Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capital Gains Tax? Keep related posts in this thread, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
    Like our fearless leader or not she is very savvy... announce on the day before a 4 day long weekend allowing one day of media heat before everyone goes on leave and it's forgotten by Tuesday.

Even if it's not forgotten on Tuesday the heat will be out of it and the pressure will be far less than announcing any given Wednesday afternoon.
    If it's all over by Tuesday then it can't have been important.
    I bet it isn't all over by Tuesday!

Comment

• The Government has rejected a capital gains tax.
      Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement today.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Like our fearless leader or not she is very savvy... announce on the day before a 4 day long weekend allowing one day of media heat before everyone goes on leave and it's forgotten by Tuesday.

Even if it's not forgotten on Tuesday the heat will be out of it and the pressure will be far less than announcing any given Wednesday afternoon.
        Do you still feel that this was cynical manipulation of the media or paranoia on your part?

Comment

• The Government has categorically rejected a capital gains tax.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern made the announcement this afternoon, saying there was no mandate - and no consensus - for a CGT.

Comment

• I was amused by the caption:
            A capital gains tax has been described as the greatest shake-up in the tax system since GST was introduced in 1986.
            What a farcical waste of resources, time and money this whole shemozzle has been.

I doubt that Comrade Commissar Cullen had even a momentary twinge of conscience as he banked taxpayers' money in his personal account, being his reward for heading up what was always nothing more than a fatuous charade.

Given the shaw and cretin comment from the Greens, I hope they now resign from the comic opera coalition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
              Nothing would suit Winnie better than to proclaim on the 2020 hustings that he had saved NZ from a CGT.
              We didn't have to wait that long, at all!

But Winston First will probably say so, on the hustings, nonetheless.

Comment

• Press Release from 'Stop the war on tenancies'

No CGT a relief for owners & tenants

Residential rental property owners and tenants will be relieved that pressure from hundreds of thousands of voters and taxpayers forced the ideologically-driven Prime Minister to drop the ideologically-driven CGT, Tenancies War spokesman Mike Butler said today.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern virtually told the media she wanted Michael Cullen's CGT but the myriad of opponents to the tax wouldn't let her have it, Mr Butler said.

The arguments used to promote the tax, that a CGT would help reduce inequality and that all New Zealanders would "pay their fair share,' presumed that those to be hit by such a tax were not paying their share, he said.

In fact, those who would be hit hardest are probably paying more than their share, he said.

The only people who appeared to support the proposed tax were those who thought they wouldn't be caught by it, Mr Butler said, as was shown by responses of 90 percent who told one poll that they objected to having to pay a CGT on their KiwiSaver investment.

However, a CGT is only one of many silly ideas from the current Government that those in the rental property sector won't have to deal with, he said.

We still have to deal with the costly rental property standards that appear to have little to do with the claimed hospitalisation of children: possible changes to tenancy law that make it impossible to effectively deal with disruptive tenants; and the ring-fencing of rental property losses that may cause thousands of rental property owners to leave the sector, Mr Butler said.

Stop the War on Tenancies is a group that - since last October - has been highlighting the evidence that successive governments have ignored, all the while creating problematic residential rental property policy.

Mike Butler 27-277 7295
                [email protected]
                Last edited by donna; 18-04-2019, 05:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  Do you still feel that this was cynical manipulation of the media or paranoia on your part?

You would only come to the conclusion of paranoia if you subscribe to the theiry that the decision on the date of the announcement was set AFTER the decision to abort their foolish push towards a CGT.

Anyone with any understanding of how booking a media event like this works would know that it is planned weeks in advance. This date would have been strategically set in the PM's calendar with the objective of ensuring the journo's would be more interested in their coming 4 day weekend.

This would sit well with the decision she thought was a foregone conclusion until her boss... old Whinny shut it down.

Then the date became a convenient way out of an embarrassing back-flip.

Comment

You would only come to the conclusion of paranoia if you subscribe to the theiry that the decision on the date of the announcement was set AFTER the decision to abort their foolish push towards a CGT.

Anyone with any understanding of how booking a media event like this works would know that it is planned weeks in advance. This date would have been strategically set in the PM's calendar with the objective of ensuring the journo's would be more interested in their coming 4 day weekend.

This would sit well with the decision she thought was a foregone conclusion until her boss... old Whinny shut it down.
                    Paranoia still there I see.
                    Then the date became a convenient way out of an embarrassing back-flip.
                    I have always found it interesting that people see a politician not listening to the people as arrogant and out of touch but when a politician listens to the public and changes what they do it is a back flip.
                    They did what, it seems, the majority of the public wants and pulled back on the CGT - you should be pleased!
                    She still believes a CGT would be a good thing but bows to the will of the majority.
                    She went further and said that a CGT was off the table for her term as head.

Simple Simon is scrambling around trying to make something of it - maybe in a similar position he would have pushed his will ahead of others?
                    Last edited by Wayne; 18-04-2019, 09:43 AM.

Comment

I have always found it interesting that people see a politician not listening to the people as arrogant and out of touch but when a politician listens to the public and changes what they do it is a back flip.
                      I realise politicians are dumb but in ideal world one is to think before opening her stupid mouth. Do research, speak to the people, consult with all affected parties... Not imagine something under influence of substances and back down in tears once 99% of population fight against it

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post

I doubt that Comrade Commissar Cullen
                        I wonder .......

Does he still get to chomp at the trough due to his "expected" expertise being needed and having signed a contract for services to explain the new tax?

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

• Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                          I realise politicians are dumb but in ideal world one is to think before opening her stupid mouth. Do research, speak to the people, consult with all affected parties... Not imagine something under influence of substances and back down in tears once 99% of population fight against it
                          So all this should be behind closed doors - in secret?
                          All those things were done and a conclusion come to - no CGT.

Comment

So all this should be behind closed doors - in secret?
                            All those things were done and a conclusion come to - no CGT.
                            You still don't get it or just trolling? She was elected promising CGT. She appointed her own compadre to back her theory. You and me paid him for this. He came up with what was expected from him. She got scared of backslash and its affects on her election chances and discarded predefined findings.
                            I can't make it any simpler sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by AlFa View Post
                              You still don't get it or just trolling? She was elected promising CGT. She appointed her own compadre to back her theory. You and me paid him for this. He came up with what was expected from him. She got scared of backslash and its affects on her election chances and discarded predefined findings.
                              I can't make it any simpler sorry.
                              Who's trolling? Maybe you are just a narrow thinker?
                              The TWG came up with more than a CGT for their money - the rest is still being worked through.
                              Labour campaigned on a CGT, among other things, but the realities of MMP is that they could get this over the line. Why would anyone go down the track of creating leglislation that would have no hope of getting passed (if they don't have party support)?
                              Also, it appears that a majority of the country doesn't agree with it so the pragmatic and sensible approach is to can it. Anything else would be pure ideological zealotry (and she has shown that is something she isn't (though many here would accuse her of that)).
                              Simple - I'm sure you can grasp that?

Comment

• Jacinda is a PR machine ... this was ONLY about promoting her future... she knew (either already or through the spending of millions of tax payer dollars on a pre-determined outcome) that a CGT would never be tollerated... by making Cullen come up with it she could support the idea but distance herself from it in order to maintain her job.

She is far smarter than she is given credit for... but make no mistake this decision is about her future.

Comment

Working...
                                X