Header Ad Module

Collapse

acc levies tax deducible?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • beno
    Freshie
    • Mar 2010
    • 29

    #1

    acc levies tax deducible?

    For the investors out there who are billed ACC levies because they make a profit, can you tell me if the levies are tax deducible? I am billed about $500 / year for not being a passive investor. Apparently if you use a property manager you don't need to pay ACC.

    Thanks
  • Rosco
    Fanatical
    • May 2007
    • 3710

    #2
    Yes deductible.

    Ross
    Book a free chat here
    Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

    Comment

    • beno
      Freshie
      • Mar 2010
      • 29

      #3
      Thanks Rosco

      Comment

      • artemis
        Fanatical
        • May 2004
        • 3102

        #4
        On a similar topic - every year I wonder why the IR10 Expenses section includes 'Insurance but exclude ACC levies'. Would that be because it is not considered to be insurance? It seems odd to have to include it under Other Expenses.

        (I know, I need to get out more!)

        Comment

        • Wayne
          Fanatical
          • Jun 2004
          • 10899

          #5
          Originally posted by Rosco View Post
          Yes deductible.

          Ross
          But ACC paid for PAYE isn't deductible?
          Wouldn't the ACC levy on profit be effectively on wages?

          Comment

          • Nice
            Addicted
            • May 2012
            • 524

            #6
            I suspect using a PM doesn't change anything; unless that change means you no longer make a profit ?

            Comment

            • Perry
              Geriatric
              • Sep 2004
              • 16861

              #7
              As far as I'm aware ACC levies are not
              in any way based on profit or loss. It's
              usually based on vocation type risk.

              Comment

              • Wayne
                Fanatical
                • Jun 2004
                • 10899

                #8
                quite confused now.
                OP implied (said) they had to pay ACC levy on profit
                Rosco said that this was deductible.

                Comment

                • Perry
                  Geriatric
                  • Sep 2004
                  • 16861

                  #9
                  ACC levies are based on occupational hazards.
                  Or at least that's the way they used to be.
                  Depending on occupation: (skydiving instructor
                  versus clerical worker) the cents-in-the-dollar
                  ACC levy rate relates to the occupation. The
                  actual levy amount per employee is that cents-
                  in-the-dollar figure multiplied by the total
                  dollars-paid-in-wages/salary.

                  Or something very similar to that.

                  An investor will have some sort of occupational
                  status. If the investor makes a taxable profit,
                  my guess is that profit is treated as if it were
                  self-employed wages and levied accordingly.
                  Last edited by Perry; 12-05-2015, 12:56 PM.

                  Comment

                  • Wayne
                    Fanatical
                    • Jun 2004
                    • 10899

                    #10
                    I know all that.
                    So the last bit
                    If the investor makes a taxable profit,
                    my guess is that profit is treated as if it were
                    self-employed wages and levied accordingly.
                    How is that then deductible?

                    Comment

                    • Perry
                      Geriatric
                      • Sep 2004
                      • 16861

                      #11
                      I presume that any ACC levy is a cost of
                      doing business and is therefore deductible,
                      In this case, said levy being based on the
                      PI's profit.

                      Probably like you and many other PIs,
                      I use an accountant, but try to pick up
                      relevant information as and when I can,
                      from here & there and the accountant.

                      Comment

                      • Wayne
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 10899

                        #12
                        The OP asked
                        For the investors out there who are billed ACC levies because they make a profit
                        The business doesn't need to pay ACC so it must be the investor who is paying.
                        This must be because they made a profit as income.
                        Just the same as I pay ACC levy on my income with PAYE - I can't claim a deduction so why would the investor?
                        Still confused.
                        Rosco?

                        Comment

                        • Rosco
                          Fanatical
                          • May 2007
                          • 3710

                          #13


                          It does depend on how the profit is allocated, and I presume from the first post that the rentals were in personal name.

                          Ross
                          Last edited by Perry; 12-05-2015, 02:16 PM. Reason: fixed typo
                          Book a free chat here
                          Ross Barnett - Property Accountant

                          Comment

                          • Perry
                            Geriatric
                            • Sep 2004
                            • 16861

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            The OP asked
                            For the investors out there who are billed ACC levies because they make a profit
                            The business doesn't need to pay ACC so it must be the investor who is paying.
                            This must be because they made a profit as income.
                            Just the same as I pay ACC levy on my income with PAYE - I can't claim a deduction so why would the investor?
                            Still confused.
                            Yeah - I see what you mean.
                            Businesses pay ACC levies on employees wages.
                            I suspect that a shareholder salary is the same,
                            or is treated as the same for ACC levy purposes.

                            Comment

                            • Wayne
                              Fanatical
                              • Jun 2004
                              • 10899

                              #15
                              Thanks Rosco.
                              Yes Perry - I think the difference is that a business can deduct the levies they pay.
                              So if you are self employed you can do the same.
                              Seems fair!

                              Comment

                              Working...