How many landlords own multiple properties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BDub View Post
    My villain is the slumlord that gives landlords a bad name, renting a house out that floods when it rains to a family with a newborn? But there is only 25 of them out there so don’t worry about having a living standard for rentals?

I’m not disputing that there are shit tenants out there. All I’m saying is the houses that get offered to tenants need to be liveable and healthy.
    Nobody is disputing that. What is being disputed is that it takes insulation and a heatpump to make a house 'liveable and healthy.'

You also seem to be missing the point that current regulations already cover the things you're talking about. The particular case you've referred to is being dealt with under current regulations. There will always be a percentage of people (in any given group of people) who ignore the rules. But the rules are already there and those who transgress can already be punished. The problem is that the tenants don't report them. Ask yourself why, and if upgrading rentals (and consequently the rents) will help that or exacerbate it.
    My blog. From personal experience.
    http://statehousinginnz.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sidinz View Post
      But the ones you're talking about are flouting the rules we currently have. (And often getting away with it.)
      You really think that upping the required standard will fix that? If you do, I have some beachfront property I'd like to sell you.....

The answer is to beef up punishments for LL who don't bother meeting current standards, not lift the standards. That's like tackling people who don't register their cars by increasing the registration fee.
      It’s insulation to create warmer homes for people, not adding an ensuite in every bedroom.

Your right, these new standards won’t get rid of every slumlord, it’s going to weed afew of them out tho.

Comment

Nobody is disputing that. What is being disputed is that it takes insulation and a heatpump to make a house 'liveable and healthy.'

You also seem to be missing the point that current regulations already cover the things you're talking about. The particular case you've referred to is being dealt with under current regulations. There will always be a percentage of people (in any given group of people) who ignore the rules. But the rules are already there and those who transgress can already be punished. The problem is that the tenants don't report them. Ask yourself why, and if upgrading rentals (and consequently the rents) will help that or exacerbate it.
        Yep, it’s the tenants fault for not reporting it... not the property owner at all for putting the house to the public knowing the faults, wow haha

Who would of thought insulating a house would cause so much drama to some landlords.

Comment

Nobody is holding them in the house but many situations where family’s feel forced to stay in an unhealthy home due to not having other options to move to. There was an article on stuff yesterday that had a good scenario.
          in this country people always have options. I’m sure there is a WINZ grant to help them move if they need it.

Interesting that many can’t move house due to the fact they can’t afford to but they don’t think twice about having child number 2, 3, 4 or 8.

Comment

And what about the landlords who have not made capital gains, as they invest in small places (regional residents need rentals, too) where values don't rise?
            You can’t don’t make a capital gain until you sell. Paper gains are only paper gains.

one time I was in Vegas, playing poker was my gain was $200k, left Vegas at the end of the week down $25k. Did I have a gain because by end of day 3 I was ahead or do you review your position when you finish the activity?

Comment

If your able bodied I’d suggest buying the insulation and doing it yourself.

If not, sadly I’d suggest better money management/investing or another hobby if you can’t afford the price of insulating a rental property.
              why should i have better money management or new hobbies

so someone else can continue with their poor money management + poor lifestyle choices?

old labour was about protecting the worker from a parasitic class

new labour is about protecting a parasitic class from the worker

there's no future in that

"My kids buy me groceries sometimes and my daughter gives me a little bit of food and money."

am i supposed to be shocked by the above

am i supposed to spend less on my children because someone else is sick of supporting their parents?

nz isn't the wealthiest country in the world

how could we afford to fund the world's richest beneficiaires?

how short-sighted would it be to "grow" this section of the economy at the expense of productive sections?
              Last edited by eri; 09-10-2018, 09:15 AM.
              have you defeated them?
              your demons

Comment

Originally posted by eri View Post
                why should i have better money management or new hobbies

so someone else can continue with their poor money management + poor lifestyle choices?

old labour was about protecting the worker from a parasitic class

new labour is about protecting a parasitic class from the worker

there's no future in that
                Did you own property from the get go? You didn’t have to rent/save?

If you can’t bring your property up to the “living standard” you shouldn’t be in the game. They are not bringing this in to make it harder for LL’s or trying to gain money from it. It’s coming in to make houses in NZ warmer and healthier. Why are LL’s feeling like they have just been made to complete full renovations on there properties? It’s a weekend job if you are able bodied.

Comment

[/SIZE]"My kids buy me groceries sometimes and my daughter gives me a little bit of food and money."

am i supposed to be shocked by the above

am i supposed to spend less on my children because someone else is sick of supporting their parents?

how short-sighted would it be to "grow" this section of the economy at the expense of productive sections?
                  Ive never mentioned beneficiaries? How did this come up?

Comment

it's impossible to reduce poverty

if you define poverty as a lower percentile of the population

likewise your "living standard" is a continually moving goal post

just because you never mentioned beneficiaries

and their inability to be thankful for living in a world leading beneficiary state

doesn't mean others can't

my apartments either were insulated when they were built

or can't be insulated because of the way they were built

but that doesn't stop broad-stroke legislation

negatively affecting me

(like raising fuel taxes for roading affects boaties and others who don't use the fuel they buy for driving on roads)
                    Last edited by eri; 09-10-2018, 01:55 PM.
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

Did you own property from the get go? You didn’t have to rent/save?

If you can’t bring your property up to the “living standard” you shouldn’t be in the game. They are not bringing this in to make it harder for LL’s or trying to gain money from it. It’s coming in to make houses in NZ warmer and healthier. Why are LL’s feeling like they have just been made to complete full renovations on there properties? It’s a weekend job if you are able bodied.
                      Weekend job? Depends what the new standards are - heating, insulation, ventilation, draughts. And the impact of proposed rent controls, additional tenant rights such as no 'no cause' terminations, tax changes.

Some landlords are selling up or getting rid of dodgy tenants while they still can.

Who is aware that the number on the social housing register (approved for social housing, waiting for a vacancy) has doubled in the last 2 years? And 19% of those for the primary reason that they were evicted or their rental was sold and another 20% homeless?

Wonder why.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        He who has the gold does not always make the rule - many industries are regulated to one degree or another. You can choose not to participate but don't get to make all the rules.
                        Too true, but the owner has the ultimate control - sell or keep. That is my point.

Comment

Suckered

It’s insulation to create warmer homes for people . . .
                          Who would of thought insulating a house would cause so much drama . . .
                          It’s coming in to make houses in NZ warmer and healthier.
                          Those remarks confirm your mis-perception. I.e. You've been suckered by the sophistries of Dhil Twitford et al, like most of the rest of the country. The act of insulating a house does not make it warmer or healthier.

Repeat after me: adding insulation to a cold house results in a cold, insulated house. See here.

Comment

it's impossible to reduce poverty

if you define poverty as a lower percentile of the population

likewise your "living standard" is a continually moving goal post

just because you never mentioned beneficiaries

and their inability to be thankful for living in a world leading beneficiary state

doesn't mean others can't

my apartments either were insulated when they were built

or can't be insulated because of the way they were built

but that doesn't stop broad-stroke legislation

negatively affecting me

(like raising fuel taxes for roading affects boaties and others who don't use the fuel they buy for driving on roads)
                            Sorry, was just confused when you quoted me and then started your beneficiary rant, just couldn’t see how it was relevant to what I mentioned, Carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                              Those remarks confirm your mis-perception. I.e. You've been suckered by the sophistries of Dhil Twitford et al, like most of the rest of the country. The act of insulating a house does not make it warmer or healthier.

Repeat after me: adding insulation to a cold house results in a cold, insulated house. See here.
                              I under stand how insulation works, it reduces heat loss.

Example one, house with no insulation with heat pump running for 60 minutes

Example two, house with insulation with heat pump running for 60 minutes

Tell me which one is the warmer house.

Nobody is saying that insulation heats the house, it reduces the heat loss which makes it easier to heat which makes it a warmer house.

Comment

Sorry, was just confused when you quoted me and then started your beneficiary rant
                                beneficiary rant?

this bit?

that's not a rant

those are serious questions

people like david parker are asking
                                have you defeated them?
                                your demons

Comment

Working...
                                X