you have a successful track record.

Comment

Has anyone see the fine print of the guarantee? You know the government healthy homes guarantee.

If landlords spend all this money and the properties don’t become warm and dry can I claim on the government guarantee?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
          I applaud your stand.
          I assume the TT supports your position and you have a successful track record.
          No need for the landlord to go to the Tenancy Tribunal to terminate a tenancy, at least under current rules.

If there is mould, not cleaned as requested, and the property meets the HH standards, there is a prima facie case to charge the tenant. The TT? Who knows. Depends if the day of the week ends in a 'y'.

My particular point is that the presence of mould can indicate overcrowding (and as Mr Lewis has pointed out life incompetent tenants). Landlords need to be on top of that. A rapidly increasing social housing register is a sign that more and more households are bunking together.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
            How does a ground moisture barrier work if water pools on it?
            we have a house that was damp underneath...It must have been due to the water table as there was no other logical reason.
            we got the black plastic put down and it has solved the dampness---All the moisture is below---there is no reason for water finding its way on top unless you have a leak from the house itself ,at least in the case of houses that have some form of protection on the sides-----Im not against the moisture barriers(we put one down on that house)---what Im against is the requirement on a place where it is not needed (like our other bungalows that are bone dry under)---there should be some form of inspection that eliminates the need if its not required.

Its a bit ridiculous that a bent tenant could demand all rent returned for an illegal rental that is illegal only because something that was not necessary was not done

Comment

re Have a fixed heater that can heat the main living area to 18 degrees Celsius.

I informed tenant that we will replace the portable heater with a fixed heater to comply the new standard, he was unhappy. Previously he can move the portable heater to any room but now he has to buy second heater for another room.
              Last edited by hacona; 06-03-2019, 01:50 PM.

Comment

Which number is that in the list of unintended consequences?

Comment

I have not long been handed back my property from a complete leaky home re-clad. Spent the next few months renovating from top ceiling painting to bottom floor carpeting. Rebuilt two bathrooms in the process.
                  Now the requirements are ...
                  "a fixed heater in the living area to heat to 18deg on the coldest day". The whole house is double glazed, that should not be a problem. A wall panel heater and I take back the other heaters I have in the building.... easy solution.
                  "a rangehood in the kitchen" which is all part of the open kitchen, dining and lounge area.. already have one but it is a recirculating one, not vented to the outside. There is no mention that is has to be vented to outside. So far, maybe covered.
                  "extraction fan in the bathroom" ... well here starts the problem. The bathroom is on the 3rd floor with a legal opening window. To install a fan in the bathroom is not hard ... BUT ... to have it vented to outside air means I have to have an installer break the exterior cladding, remove the insulation and tear through the building paper.
                  Ok, the loss of the insulation is not a killer.
                  The creation of a cowl/vent cover and ensure it is sealed , that gets dodgy, especially after what I have just been through with the leaky homes issue.
                  As the need is on the 3rd floor, on a slightly sloping ground level, a scissor platform is not the best access, a ladder is not practical. That leaves scaffolding. $$$$$$$!
                  Breaking the integrity of the building paper? Not happy, as that can not be flashed as can the exterior cladding.

Plus, on top of this, is the warranty by the construction company for the exterior cladding and waterproofedness (sp?). If the works are not done by them, and there is an issue down the track of time, the warranty is null and void if there is an issue caused by the venting works.

All in all, if I want to install a fan in the bathroom, legally vented, and have a rangehood that is vented to outside, I am looking in the vicinity of $3.5k.
                  And I am not expected to increase the rent ????? Hang on, let me go harvest my money tree....................

Is it my responsibility to educate my tenants to open windows, turn on heaters and switch on vented fans in the bathroom and kitchen???
                  Last edited by Spoook; 06-03-2019, 04:43 PM.

Comment

^

similar situation

took the window pane out and to a glass company so an extraction fan hole could be cut in it

fortunately it wasn't toughened glass so a hole could be cut in it

unfortunately new regs means that the glass must be toughened in a bathroom, so a new pane needed to be ordered of a special glass that could be hole cut THEN toughened

through fan from bunnings then installed
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

If there is mould, not cleaned as requested, and the property meets the HH standards, there is a prima facie case to charge the tenant. The TT? Who knows. Depends if the day of the week ends in a 'y'.
                      And if the tenant takes you to the TT, will the TT agree with your position?
                      You suggest this hasn't happened yet.
                      I guess that will be the test.

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                        unfortunately new regs means that the glass must be toughened in a bathroom, so a new pane needed to be ordered of a special glass that could be hole cut THEN toughened

Eri - how much will this cost all up? - fan + glass work + electrician = $500?

Comment

glass was $70, put it in the frame myself

fan was $250ish from bunnings, put it in the window myself

Providing the trade and consumers with quality, innovative products for home and commercial air extraction and ventilation, and clever lighting and sensor lighting products.

power lead goes to washing machine wall socket, probably saved? $200 over an electrician hard-wiring it into the lighting cct
                          Last edited by eri; 07-03-2019, 10:56 AM.
                          have you defeated them?
                          your demons

Comment

It is possible that a shower dome may be acceptable instead of a bathroom fan. Should be, anyway.

Comment

^

i tried a showerdome type thing over our combo bath/shower for 2 years but perhaps because we only have a shower curtain

it couldn't contain the water vapour from my teen daughter's looooooong HOT showers

the new window fan however shifts some serious air volume and seems to have cured the mold problem we were having
                              have you defeated them?
                              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                                ^

similar situation

took the window pane out and to a glass company so an extraction fan hole could be cut in it

fortunately it wasn't toughened glass so a hole could be cut in it

But those new regs surely don't apply to existing bathrooms? Otherwise how many houses around the country would be in breach?
                                My blog. From personal experience.
                                http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X