Financial Armageddon!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Leftette View Post
    What was it like working alongside Arnie in the original Predator?
    I prefer Conan the Destroyer myself, or Conan the Barbarian, you cant beat a classic.
    Dont underestimate what home stays and LOTR's are both doing for NZ.

We havent seen a massive upswing in Chinese Immigration yet either.
    That is running around the 5 to 6k per year.
    Tiddliwinks at the moment, how will everyone feel and how will NZ turn when that jumps to 50k per year

How about 100k.

You cant control what happens in the big wide world, but you need to control the one thing you can, and that is you and your actions.

Put your head in the sand, or take action, its up to you.

Me thinks you are just grumpy since The Liberal Left is imploding TLL.

Shane Jones has seen the light, you can too

Comment

• Oh, I've always been for mass immigration, BK. Keep 'em rolling in, I say. Plenty of room here in NZ. Britain is still a green and pleasant land, approx. the same size as NZ and there's 62 million of them.

TLL is overseas, but is returning soon - yay!

Shane Jones was always better suited to National. He's just now thrown his toys from the cot saying he couldn't work with the Greens. What a cry-baby.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leftette View Post
        Oh, I've always been for mass immigration, BK. Keep 'em rolling in, I say. Plenty of room here in NZ. Britain is still a green and pleasant land, approx. the same size as NZ and there's 62 million of them.

oy! slaps forehead.
        How come none of the people from London who I speak to agree with you? Especially the ones who are settling here.
        Maybe you should move to England since you like the idea so much. ?

Comment

• Such is London's wealth that Property consultant Savills calculates 10 London boroughs now have an aggregate property value equivalent to the total value of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland combined.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/worl...le-sets-record

looks dangerously like

During the height of the 1980s Japanese property bubble, the palace grounds were valued by some as more than the value of all the real estatein the state of California.[1]
          [2]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Imperial_Palace

but since then

japanese land prices have been static or falling

for 30 years!

Last edited by eri; 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM.
          have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

• Buoyed by the wealth of Russian oligarchs, Chinese tycoons and Arab sheikhs, London has become one of the most expensive markets on earth, raising concerns ahead of parliamentary elections in 2015 that locals are being squeezed out of the market.
            Look it's a place for crims to launder their money. It's not a normal market as such. These people don't care what price they pay, they just want their money safe.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Look it's a place for crims to launder their money. It's not a normal market as such. These people don't care what price they pay, they just want their money safe.

So on that basis, how long will Auckland be flavour of the month, or has china just taken a tid bit and is developing a taste.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluekiwi View Post
                So on that basis, how long will Auckland be flavour of the month, or has china just taken a tid bit and is developing a taste.
                Well that's the $64 million dollar question isn't it.

How long will the China boom go on? Is it a bubble or not?

No one knows for sure mate.

In Canada, they've just shut their doors to wealthy immigrants, not sure why. But anyway, those people are now applying here...

I'd say it has a way to run, but it's just a guess.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• When The Real Cost is Hidden, Making Good Decisions Is Impossible

When The Real Cost is Hidden, Making Good Decisions Is Impossible (May 13, 2014)

When good decisions are no longer possible, bad decisions are inevitable.
                  If we had to summarize the response of the Federal government and the Federal Reserve to the structural financial crisis of 2008-2009, we could say that both institutions went all-in to obscure the real price of credit and capital.

The real cost of credit and capital is discovered by open, transparent markets.
                  When a central bank sets the price of credit, it destroys the market's price-discovery process.
                  When the government subsidizes certain types of credit, for example, home mortgages and "cash for clunkers" auto loans, it destroys the market's price-discovery process.

This distorts not just the price of credit, but the price of everything purchased with credit.

This is the origin of bubbles, and of the resulting busts.

Comment

• lol.

On the radio this week, I heard a curios Government use of language.

The word "re-phasing".

So this is the con:

You have some set tasks (say 10 tasks).
                    You have a time period (say 10 days).
                    You have a budget (say 10 dollars).

If you get the ten things done in the ten days at a cost of 10 dollars, you have succeeded.

If you DON"T get the ten things done in the ten days at a cost of 10 dollars, you have failed.

Simple right?

Or... you could only finish 6 things in the 10 days, at the cost of 9 dollars and claim success by "re-phasing".

What happens to the incomplete tasks?
                    They are pushed forward to another future time.
                    Grief!
                    So what happens in the net 10 day "phase?
                    ...yes.. not rocket science...
                    you have 14 things to do in 10 days with only 10 dollars.

A perfectly useful word like "phasing" has been stolen by the GOVT to hide their failure.
                    We already have words to describe that situation. "Fail to meet target" Did not perform"..and so on.
                    Last edited by McDuck; 23-05-2014, 02:36 PM. Reason: sp.

Comment

• It's what we do ...."generational pass the parcel"
                      Looks like us Baby Boomers might get away with it too, pass it on to X & Y.

Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                        It's what we do ...."generational pass the parcel".
                        Well, in this case it's a bit more urgent.
                        The Govt is asking to be re elected.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but in business, it's all about achieving time and budget based targets.

In business, You really wouldn't be able to get away with re-naming a failed target as "re-phasing"
                        No Bonus, no promotion. Black mark.

Since Mr Key seems big on using business objectives as a way to organise society, then it's only fair that we judge him using the same criteria.
                        Last edited by McDuck; 23-05-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

• So, specifically on this radio report, what were these missed targets ?

Comment

• Ahem, discussion on money and its various forms is to be found here.
                            There, recent posts on that topic in this thread will also be found.

Y'all go there to talk about such things, OK?

Ze Moderator haz speak!

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                              Ahem, discussion on money and its various forms is to be found here.
                              There, recent posts on that topic in this thread will also be found.

Y'all go there to talk about such things, OK?

Ze Moderator haz speak!
                              Perry, the topic we are discussing is " alleged misleading reporting of financials".
                              The primary point being the possible misuse of the word " RE-PHASING" by the GOVT regarding the budget, to disguise activities not completed within timeframe.

Eg:

LANDLORD: Hey clean up that junk around the place.
                              TENNANT: I was thinking of re -phasing that work to the next tenants occupancy.

Eg 2:

LANDLORD: Your rent didn't go in this week.
                              TENNANT: I was thinking of re -phasing that payment to after when I vacate the place.

It's my contention that misreporting the financial position of companies is a major contributor to "FINANCIAL ARMAGEDDON!!"
                              Last edited by McDuck; 23-05-2014, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• To rephrase what I said:
                                Any debate on debt/money creation.

Comment

Working...
                                X