Header Ad Module

Collapse

Sending Money To Family Overseas

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Perry
    Geriatric
    • Sep 2004
    • 16861

    #1

    Sending Money To Family Overseas

    What's the various ways forumites have found work best?
    And with a minimum of deductions / charges? Not house-
    buying-sized sums, but for birthdays, emergencies, and so
    on.

    Seems Paypal has most everyone beat on fees. Of course,
    both the sender and the receiver need a PayPal account.
    Then there's the Visa Express pre-paid credit card, which
    costs $20 and lasts three years, I'm told.

    Other options . . . .
  • Maccachic
    Fanatical
    • Jul 2011
    • 2759

    #2
    www.XE.com I found brillant for sending to New Zealand (UK and Germany) they dont charge anything they make their money trading currencys. I assume they are just as good going the other way.

    Comment

    • Perry
      Geriatric
      • Sep 2004
      • 16861

      #3
      Care to expand on your experiences?

      The web sites says allow 10 minutes
      for the sign up process and have two
      forms of ID handy . . .

      Easier than Paypal? Maybe? Maybe not.

      Comment

      • Maccachic
        Fanatical
        • Jul 2011
        • 2759

        #4
        I was working overseas and would send to my accounts back in NZ. Sign up did take a bit to arrange with some faxing of documents Germany was a bit more complicated from memory due to extra reg in regards to bank fraud etc (This was back in 2008 or 2009). Once set up $$ would be in my NZ account pretty quickly I think a week max but more like 3 days.


        Does paypal charge or do they make there $ on the spread?

        You didnt need a recriprical XE account just bank accounts - however would pay to check if you can transfer into a bank account that isnt in your name? Mine were all in my name.

        Def the cheapest I found at the time and never gave me any problems.

        Comment

        • Perry
          Geriatric
          • Sep 2004
          • 16861

          #5
          Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
          However would pay to check if you
          can transfer into a bank account
          that isn't in your name?
          A very good point to keep in mind.
          That's a non-issue with PayPal.

          Comment

          • Tan
            Fanatical
            • Nov 2008
            • 1444

            #6
            I have signed up for currencyonline which sounds similar. Any comments on that one?

            Comment

            • Blind Egg
              Freshie
              • Sep 2009
              • 97

              #7
              Has anyone else used XE before, heard it asks for a lot of ID etc? and how does it work?
              Can some one say a family member/friend send money from overs seas with it to myself for example as a x-mas gift?
              Do both parties need to sign up to XE for the transfer?
              Or can they transfer through their bank to XE then XE to me?

              Thanks in advance

              Comment

              • Jette
                Freshie
                • Nov 2011
                • 3

                #8
                I have never heard of XE. I think paypal is the best way to go, as long as both parties have an account. It is really easy, and inexpensive to use.

                Comment

                • Maccachic
                  Fanatical
                  • Jul 2011
                  • 2759

                  #9
                  The good thing with XE is its free its a currency trading site so they make there money from buying and selling cash. Whereas Paypal charges you fees. It also pays to check out the exchange rates I found XE good altho not sure at the time (2007) how much I chacked out everything else. I use Paypal for ebay purchases which is fine.

                  XE did require a lot of ID etc think it had to do with money laundering and fraud laws overseas, I know when I moved to Germany I had to provide additional peices of paper as there laws are tougher.

                  Comment

                  Working...