Here is a response to a couple of questions I posed to Maryan Street MP - Bill initiator .... about tenants liability under the proposed bill regarding property damage.
_________________________________
From: Laurie Lowther [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, 30 November 2006 9:27 a.m.
To: Maryan Street
Subject: RTA Bill
Maryan,
I am concerned about your recommendation to limit tenants liability for
damage to a property to a maximum of 4 weeks rent in certain
circumstances.
I can see the tenant having a party at a property with a guest causing
substantial damage to the property whereupon, the liability for such
damage will not be borne by the tenant, yet the tenant surely should
take responsibility for the property and the quality of the people that
enter the property and their actions.
I could see that upon any such damage, the tenant simply says 'that it
happened at the party and I do not know who made the damage' ...... who
would pay in this scenario?
It could open up the concept of 'trashing' parties
_________________________________
Dear Laurie
Thanks for your email.
There is a need to limit tenants' liability for damage they did not
cause, in my view and in the view of the judge who presided over the
case that precipitated my bill.
In the end, the Minister has come to a good compromise I think - there
is some liability, but only up to 4 weeks' rent. What has also been
added in is that tenants are only NOT liable for actual damages if they
did not cause it themselves, AND took all reasonable steps to prevent it
from happening. So they will have to take responsibility for their
guests' behaviour.
I hope this addresses the concerns you have about trashing parties.
Culpable parties are not being let off the hook at all.
Kind regards,
Maryan Street MP.
_________________________________
From: Laurie Lowther [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Thursday, 30 November 2006 9:27 a.m.
To: Maryan Street
Subject: RTA Bill
Maryan,
I am concerned about your recommendation to limit tenants liability for
damage to a property to a maximum of 4 weeks rent in certain
circumstances.
I can see the tenant having a party at a property with a guest causing
substantial damage to the property whereupon, the liability for such
damage will not be borne by the tenant, yet the tenant surely should
take responsibility for the property and the quality of the people that
enter the property and their actions.
I could see that upon any such damage, the tenant simply says 'that it
happened at the party and I do not know who made the damage' ...... who
would pay in this scenario?
It could open up the concept of 'trashing' parties
_________________________________
Dear Laurie
Thanks for your email.
There is a need to limit tenants' liability for damage they did not
cause, in my view and in the view of the judge who presided over the
case that precipitated my bill.
In the end, the Minister has come to a good compromise I think - there
is some liability, but only up to 4 weeks' rent. What has also been
added in is that tenants are only NOT liable for actual damages if they
did not cause it themselves, AND took all reasonable steps to prevent it
from happening. So they will have to take responsibility for their
guests' behaviour.
I hope this addresses the concerns you have about trashing parties.
Culpable parties are not being let off the hook at all.
Kind regards,
Maryan Street MP.


Comment