Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the interest-only mortgage endangered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the interest-only mortgage endangered?

Is the interest-only mortgage endangered?
    Now branded high-risk by the FSA, the product popular with those on a tight budget may just have stored up trouble

Borrowers will find lenders scrutinizing their everyday spending. Photograph: Getty Images

They have helped probably millions of people on to the housing ladder during the past two decades. But could low-cost "interest-only" mortgages be heading for the chop?
    This week, the Financial Services Authority officially branded interest-only home loans as "high-risk", lumping them in with so-called liar loans and mortgages for people with dodgy credit records.
    The FSA has also proposed that, in future, people applying for an interest-only deal would have to show they could in theory afford a more costly repayment mortgage. Bearing in mind that a repayment home loan can easily cost £300 a month more than an interest-only one, it is highly likely many wannabe homebuyers would fail this test.
    The proposed clampdown could also spell bad news for some of those who already have this type of deal. What's more, when they come to remortgage, borrowers will find that lenders will be required to make more rigorous affordability checks, scrutinising their spending on everything from bills to booze.
    In recent years, more and more people have turned to interest-only loans as a way of affording high property prices. With these, although you pay the interest, you don't pay off any of the capital debt, and it is up to you to set up a repayment vehicle – traditionally an endowment policy – to repay the loan at the end of the term.
    It's not hard to see the appeal of these deals. Someone who today takes out a £150,000 mortgage fixed at 3.69% for two years with a 25-year term would have to pay £766 a month on a repayment basis, or £461 a month on an interest-only basis.
    Around 30% of all home loans taken out between April last year and March this year – a total of 358,000 – were interest-only, and it is claimed that as many as five million people have this type of mortgage.
    But the FSA has been worried for a while that many homebuyers who take out these mortgages could be storing up problems for the future, because they have little or no idea how they will pay back the loan. Some could be left with a huge bill when the loan matures in perhaps 20 or 25 years. If they can't pay it off, they could end up being repossessed.
    The regulator says banks and building societies with higher numbers of interest-only customers tend to have more problems with people falling behind with their monthly payments. It adds it is aware that some borrowers are opting for these deals purely because they can't afford a repayment mortgage. It has therefore put them into the "high-risk" product category, but it is not banning them. Instead, it proposes that lenders will have to assess whether or not someone can afford an interest-only home loan by using the figures for an equivalent repayment mortgage.
    "Interest-only mortgages are attractive to those on tight budgets because monthly payments are lower," says Melanie Bien at broker Savills Private Finance. "But they are riskier than repayment deals, particularly if you don't have an investment plan in place to clear the capital at the end of the loan. Those with interest-only mortgages are already finding tougher questions are being asked by lenders as to how they intend to pay back the capital."
    Those borrowing less than 75% of a property's value will probably find it just as easy to get this type of mortgage as a repayment deal, though they may be quizzed about how they intend to pay off the loan. But above 75%, lenders are far more cautious. For example, Royal Bank of Scotland says its maximum loan-to-value (LTV) for customers wishing to pay their mortgage on an interest-only basis is 75%. Abbey announced last year that interest-only borrowers with "a proven repayment vehicle in place" would be able to borrow up to 75% – down from 85% – with those unable to produce evidence of a repayment vehicle limited to 50%.
    What about those already on an interest-only mortgage? They will have no problem moving on to their lender's standard variable rate at the end of their initial period, says Bien, but remortgaging to a fixed or discounted rate could be more tricky. "If they are moving to a deal offered by their lender and have a high LTV, the lender may insist they switch part or all of the loan on to a repayment basis. If they want to remortgage to another lender, this will be even more difficult, as they will have to go through an affordability check, and the interest-only nature of the loan is likely to make the lender wary. This could mean borrowers have no option but to stick with their existing lender on the SVR – fine, perhaps, when interest rates are low, but not so attractive should rates rise and payments become more expensive."
    So, if you have one of these deals, start thinking now about how you are going to pay off the loan.
    What's so bad about an interest-only mortgage?

When I took out an interest-only mortgage three years ago, many of my colleagues looked at me as though I was mad. Taking out such a deal was, in their view, tantamount to getting into bed with the devil – and certainly out of the question for a prudent financial journalist.
    Three years on, no horns have appeared on my forehead, I have probably paid off more of our mortgage than they have, and I consider it to have been one of my better financial moves. Like many, it came about because we were being priced out of family-sized homes.
    Needing to finance the move of the Brignalls (Mrs B and two children) out of our two-and-a-half bed flat in south London, we were struggling to find an affordable house. By going interest-only, nice houses with gardens (well, vegetable-growing area) suddenly became affordable – all for the same monthly repayment had we gone for a smaller home, with a tiny garden – but funded with a repayment mortgage.
    Despite what the FSA says about these deals, I always had a plan to bring down the size of our mortgage. However I've discovered the great thing about going interest-only is that you do it on your own terms.
    I use Mrs B's and my Isa savings accounts to build up a repayment fund – and we are earning more interest on that money than I'm paying out to the mortgage company.
    I have arranged for £250 to be moved from our current into a savings account each month. At the start of the tax year, I push the maximum I can into our Isas – up to £5,100 a month from next April.
    Owing to the current super-low interest rates, our monthly mortgage repayment on our £390,000 Hertfordshire house is just £150 a month – down from almost £900 before rates started tumbling. The pay rate on our mortgage is 1.24% – courtesy of the Bank of England – and yet I'm getting 3.01% on my Manchester Building Society Isa. You don't need to be Mervyn King to know that that's a good state of affairs.
    Of course, interest rates will go back up soon, but I'll still be better off with my deal. The beauty of it is, if the car breaks down, or the roof falls in, I can withhold that month's "repayment" and make the repair. Have a good month, and you can pay in a bit more.
    I'm sure if you have found the perfect house and never plan to move again, a repayment mortgage makes sense. Equally, if you are the sort of person who can't control their finances, then go for a repayment. However, for me, I'll always be sticking to an interest only deal – FSA allowing. Miles Brignall
    Now branded high-risk by the FSA, the product popular with those on a tight budget may just have stored up trouble. By Rupert Jones
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

I actually used to think that interest only mortgages were a really bad idea as you would not be paying anything towards your property. After reading your article and points however; it sounds like you have made a very good move and are doing the right thing. With low repayments like that every month, as well as good interest rates on your savings, it sounds like you have it made! Something for me to think about, as long as they don't become a thing of the past.

Comment

it works for smart investors but it could hurt the normal citizen

interest only mortgages works well if you are a savvy investor or a responsible financial journalist but it could lead to whole mess of trouble if it is a common citizen living on salary after salary.

This is the same reason the housing bubble collapsed in the US and UK government is just learning from the lesson of the US financial crisis.

Jim

Comment

As long as people live above their means, there will always been creative financing options to help them do so more aggressively.

Comment

I wonder if those numbers include Lines of Credit which are basically interest only loans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tpr2 View Post
            I wonder if those numbers include Lines of Credit which are basically interest only loans as well.
            You'd think so aye.

Cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Hi. I've got a bit of money to invest in real estate (over 2 mill) and looking at doing it more through partnerships, but not sure if this is the best way to do it. I know it's more dangerous doing it through a partnership than doing it myself, but I don't really have time to go around and look for the good deals, so that's why I'm thinking of the partnerships. I have one guy that I'm thinking of partnering with in Florida who is getting 20% net returns on some properties, and I think that's a good deal, but still need to think about doing it myself rather than through partnering with others. Trouble is that I don't have the time to put into researching and doing it myself.

Comment

Working...
              X