Flatmates - storage problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatmates - storage problem

What are the rules regarding flatmates storing their stuff around the house that can't be stored in their room? I realise flatmates do have belongings (e.g. furniture, fishing rods, could be boxes of miscellaneous stuff etc). Am I meant to specify something in the contract, if they over-exceed storing their belongings in my house, which has filled up my dining-room area etc? I am thinking of spending $500-$700 for a small shed dedicated to storing flatmate stuff. Then I thought, 'What happens if my flatmate fills this shed up with their stuff and brings more stuff into my house'? It seems there'll be no end and this will be a 'band-aid' not a cure. If I got some payment for the shed, that'll be out of my pocket, that would help but I don't think they're willing to pay more than they're paying now.

In the past, I let my previous flatmate store lots of stuff in my house with no fuss.

i have a flatmate rule that unless its meant to be shared by the rest of the group all their belongings have to be stored in their room...before they move in i always ask how much stuff they have , if it wont fit in their room i offer storage under the house..
    if they need extra storage space & you have it ,you can charge them.Storage rates are at a premium in Auckland, minimum for 2m x 3m is around $30 pw

Comment

I would like to charge them extra for storage space but I already tried to get them pay for the broadband internet (this is another matter). Regrettably I wrote in the contract, 'I'll pay for the broadband', because I wanted to attract more flatmates by offering a 'good deal'. I have learned from this experience and in future, will charge flatmates for the broadband as well. (The only expenses flatmates are paying for is power and water).

Comment

we have a deal with vodafone incl sky that works well..they each pay $10pw for the internet...... sky ,power and phone are free..
        Last edited by mrsaneperson; 09-07-2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

You rent them a room and they take the house.

Comment

opps double post...
            Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 09-07-2014, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Sounds like some posters can't handle having flatmates.

There is a financial and social dimension to flatmates. Some people just think about the financial part and treat them like cash cows at that....

If you can't handle sharing, don't get flatmates.

If you imagine issues (paranoid) or OCD you're going attract conflict.

If you want to subsidise your vices (ie: consumption of refreshing, even intoxicating liquid), get flatmates who share the same vices.

If you have relationship issues definitely don't get others involved.
              Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 09-07-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

I actually started living in my own house back in the 80's with a bunch of flatmates and it helped pay the mortgage, but i also loved it socially..My brother by contrast liked total privacy and was intolerant so having flatmates wasn't an option for him. It isn't for everyone but if you have an affinity with "the common man" it helps a bunch.

Comment

Solution

I might buy a shed. That'll give me more storage space around the house and it's very useful in the long-run.

Comment

Encroachment Theory - you clear a space and it fills up with other people's stuff
                    source: Eugene
                    I have observed this over many years of cohabiting, even since I was a kid

Comment

I would say to them before they move in that if they have stuff that doesn't fit in their room they need to find a place to store it. Tell them if there is a small area in the house they can use and the rest they will have to find room for elsewhere.

Comment

A situation where all personal possessions needs to be kept in your room sounds more like a boarder or lodger than 'flatmate' - I think a lot of people would find this quite off-putting as it's not very home-like to have to confine all possessions to one area.

Comment

Originally posted by lizzy View Post
                          A situation where all personal possessions needs to be kept in your room sounds more like a boarder or lodger than 'flatmate' - I think a lot of people would find this quite off-putting as it's not very home-like to have to confine all possessions to one area.
                          That was my thinking reading this.
                          I had flat mates years ago and since they paid for a share of the house they got a share of the house.
                          This was one of those old fashioned flats where we shared cooking etc - acted like a family really.
                          Any issues got sorted with a chat together.
                          I owned the house but wasn't the boss - I felt I gave that up when I invited others to pay.
                          I suppose if you just want to rent a room you need to make that very clear.

My flatting days ended very happily. Got a wife (flatmate dispite her rule about not dating flatmates) and some long term friends.

Comment

There's this neat online, in the cloud, web based solution.
                            Called TradeMe.
                            Punters actually pay cash for that junk.
                            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post
                              There's this neat online, in the cloud, web based solution.
                              Called TradeMe.
                              Punters actually pay cash for that junk.
                              I suspect that is where the junk is coming from...

Comment

Working...
                              X