• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tenants from hell evicted after 6-month battle

Tenants from hell evicted after 6-month battle

ANNA TURNER Last updated 05:00 10/10/2013

STACY SQUIRES/ Fairfax NZ
    TRASHED: Brent Newsome’s Avondale property has been left ‘‘a tip’’ after his tenants refused to move out.

STACY SQUIRES/ Fairfax NZ
    INSIDE STORY: A trashed bedroom in Brent Newsome’s Avondale house.

A Christchurch landlord had his property trashed for six months while he fought to remove his tenants.
    Brent Newsome, 65, has been left over $5000 out of pocket and with a house filled with rubbish, faeces and clothing after his tenants from hell refused to leave his property.
    "I've never seen anything like it. It's utterly disgusting," he said.
    More at
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

The most telling statement from the above story....
    "As a landlord I probably could have nipped it in the bud earlier, but I want to show others how few rights you can have as a landlord and how hard it is to get someone out of your own home.

"The system doesn't really favour the landlord."
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Comment

I like this statement: "Every time I went round there she'd let the pitbulls into the corridor or lock the door. I texted them, called them; they wouldn't get out. They kept promising to go but never leaving." Then finally he goes to tribunal to get a possession order.
      Plan and invest wisely - You only get one life so make the most of it!

Comment

Umm a good reason to use a property manager - vetting the tenants, doing the regular inspections etc.

cheers,

Donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Yes, I'd say its 40% a landlording problem.
          Ameteur landlord without a clue.

As I keep saying, being a Landlord is a business and you have to be businesslike to keep it running.

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            Umm a good reason to use a property manager - vetting the tenants, doing the regular inspections etc.

cheers,

Donna
            Or do it yourself --the right way

Comment

Originally posted by skid View Post
              Or do it yourself --the right way
              yes - the right way is the key.
              He didn't deserve what he got but did prolong it by not using the proper process earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                being a Landlord is a business
                Quoted for truth.

Comment

Why is there not a public register where the tenants names can be made public? I have a couple of ex tenants whose names I would like to share.
                  YOu can do such things on sites like NO Cowboys. If you have grudge about a tradey or a business (could be opposition) you post a bad rating and it stays there forever like the proverbial to a blanket!
                  Can't remove it, don't even have to be registered with the site. I want a site like that so scum bag tenants can be named for private and professional property managers to view.

Comment

Post the TT order here.

OH!

Just thought, you did take them to the TT?

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                      Post the TT order here.

OH!

Just thought, you did take them to the TT?
                      Different applications for different situations. Sometimes not worth the aggro of going through TT so like many private landlords just let it go.
                      I have just dispensed with a PM company because they don't credit check or investigate tenants application thoroughly enough for me. Sometimes just checking out their FB or googling them will give you what you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                        Different applications for different situations. Sometimes not worth the aggro of going through TT so like many private landlords just let it go.
                        You want me to "go through the aggro" every time so that you can have the benefit and yet you are too lazy.

Gee.

Thanks.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

I just wonder what happens when he wants his car fixed. Does he pull it apart himself then blame the Repco when the oil pours out all over the garage floor. I bet he gets a real dentist onto his teeth. I think he got what he deserved. Great advertising for property managers. The trouble is most people do not connect the dots ....... ....... ..I have spent the last couple of days searching all the tribunal orders for the last 12 months in Nelson. Some orders were for massive rent arrears. All the large ones were private landlords apart from one firm with a name starting with Q.
                          Little wonder that firm keeps moving to smaller and cheaper premises.

Comment

A brother and sister who sold whiteware belonging to the brother's landlord have been charged with theft after the landlord found his items in a secondhand store.

Saara Spotswood, 24, and Dion Spotswood, 20, appeared in Napier District Court yesterday where the pair pleaded guilty to a charge of theft in relation to the incident.

Latest breaking news articles, photos, video, blogs, reviews, analysis, opinion and reader comment from New Zealand and around the World - NZ Herald
                            have you defeated them?
                            your demons

Comment

11/01803/na

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Working...
                              X