house extension Wellington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• house extension Wellington

I'm flirting with the idea of extending my current rental house to increase value and rental.

Current house is simple rectangle shape house 3bed/1bathroom no separate toilet with 80m2 floor area.

I want to add a new master bedroom and an ensuite at the current kitchen/dining area and realter the kitchen and dining and living room to a new wing which will get more sun.

Any recommendation who should I talk to and how much/how long it will take to complete the work?

Don't have a recommendation but have you considered an extension which makes it into two separate units? Since you are looking at changing kitchen and plumbing anyway? 2 x 2 bedroom units would probably bring in more rent than a 4 beddie and you'd be looking at couples or small families rather than larger groups or families (less wear and tear).

Most of ours are 1/2 bedroom, but the one which is 4 bedroom always has groups which take a whole lot more managing and hassle.

Comment

I use Blue Pencil. Very good although flat out right now.

They will be able to advise you on the process, consents you will need, costs to get those consents and approx costs to get their drawings done etc. That won't be a fixed quote because they will need to react to what council sends back and perhaps adjust the drawings etc.

The other part of that equation is to work out what the build will cost, so you could sketch it up and ask a builder to quote you on the work. Then you should know what your total cost is, time to complete. Don't forget to add interest for vacant time to your costs. Confirm the end rental and approx value and can make an objective decision.

Expect to pay for the architect's time for a visit and expert analysis at the start, it's worth it. The builder may not charge for a little bit of time so you may want to check with them first. Your PM won't charge to give you an appraisal because you already work with them, if you self-manage try TM rentals.

Costs can greatly vary depending on what you move and where. If you're adding a bedroom it's a lot less complex and expensive than moving the kitchen to the new space and connecting up the plumbing.
      Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
        Don't have a recommendation but have you considered an extension which makes it into two separate units? Since you are looking at changing kitchen and plumbing anyway? 2 x 2 bedroom units would probably bring in more rent than a 4 beddie and you'd be looking at couples or small families rather than larger groups or families (less wear and tear).

Most of ours are 1/2 bedroom, but the one which is 4 bedroom always has groups which take a whole lot more managing and hassle.
        mmm you have a valid point here. I will see if it is possible to alter the house this way...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
          I use Blue Pencil. Very good although flat out right now.

They will be able to advise you on the process, consents you will need, costs to get those consents and approx costs to get their drawings done etc. That won't be a fixed quote because they will need to react to what council sends back and perhaps adjust the drawings etc.

The other part of that equation is to work out what the build will cost, so you could sketch it up and ask a builder to quote you on the work. Then you should know what your total cost is, time to complete. Don't forget to add interest for vacant time to your costs. Confirm the end rental and approx value and can make an objective decision.

Expect to pay for the architect's time for a visit and expert analysis at the start, it's worth it. The builder may not charge for a little bit of time so you may want to check with them first. Your PM won't charge to give you an appraisal because you already work with them, if you self-manage try TM rentals.

Costs can greatly vary depending on what you move and where. If you're adding a bedroom it's a lot less complex and expensive than moving the kitchen to the new space and connecting up the plumbing.
          thanks for your suggestion, Nick. Will try to contact them when i decided what I want to do with the property.

Comment

Working...
          X