Header Ad Module

Collapse

new to commercial - implications of buying building with 34% earthquake standards?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • jack2016
    Forum Junkie
    • Oct 2016
    • 259

    #1

    new to commercial - implications of buying building with 34% earthquake standards?

    Hi I am wondering if it is wise to buy a building that is only 34% of the earthquake standard? The agent says there is no need to improve it.

    Thanks
  • donna
    Administrator
    • Aug 2003
    • 10072

    #2
    Where is it Jack2016?

    Not sure I’d be listening to an Agent selling the property.

    How long has it been on the market?

    cheers

    Donna
    Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


    BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

    Comment

    • JBM
      Banned
      • Apr 2004
      • 1040

      #3
      I agree with Donna don't trust RE.agents .. but I'd only be looking at 34% NBS(earthquake risk) if it was located in very low earthquake risk area and the building was in very good condition for its age and had great tenant + long term lease at high return

      Comment

      • hawkeye
        Addicted
        • May 2004
        • 744

        #4
        No, no, no, no. You would be crazy.

        Comment

        • erinak
          Opinionated
          • Mar 2018
          • 169

          #5
          Of course the Agent would say that. They're invested in SELLING the property. Caveat Emptor: Let the Buyer Beware.

          Comment

          • donna
            Administrator
            • Aug 2003
            • 10072

            #6
            I've found a blog on it that's worth a read.

            34% and risk to life is 10 times more likely than a new build of a similar building. 34% is considered high risk.

            cheers,

            Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


            BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

            Comment

            • erinak
              Opinionated
              • Mar 2018
              • 169

              #7
              Um, OK. I was assuming Jack2016 had already done their own search on any blogs etc before asking here. If not, then put your feelers out for any available testible site for further info.
              Personally, I would move on.

              Comment

              • Scouser
                Freshie
                • Jan 2017
                • 46

                #8
                It affects ability to finance if below the minimum - but the devil is in the detail. Auckland and Waikato are seismically stable and 33% has been OK for me. Would run a mile from similar in Wellington. In terms of risk 34% is effectively no real risk in Auckland because of relatively tiny earthquake risk but it's not about real risks if banks get involved. The fact mentioned here about 34% being 10 times the risk can be somewhat misleading as ten times a very small number is still a very small number. But again it's about perception rather than reality.

                There have been similar posts before I would read as well.

                Comment

                • darrenc
                  Freshie
                  • Sep 2019
                  • 3

                  #9
                  It depends on the circumstances. I have a 38% NBS in Napier, but it's a wooden building which survived the 1931 earthquake no problems. I wouldn't buy a brick/concrete building with a 34% NBS somewhere that's earthquake-prone. The banks often don't like it when it's less than 67%. If you're getting a good return, or you're landbanking for a future project, that changes the equation.

                  Comment

                  • jack2016
                    Forum Junkie
                    • Oct 2016
                    • 259

                    #10
                    thanks i did not move on that property

                    Comment

                    Working...