Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PSA - This is the final week to submit on Reserve Bank Debt-To-Income Limits.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PSA - This is the final week to submit on Reserve Bank Debt-To-Income Limits.

The measure they discuss is based on total debt from all sources not exceeding 5x income.
    These are measures which will absolutely impact on investors and if you read the consultation paper you will see are targeted at investors (which would make NZ the only country to have imposed DTI limits on investors). Their thinking is based on the Irish experience where a construction boom led to an oversupply and an exit of capital from the market during the GFC. Their fear is this could lead to pressure on banks.
    Have read multiple pieces from former RBNZ staffers recently who have made submissions and they agree on a few points:
    - The RBNZ don't understand the housing market in depth and have no robust model for housing prices/affordability
    - Banks in NZ have been stress tested (by the Reserve Bank 😄) and can withstand significant crashes to the housing market
    - There is no evidence that high DTI loans are inherently more risky or that they lead to or can predict crises
    - Banks are already capable of assessing risk without blunt tools like this
    - These measures if implemented may lead to growth in riskier, less regulated finance companies and private lenders (last seen in the 80s)
    - LVRs and DTI limits favour wealthy cashed up buyers over those needing finance

Consultation paper here

Submission 1 - Ian Harrison - Tailrisk Economics

Submission 2 - Michael Reddell

Anyone can make a submission. If you're reading this you're one of the stakeholders they're seeking feedback from - you'd be wise to do so here

Your Home Loan - Wellington Mortgage Broker
    [email protected]

Permission to Panic Denied

It's Election Year

Bill English sends signal to central bank to plan end to loan-to-value limits
    15 August 2017
    Originally posted by Stuff
    But the PM explicitly ruled out giving the bank the added tool of DTIs, which it had requested earlier in the year.

"We don't see the need for the further tools, Those are being examined. If there was a need for it then we're open to it, but we don't see the need at the moment .. We won't be looking at it before the election."

Comment

But the Irish had a construction boom!!
      We have a construction shortage.

So they are intending to prescribe the same medicine for the opposing malady!!

Comment

Is it time for some Irish jokes?

Comment

A dyslexic walked into a bra...
          Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick G View Post
            A dyslexic walked into a bra...
            Oi I take a fence - I'm Irish!
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Oi I take a fence - I'm Irish!
              As long as you give it back when you're finished.

Comment

So both main parties say not to DTI and LVRs to go - seems too good to be true and it is - no point harming your chances of getting into power but after the Election my guess is Labour if they win will be looking to target Investors every which way they can so don't fall into their trap.

cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
                X