Header Ad Module

Collapse

I Love Apple

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • freezinhot
    Addicted
    • Oct 2006
    • 569

    #16
    For tech help for your Mac go see Patrick at Magnum Mac on Newton Rd. He is an absolute guru for Mac based problems.

    FH

    Comment

    • cube
      Thinking outside the square.
      • Jun 2005
      • 5076

      #17
      Mac OS has been hacked, and is available (bit-torrent) for non-Apple hardware.

      Good luck in getting hardware drivers for it, 'though.

      cube
      DFTBA

      Comment

      • leapy
        Forum Junkie
        • Oct 2004
        • 283

        #18
        Heg - I would recommend Firefox over Safari, from personal experience.

        Comment

        • Rolf
          Addicted
          • Dec 2004
          • 519

          #19
          I used to have a Mac but switched to PC long time ago, and haven't looked back since. There are just so many more applications to choose from in the PC world.
          And it's currently running Vista with lightning speed, nothing to complain about at all.
          I don't really know why I would want to buy a Mac to run PC apps, so I just stick with the PC.

          But I still like Apple, especially my iPod.
          High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

          Comment

          • Marc
            Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
            • Jul 2003
            • 3853

            #20
            Originally posted by Rolf View Post
            And it's currently running Vista with lightning speed, nothing to complain about at all.
            You must be running it on a Mac Power Book
            Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

            Comment

            • Rolf
              Addicted
              • Dec 2004
              • 519

              #21
              Sorry to dissappoint you Marc, but I must admit it is running on a good old fashioned PC...

              Admitted, Apple do make nice gadgets but I don't think they provide the meaning of life, as some cult followers will want you to believe.
              High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

              Comment

              • Marc
                Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
                • Jul 2003
                • 3853

                #22
                Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                Sorry to dissappoint you Marc, but I must admit it is running on a good old fashioned PC...

                Admitted, Apple do make nice gadgets but I don't think they provide the meaning of life, as some cult followers will want you to believe.


                After working with MS for the last 5 years full time in a professional environment I can honestly say that Apple does provide the meaning of life which is "a stress free day not waiting for your computer to respond".

                Cheers

                Marc
                Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

                Comment

                • freezinhot
                  Addicted
                  • Oct 2006
                  • 569

                  #23
                  Here here!!

                  Comment

                  • PeterEmpowerEd
                    • Oct 2003
                    • 725

                    #24
                    "We don't need no Windows Vista..."

                    Originally posted by Marc View Post


                    After working with MS for the last 5 years full time in a professional environment I can honestly say that Apple does provide the meaning of life which is "a stress free day not waiting for your computer to respond".
                    Marc, you will love this...



                    - Peter

                    PS I know it's not rational... but it's fun.
                    Last edited by PeterEmpowerEd; 23-11-2007, 04:38 PM.
                    Peter Aranyi
                    Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

                    Comment

                    • freezinhot
                      Addicted
                      • Oct 2006
                      • 569

                      #25
                      And apples are are good for you.

                      FH

                      Comment

                      • Marc
                        Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
                        • Jul 2003
                        • 3853

                        #26
                        Hello all,

                        At the end of the day my Apple has not crashed once since I brought it, it has downloaded 1 OS patch (reboot required). It has 1 gig of ram and runs the same software as my Vista machine including MS Office. No disk thrashing, no slow response times (waiting for the computer to catch up).

                        My Vista machine running 2 gigs of ram has a lag time of about 10 seconds if the same amount of applications are running as the Mac and is thrashing the disk so much that I am hearing that sound you here just before your disk dies.

                        The fact is Apple are using as its core a Unix based OS which is much better than Windows will ever be unless MS rewrite the entire OS - they have started to in Vista and look at the results - large amounts of software and device drivers that ran on pre-vista machines can't run on Vista - in fact look at all the NAS devices that use Samba - they cannot run on Vista yet.

                        Whatever you say about Apple - I have not once yelled at my Apple

                        Cheers

                        Marc
                        Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

                        Comment

                        • PeterEmpowerEd
                          • Oct 2003
                          • 725

                          #27
                          Indubitably, my dear Watson....

                          Originally posted by Marc View Post
                          The fact is Apple are using as its core a Unix based OS which is much better than Windows will ever be unless MS rewrite the entire OS - they have started to in Vista and look at the results - large amounts of software and device drivers that ran on pre-vista machines can't run on Vista - in fact look at all the NAS devices that use Samba - they cannot run on Vista yet.
                          Er, yes, Marc. (I think.)
                          This paragraph demonstrates why I thought of you when I saw the youtube movie.
                          Sing it with me... "Hey, windows, leave us geeks alone..."

                          P
                          Peter Aranyi
                          Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

                          Comment

                          • Rolf
                            Addicted
                            • Dec 2004
                            • 519

                            #28
                            Originally posted by Marc View Post
                            Hello all,

                            At the end of the day my Apple has not crashed once since I brought it, it has downloaded 1 OS patch (reboot required). It has 1 gig of ram and runs the same software as my Vista machine including MS Office. No disk thrashing, no slow response times (waiting for the computer to catch up).

                            My Vista machine running 2 gigs of ram has a lag time of about 10 seconds if the same amount of applications are running as the Mac and is thrashing the disk so much that I am hearing that sound you here just before your disk dies.
                            Don't know what you are running Vista on, but I have none of those problems.

                            By the way I'd very much doubt that a Mac can outperform todays fastest PC's, which is the main reason why I have a PC.
                            If you are just running office software etc. then it doesn't matter, but for more heavy computing I would definitely choose a PC any time.

                            It would be interesting to see some comparable benchmarks but I have not been able to find any?
                            Marc, are you able to find some benchmark results for both Mac and PC? Such as applying photoshop filters on large images etc.
                            High resolution Fractal Art on quality canvas: www.FractalArt.co.nz

                            Comment

                            • Marc
                              Strong Fences make Good Neighbours
                              • Jul 2003
                              • 3853

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Rolf View Post
                              Don't know what you are running Vista on, but I have none of those problems.

                              By the way I'd very much doubt that a Mac can outperform todays fastest PC's, which is the main reason why I have a PC.
                              If you are just running office software etc. then it doesn't matter, but for more heavy computing I would definitely choose a PC any time.

                              It would be interesting to see some comparable benchmarks but I have not been able to find any?
                              Marc, are you able to find some benchmark results for both Mac and PC? Such as applying photoshop filters on large images etc.
                              Peter from Empower sent me a link to a Mac PowerBook running Vista and it had the fastest Stats. I will try and locate. Its quite funny.

                              Cheers

                              Marc
                              Free business resources - www.BusinessBlogsHub.com

                              Comment

                              • PeterEmpowerEd
                                • Oct 2003
                                • 725

                                #30
                                Speed

                                Here it is...


                                From PC world:
                                "The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year is a Mac. Try that again: The fastest Windows Vista notebook we've tested this year -- or for that matter, ever -- is a Mac."

                                "... but the MacBook's score is far more impressive simply because Apple couldn't care less whether you run Windows."

                                As I said to Marc: "Oo, er." - Peter
                                Peter Aranyi
                                Blog: www.ThePaepae.com

                                Comment

                                Working...