Header Ad Module

Collapse

I'm not watching Close Up with Mark Sainsbury any more!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • drelly
    Fanatical
    • Jan 2004
    • 5838

    #1

    I'm not watching Close Up with Mark Sainsbury any more!

    Is anyone else sick of the crap that Close Up dishes out week after week? The total lack of any kind of responsible, objective journalism is embarassing. It's pathetic watching Mark desperately try to find something sensational or get some kind of bite out his target. The Robin Brooke report tonight was the last straw for me. For an accusation of rape (even though the word wasn't used), is Close Up really the right place to take it? Anonymously! It's junk TV, not news.
    Last edited by drelly; 29-06-2010, 09:21 PM.
    You can find me at: Energise Web Design
  • Davo36
    Fanatical
    • Sep 2007
    • 8450

    #2
    Drelly I hardly ever watch TV now, if I am watching something it's on DVD.

    Although the soccer is very good at the moment. On Freeview 7, not channel 1 where it's ads 75% of the time.

    Basically it's all just crap now isn't it? Hospital dramas or Cop Shows showing people getting killed in macabre ways. Reality TV etc.

    If I do like the look of a TV series, I just buy it on DVD and then I can watch it whenever I like, without interruption etc.

    The 'news' on TV1 is absolute BS. We used to watch it every night at 6:00. Now we have the TV off. I hate the breathless delivery of the latest goss and the constant "Coming up.." and "I'll tell you where it's going to rain later but right now it's 6:00." If they just read the news in one go it would take 20 mins.

    And they used their brand name wherever they can: "In a One News exclusive..." or "One News was there..." and so on. They repeat the name "One News" as much as they possibly can.

    Also frequently their news is old, I've seen it on the net 2-3 before.

    And CloseUp is basically the same in most ways. It's entertainment, not news. There is basically no good current affairs on TVNZ at all now. TVNZ7 has a few good docos but they are few and far between and repeated for weeks.
    Squadly dinky do!

    Comment

    • CJ
      Fanatical
      • Oct 2003
      • 3570

      #3
      Originally posted by drelly View Post
      The Robin Brooke report tonight was the last straw for me.
      Is this still the New Years party in Fiji? If so, why dig it up again.

      For me, TV is now for entertainment. If I want news, esp breaking news, I get it on Twitter or google reader. If current affairs, I get it on Google reader. It is all about following the right people to get the info you want. You can very quickly flick through ones you aren't interested.

      Would be interested in any good twitter or RSS feeds anyone follows.

      Comment

      • drelly
        Fanatical
        • Jan 2004
        • 5838

        #4
        CJ - no... a new girl is alleging he had sex with a friend of her's while she was unconscious. Anonymously of course.
        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

        Comment

        • muppet
          Banned
          • Sep 2003
          • 10593

          #5
          Aren't they called groupies?

          Comment

          • ENP
            Addicted
            • Jan 2010
            • 589

            #6
            There is always Shortland Street on TV2.

            It's "high quality" NZ drama...

            > Insert Tui billboard here <
            "You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right"

            Comment

            • Property Man
              Opinionated
              • Aug 2009
              • 206

              #7
              You should see the news in the UK

              Interesting thread. I am overseas in the UK at the moment. You should get a dose of the 6 O'clock news here to appreciate NZ news. Their newspapers are even worse. Second page of the Metro paper is generally about an animal like today it was a Hamster that could surf.

              Absolute rubbish

              Regards
              Aaron

              Comment

              • Cadmium
                Opinionated
                • Jun 2005
                • 174

                #8
                Yep. Like Davo, I save myself the stress and time now and dont watch "TV" at all. Only DVDs. Even if the TV content is good, one minute in every three having advertisements shouted at me is more than I can handle.

                "News" TV is designed to elicit emotions I don't actually want to have. I prefer print/internet for news. A lot of that is junk of course but it is easy to skip quickly to the bits I am interested in.

                Comment

                • donna
                  Administrator
                  • Aug 2003
                  • 10072

                  #9
                  I heard TVNZ are talking about reducing the 6 o'clock news to 30 minutes - that would make sense as they struggle to fill the hour and maybe they can knock off Close Up altogether - or just schedule 15 minutes. Sometimes it's interesting but mostly it's tabloid news or trash magazine stuff aye.

                  Cheers,

                  Donna
                  Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                  BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                  Comment

                  • drelly
                    Fanatical
                    • Jan 2004
                    • 5838

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Donna
                    I heard TVNZ are talking about reducing the 6 o'clock news to 30 minutes - that would make sense as they struggle to fill the hour
                    Amazing isn't it considering how minimal the world news reporting is now! I remember when I first returned to NZ... it was like someone pulled the curtains behind me!
                    You can find me at: Energise Web Design

                    Comment

                    • Davo36
                      Fanatical
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 8450

                      #11
                      Yeah unless it's a cute puppy caught in a drainpipe in outer Mongolia. Then they'll report it!
                      Squadly dinky do!

                      Comment

                      • graemeh
                        Addicted
                        • Sep 2003
                        • 921

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                        Yeah unless it's a cute puppy caught in a drainpipe in outer Mongolia. Then they'll report it!
                        What are you complaining about? The TV news is great.

                        Don't you love living in a country where often the big news story is about a cat up a tree.

                        I'd rather hear that than hear about the latest gory murder (which fortunately we don't get too many of).

                        Comment

                        • casacamo
                          Forum Junkie
                          • Apr 2004
                          • 295

                          #13
                          best news is on prime at 5.30

                          Comment

                          • donna
                            Administrator
                            • Aug 2003
                            • 10072

                            #14
                            yeah I'd prefer 30 mins News and (when I can catch it) Prime News at 5.30 is great...just wish it was on a little later. Only complaint about the Prime News is all the NFL sports news - I don't like NFL - it seems to be on every day all year round. Otherwise I do prefer the Prime News as it incorporates more Aussie news...so it is more 'Australasian'.

                            cheers,

                            Donna
                            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk


                            BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

                            Comment

                            • Perry
                              Geriatric
                              • Sep 2004
                              • 16861

                              #15
                              T'was once said that religion is the opiate of
                              the masses. TV is just the nouveau religion.
                              .

                              Comment

                              Working...