No announcement yet.

Please advise on how to deal with a screaming abusive tenant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks everyone for your advice. And I love the poem from PC.

I have just signed up with a very nice but very tough PM, and I would love to be a fly on the wall when the two leading PMs in their business go and visit her tomorrow. Meanwhile I'm getting together everything they need to begin their management of this woman and I am heaving a sigh of relief. Can't thank you all enough for giving your time to advise me. I really appreciate it and the lovely personal message I received too. I'll update in a week or two to tell you how it's going. Thanks again.

Comment

Great move. I'm sure you will sleep better without the stress of dealing with her personally.

Comment

Originally posted by Tulip View Post
        She has her own copy of the TA so I don't see why I should give her another......not without a please anyway.
        I did a bit of research on this question. Yes, the tenant should have a copy of everything she signs.
        So if you altered a clause in the contract, and she signed it, then she should be provided with her own copy of that altered contract.

If you did that and she lost it, not really your responsibility to provide a replacement.

Personally I would issue another copy of the altered contract, it's not much trouble and that way everyone knows the rules.
        Last edited by McDuck; 22-05-2014, 02:06 PM. Reason: gram

Comment

Originally posted by cube View Post
          90 Day notice.

Does putting a padlock on the gate, preventing access, constitute changing the locks, which I believe is illegal (RTA, section 46).
          YEP - lock or "similar device" cannot be altered or added

Comment

Tulip I'm sorry you have had such a rough time dealing with an irrational nut-case, hopefully good PM's will act using rational professionalism and apply skills & experience to deal with her in an unemotional manner and this mad woman stops haranguing you. Keep posting

Comment

Originally posted by Cassandra View Post
              Tulip I'm sorry you have had such a rough time dealing with an irrational nut-case, hopefully good PM's will act using rational professionalism and apply skills & experience to deal with her in an unemotional manner and this mad woman stops haranguing you. Keep posting
              Hi Cassandra, thanks for your kind words. She was a nightmare and I slept so much better last night (you were right Dazraz) knowing she wasn't my problem any more. I think for the 8% rent I will be paying for the PM it's an absolute bargain really. The poor PM will have her hands full with this one. I don't know how they cope as they must have dozens of awkward people to manage.

Can I ask that question to you other PM's on here- do you find it very stressful or because ultimately the property is not your own you can deal with it less emotionally? I'd be interested to know.....

Comment

I regard the property as my own, and the PM as in my employ. The PM has a job to do, as does the tenant, which is keeping my house in order and behaving like a rational and responsible human being which includes paying the rent in full and on time. If all that comes together, and there is no reason why it should not if one keeps well on top of things and cuts problems off before they get a chance to hatch, I sleep like a baby.

Comment

The only stressful time I had was when a tornado went thru one place. My first concern was that the tenant and her kids were ok. My 2nd concern was organising insurance from the other side of the world. My 3rd was ensuring it was liveable so they remain in-situ (and keep paying).

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                    ......., I sleep like a baby.
                    yes, I had read somewhere that Orewa was the main retail centre in NZ for adult diapers.

Comment

Hi Cassandra, thanks for your kind words. She was a nightmare and I slept so much better last night (you were right Dazraz) knowing she wasn't my problem any more. I think for the 8% rent I will be paying for the PM it's an absolute bargain really. The poor PM will have her hands full with this one. I don't know how they cope as they must have dozens of awkward people to manage.

Can I ask that question to you other PM's on here- do you find it very stressful or because ultimately the property is not your own you can deal with it less emotionally? I'd be interested to know.....
                      Hi Tulip - I've managed property for over a decade...and have been under fire- including verbal attack from tenants on occasion. Thankfully no physical attacks- but there have been moments of concern. Most times our property owner customers' remain blissfully unaware as being the tenant's point of contact is exactly what a PM undertakes in taking such stresses away from their customer . Acting professionally and ethically and observing RTA statues remains key to staying strong in our convictions when dealing with difficult people, but it can be an occupational stress - especially when abuse is directed at quite a personal level.

Last one I had told me he was going to write on every blog and tell the world that I was a "liar and a thief " as he thought my trades person invoices for damages and cleaning bills deducted from his bond were expensive ..oh well - i think the folk that would pay heed to his rant wouldn't be the type of people I want to do business with anyway ;-)

Comment

I meant that I wake up screaming every 2 hours, but yeah, those constant toilet stops can be a pain, 6-fingered one. At least we have inside toilets and don't have to battle the chiggers each time the big brown dog starts barking at the back door.

Comment

The stress is still there but it is easier as we treat it as a business and deal with issues not personalities.

www.3888444.co.nz
                          Facebook Page

Comment

... I slept so much better last night....
                            I hope you get back into the hands on dealings with your tenants once this one has ended. You sound like a great landlady, you just need an appreciative tenant.

I think there's a third party winding up your tenant, and if she's been in a abusive situation previously, I'm afraid you're getting unfairly lumbered with the anger from that.

Comment

Thanks McDuck. I think you're right about the third party. Sad, but it's not fair to take it out on others....

But then, as Bill Gates said "Life isn't fair, get used to it."

Comment

Goodness I do wish more people would ask that question.

Have a read of the email I sent to a publicly funded social agency this morning.
                                Cherie

Attached is a copy of the court application.
                                Jackie will be issued with a court summons to appear in the Tenancy Tribunal at the District court Bridge Street.
                                She is permitted to have a support person appear with her but that person is not permitted to speak at the hearing.
                                The two of you have to decide if you are going to meet the minimum stands society sets for living in the community or move to a landlord who does not care such as HNZ.
                                That might seem a bit harsh to describe HNZ like that but unfortunately for New Zealand this is a common practice in the ghettos that HNZ manage.
                                I am not going to put up with broken windows and mountains of rubbish. There is no excuse to deliberately act this way.
                                Both of you have been clearly notified of the problem and together you are pretending it will go away.
                                It is not acceptable. Do something about it.

Glenn

Oh yes by the way. I am working on Saturday morning just like every other day of the week.
                                My staff ask why not just kick her out. Why not indeed. Why not give up climbing those mountains I love climbing. The joy is not all related the view at the top.
                                It is not related to the 8%. Leave the easy stuff to the softies. Give me a challenge.

Comment

Working...
                                X