Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re landlord selling the house

Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice regarding the landlord selling the house. We have been happy tenants in the house for almost 3 years and have recently been informed by the landlord that they are going to sell the house. Bit disappointing as we were hoping to get at least another year here and didn't really want to have to go through the hassle of moving just to rent again but unfortunately we're not in a position to be able to buy just yet. Also kind of disappointing to be told at 8pm last Thursday night as we were looking forward to a stress free long weekend, but guess there would never be a good time for that call. And we always knew when renting that this would probably happen one day.

Anyway onto the relevant bit, we have a fixed term tenancy ending 31st July 2015, everything is above board with a proper tenancy agreement and bond lodged. I have discovered tonight the place has been listed for sale on Trademe with the ad using language like "to be sold by deadline private treaty (by 2 May)" and "Just move in and start living, or retain the current tenant." As far as I understand it, we cannot be made to move out before 31st July can we? I don't think any new owner can "just move in" can they?

Also what does the deadline private treaty by 2 May mean? I assume this just means offers to be submitted by then rather than house to be sold by then? There is also no mention in the ad that there are current tenants until 31 July which he told me over the phone he would include.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by ajc28; 06-04-2015, 07:46 PM.

if possible send him an email

tell him you've seen the tm ad and ask him if he's forgotten about your lease

keep it polite

see what he says
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

Comment

Or, keep quiet and get some dosh as an incentive to release the landlord from the fixed term.

www.3888444.co.nz
      Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks. He's trying to sell it privately rather than use an agent so will probably just ask him if he's going to make it clear to people who view it that there is a tenancy until the end of July since it's not clear on the ad. Would certainly be open to doing some sort of deal to leave early if that's what he/the new owners would like, but we'd have to be given enough time to find a new place too as that's not an easy task with a lot of competition. As long as we can't be required to move out before then at short notice without our agreement.

Also any tips on the etiquette around open home viewings? We've agreed some times we'll usually be out due to Saturday afternoon sport but is there anything we need to be aware of? Little bit uncomfortable about the possibility of people going through our stuff while we're not there but guess there's nothing we can really do about that.
        Last edited by ajc28; 06-04-2015, 11:58 PM.

Comment

You have no contents insurance if people who are invited into the home partake of your belongings while they are there. Just confirm with your insurance company.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks, I assumed that would be the case. Will check with my insurance but I assume there's nothing I can really do other than hide anything of value.

Comment

Have a read at this link - it sets out the rights and responsibilities in your situation. Quite possible the landlord is not aware. The least stressful course of action is to see if you can leave before the end of the fixed term and how much notice is required in that situation. Then you can start looking for an alternative. Which you may well need to do anyway if the place is sold but this way gives you the initiative.

Comment

Working...
              X