Councils Holding the Country to Ransom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• But as Mr Hide has belatedly come to accept,

it's not just those two positions that are questionable.

It's the whole unelected nature of the Maori board that needs addressing.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11540747
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

• I'm sure the outcome of ACC's review of freehold Maori land will be balanced and take into account the general ratepayer and not just the
      use of the land in a manner that 'aligns with their spiritual and cultural values'.

Not holding my breath.

However, at least ACC is asking for submissions and has posted a discussion document at the link below.

Have your say on a proposal or at a meeting and help us to shape Auckland. Public notices, hearings, notified resource consents and the People's Panel.

Comment

• Poor old Maori people, have to be given jobs and have their rates refunded. Because of course they can't make it in the real world by themselves.... or at least this is the policy.
        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• The best one i have heard lately is from a land developer trying to get his 224 subdivision sign off. Its now down to a couple of items and one of them is his street trees which he planted about 6 months ago and presumably are well established before the heat of summer comes . They arent big enough (according to council rules on size of street trees being planted) and some of the stakes dont quite make 1m above ground so this box was not ticked. Developer sought approval for a varition to the consent/ council rules. Request declined. I ask you-- A few months growth and they will comply- Instead they are to be replaced with slightly bigger ones at the wrong time of year. My limited knowledge tells me that bigger trees often struggle more after planting than smaller ones

Comment

• Originally posted by motivated View Post
            I ask you-- A few months growth and they will comply.
            You were expecting common sense?
            From the ACC*? You silly, silly thing!

* Or any Council, for that matter.

Comment

• Originally posted by motivated View Post
              The best one i have heard lately is from a land developer trying to get his 224 subdivision sign off. Its now down to a couple of items and one of them is his street trees which he planted about 6 months ago and presumably are well established before the heat of summer comes . They arent big enough (according to council rules on size of street trees being planted) and some of the stakes dont quite make 1m above ground so this box was not ticked. Developer sought approval for a varition to the consent/ council rules. Request declined. I ask you-- A few months growth and they will comply- Instead they are to be replaced with slightly bigger ones at the wrong time of year. My limited knowledge tells me that bigger trees often struggle more after planting than smaller ones
              They just don't want to help. They don't care if new sections are created or not. Despite the fact that as soon as they are created, each one is a little money machine for council for eternity.

They also don't care about saving developers money and/or time (which amounts to the same thing). They see developers as rich people trying to get richer and so their role in life as a council official is partially to try and stop this. You know, even things out. But of course in doing this, they are making houses for the less affluent more costly.

Can you say what area of the country this is in?
              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• the left don't mind destroying the system

as long as they are doing it for the "right reasons"

the rest of us

just see destruction
                have you defeated them?
                your demons

Comment

• Its in PNth
                  Our new Mayor (of early this year due to by election) is furious about this sort of thing occurring. There has been some sign of pressure on management already to make improvements and there are already early indications that things will change for the better.

Comment

• can't see the forest

for the trees

The proposal to remove an Indian bead tree in the middle of the square, four large Phoenix palms outside the Metropolis Building and plant native pohutukawa trees and nikau palms drew a lot of feedback.

"The tree selection is completely inappropriate for an urban environment.

I personally love Nikau Palms, they're my favourite tree, but even I don't think they should be used in this application.

"Both the pohutukawa and the nikaus will create damp dark seating areas in winter.

And in summer, pohutukawa are not an ideal tree to sit under,

they shed foliage and dirt and attract bees," said one submitter.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11541207
                    have you defeated them?
                    your demons

Comment

• What strikes me in the whole 'Maori Representation' issue is that all adult maori people, along with the rest of us, are eligable to cast their local body vote at the regular elections. And of course many do.

Now in the parliamentry elections Maori are eligible to go on to the Maori roll and vote for a maori electorate candidates should they chose to do so. Of course, if they do that, they are not allowed to also vote for general electorate candidates. It is one or the other.

Yet in the local government arena, having voted on the general slate, they seem to want to have a second vote in some sort of Maori representation board.

So there seems to be the feeling that each of their people should be allowed to vote twice.

Seems unfair to me.
                      Last edited by flyernzl; 08-11-2015, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Council spending explained:

The $500,000 intersection

A 2012 background report prepared for council asserted that "99.5% of the year the intersection would not warrant signalisation". The only time traffic lights were needed was "mid-afternoon on a summer Sunday".

Last edited by Davo36; 16-11-2015, 12:56 PM.
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• This is how people take advantage of local councils:

Roof top villas:
                          House on house on house. Didn't think it was possible until we saw these! When you dream it, you can create it, they say. Guess these people seriously took i...

Hillarious!

Comment

• This is how people take advantage of local councils:
                            Yeah in Asia...
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• The post at the below link is by a resident who attended a Wellington City Council consultation meeting about the future of a particular suburb (Island Bay). He gives a good account of the often preconceived ideas of council planners and how local residents reacted.

At least the council is consulting, though the proof of the pudding ...

A great blog post by Michael Reddell who for his sins attended a consultation meeting by Wellington City Council. He writes: Question 1 on the WCC consultation form says “Where should medium-density housing development happen in your suburb?”, which on the one hand presumes that people agree that such development should happen at all, and

Comment

• Good discussion there.

Basically unless you have a town planning degree, your opinion in these matter will be ignored by town planning staff.

In fact, even if you have the town planning degree, but differ from the small city / public transport agenda, you'll still be ignored.
                                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                                X