Councils Holding the Country to Ransom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
    Wellington Mayor Justin Lester puts free weekend parking on chopping block to reduce council rates
    2 March 2018

Saving money by reducing costs always seems to drop off the list. Put another way: empire preservation always takes precedence and avoids cost cutting. Screwing ratepayers, one way or another, is always the first option, no matter how it's dressed up, spun, or disguised.
    They see us as little ATMs mate.

Most councils seem to be desperate for more funds. But they can never make do with what they have.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• It seems to be always that way, but could it be that ratepayers ask for too much?

Russell has commented along those lines, at times.

Too many politicians shy of saying, "no."

Or shy of saying "yes, but Rates will have to increase."

What was that you said: don't bother?

Comment

• Things I have learnt about Local Government..

1. Everyone has a pet interest or project: "Council should fund this .. Its only a few dollars on the rates and that's affordable.. I don't mind a few dollars for such a worthwhile project " Well they add up!

2. "We will fundraise and/or get subsidies for the new swimming pool/hall/event centre/ sports ground/stadium and it wont cost the ratepayers a cent"! Well the capital cost of most projects are insignificant compared to the ongoing operational costs!

3. Councillors who make the sort of comments about 1 and 2 that I have are usually not returned at election time.

4. Staff are usually much more idealistic and determined to push projects than Councillors.

5. Debt is often disguised as "Intergenerational Equity" or other gobblygook or diverted from the balance sheet via CCOs or PPPs etc.

6. The biggest expense in any Council is "overheads" and it is also the least able to be examined or understood.

7. Staff time (non regulatory) is not costed or accounted for and contributes to 6.

8. Consultants and lawyers are used to avoid liability rather than provide independent advice. Consultants who disagree with Staff don't get any more work.

9. Central Government passes all the tough stuff to Local Government and then hides behind them. (climate change/Natural hazards/Fluoride/freedom camping and on and on) They either force them (legislation) or lure them (subsidies).

10. Ratepayers in smaller councils all believe that the larger neighbouring council (with the higher debt) wants to amalgamate with them to pay it off.

I could go on but its late and that should be enough to keep you lot commenting for weeks!

Russell Orr

Comment

• Well said.
          Everybody wants 'free'.

Comment

• One of the problems Peter has mentioned before, and Russell hints at (4): Staff run the show and councillors are there to make it look like a democracy and that (through councillors) ratepayers have some choice or influence. It isn't. They don't.

My father did two terms as a city councillor.

Russell: thank you for the other perspective that you bring to us all.

Comment

• This is a really good post Russell.

It's sad in some respects. But I guess this is just how the world works, no use pretending otherwise.

I guess for those of us dealing with council, we just need to bear this stuff in mind.

Actually Russell, would you mind if I posted this on FaceBook, but without your name?
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Be my guest ... I will write a book one day ... I will call it "So help me God".

Comment

• Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
                  Be my guest ... I will write a book one day ... I will call it "So help me God".
                  Must feel like you're the only sane person in a sanitorium at times.
                  Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• An example for point 1: Ak CC pays for a group (not sure if still do) to go into schools with bikes and teach the kids to ride.

Theory session followed by practical session, helmets, bikes, etc supplied.

Personal view, this is the parents/family's job, not the councils.

Or the Travel wise programme. Great concept, but rate payer funded? Maybe if weetbix stopped giving out licenses or parents taught kids to use crossings (traffic lights or wardens) they would be a smidge safer.

Sorry, rant over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sportsvee View Post
                      An example for point 1: Ak CC pays for a group (not sure if still do) to go into schools with bikes and teach the kids to ride.

Theory session followed by practical session, helmets, bikes, etc supplied.

Personal view, this is the parents/family's job, not the councils.

Or the Travel wise programme. Great concept, but rate payer funded? Maybe if weetbix stopped giving out licenses or parents taught kids to use crossings (traffic lights or wardens) they would be a smidge safer.

Sorry, rant over.
                      They seem to want to insinuate themselves into every aspect of our lives. They seem to think they know how we should all live, and so then proceed to teach us. Sometimes by making us. For our own good...
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        They seem to want to insinuate themselves into every aspect of our lives. They seem to think they know how we should all live, and so then proceed to teach us. Sometimes by making us. For our own good...
                        Follow the money. All these initiatives cost someone, usually the taxpayer, ratepayer or both. But the initiators of projects and the people who carry them out all get paid. Even charities get paid, very often by those same taxpayers and ratepayers, one way or another.

And once embedded there is little or no incentive to cancel them, even if they don't work. The previous government made a start by cancelling some contracts and implementing the social investment approach. This government it looks like more stuff will be started than ever.

Comment

• Make-work, empire-building, dead-end pointless job-creation, department initiation, office extensions, fleet car expansion, concomitant Rates increase, etc.

All in a good cause, of course.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                            Make-work, empire-building, dead-end pointless job-creation, department initiation, office extensions, fleet car expansion, concomitant Rates increase, etc.

All in a good cause, of course.
                            Yeah man, it's keeping the unemployment figures down nicely!
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                              Unfortunately there are a lot of people in our communities who do need this sort of help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                                Unfortunately there are a lot of people in our communities who do need this sort of help.

What, like teaching their kids to ride a bike?
                                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                                X