How to repair a hairline crack in kitchen tile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to repair a hairline crack in kitchen tile

had a small crack in the kitchen tile, it's just a hairline crack, is there any stuff I can use to fill the hair line gap instead of replacing it with a new tile? Will something like this do the job? Thanks a lot.

DunlopReady-to-go Coloured grout 800g Jet Black
    Last edited by donna; 23-06-2020, 01:01 PM. Reason: no selling links please - use CE forum for selling links

can you post a pic of the crack

Comment

Find a diesel mechanic. Get him to wipe his fingers on it

Comment

Originally posted by Chelsea View Post
        had a small crack in the kitchen tile, it's just a hairline crack, is there any stuff I can use to fill the hair line gap instead of replacing it with a new tile? Will something like this do the job? Thanks a lot.

DunlopReady-to-go Coloured grout 800g Jet Black
        No
        grout wont repair the crack but the right colour might disguise it?
        Last edited by donna; 23-06-2020, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Grout discolours over time so it will be noticeable. Though if it's a hairline crack and the two sides are flush and you want to keep it rather than replace it - seal it if it's exposed to water. Otherwise can you just leave it as it is.

Need to see a pic.
          SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
            can you post a pic of the crack

can you see the pic?

Comment

thanks, pic just uploaded. ta.

Comment

i can pretty much guarantee there is no adhesive under that corner of the tile you may be able to pick that bit out and glue it back in with a smaller gap, i would buy some colour match silicone and mask either side of the crack and silicone it, its never going to be invisible but could look better, if you have a spare tile have it replaced if you dont have a spare you probably wont get one

Comment

Apologies for making fun of your crack in advance.

Why not use the quantitative easing approach?
                  Simply smash lots of cracks in all the other tiles, that way the tile in question will look like the best one?

P.S. I'll tell you how to fix it properly in a few days.
                  Last edited by McDuck; 25-06-2020, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by McDuck View Post
                    Apologies for making fun of your crack in advance.

Why not use the quantitative easing approach?
                    Simply smash lots of cracks in all the other tiles, that way the tile in question will look like the best one?

P.S. I'll tell you how to fix it properly in a few days.

hahahaaaa~~~very funny~~

Comment

thanks.

Comment

Maybe the backing wasn't rigid enough for loads on that edge of the tile. I support the coloured silicon to disguise it, alternatively epoxy glue/filler if the gap is thing. Best is to replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Chelsea View Post
                          thanks.
                          Ok . As promised.

You might totally disrespect that floor tile.
                          But its a great opportunity to learn skills that will help you repair all sorts of things later on.

Two people have already figured out the main problem causing the crack, and given you good advice

Personally, i'm surprised the tile next to it hasn't gone also.

I suppose you've noticed that you also have a second crack line next to the first.

You really need to do several things.

1:The cracked fragment should be prized up with some sort of flat safe blade, a putty knife for example.
                          2: The edges of all three fragments should be cleaned with some sort of decreasing agent, dish washing liquid, and dried thoroughly
                          3: The floor under the tile should be filled with a bonding material harder or similar to the material used to glue the main tile in place.
                          4: There's probably a gap there, causing the tile to drop down at the edge, under your weight, and to fracture the tile in the first place.
                          5: You can then play jigsaw puzzle with the fragments , and move them into the correct height and position.
                          6: you may want to run a line of filler type superglue along the edges of the tiles, so they bond to each other.
                          7: or wait till the fragments have set in place and apply the glue down the crack after.
                          8: The main point is to stop the fragments from bending down at the edge, by giving then no place to bend to.

Ceramics are one of mankind's oldest technologies.
                          Thousands of years old.
                          Respect.
                          Clay becomes brittle under fire.
                          A crystal structure formed in the clay, is very resistant to compression, very weak to shear force.
                          You have a bending moment at the underside of the tile, kind of like your elbow joint.
                          The lever effect is causing a force multiplication as the ball of your foot compresses the edge of the tile near the carpet.

Your eye is seeing the black line against the white surface,
                          Your brain is satisfied with the disorder and associating it to disrepair and decay.
                          The dirt has fallen into the gap, making it easy for your eye to see the fracture.

Comment

Working...
                          X