Is it just me or have some of you members noticed that some mediators are getting a bit difficult to deal with.
I have had a few mediations in the last 12 months where the mediator took a strong anti landlord view.
They start off by rattling off their little chant about not taking sides then immediatly start creating their own interpetation of the law.
I have had a few cases where the tenant and I have agreed but the mediator would not listen. One I chanted the tenant and landlord agree to this solution and it is your job to write it that way. Two of the mediators wanted to bully me into saying that because the tenant paid half way through a rent period (late of course) the arrears only go to the day they pay and not the end of the current rent period. Like they demanded to make a broken rent period so the rent of say $300 per week was 3 weeks and 4 days in arrears instead of say 4 weeks in arrears. My most recent mediation carried on after the tenant went off the line. The mediator and I continued to talk and her solution was to say it would have to be up to the adjudicator to decide. You should have seen the resulting mediators order. It had no resemblance to what the tenant had offered and I agreed. The tenant had offered to pay the regular rent and then start two weeks out paying the regular rent plus $100 extra. Well the order said nothing about the next weeks payment but just said the tenant would be paying $50 without even mentioning the regular rent payments which she pays fortnightly.
So rant off. Has anyone else been having this experience.
I have had a few mediations in the last 12 months where the mediator took a strong anti landlord view.
They start off by rattling off their little chant about not taking sides then immediatly start creating their own interpetation of the law.
I have had a few cases where the tenant and I have agreed but the mediator would not listen. One I chanted the tenant and landlord agree to this solution and it is your job to write it that way. Two of the mediators wanted to bully me into saying that because the tenant paid half way through a rent period (late of course) the arrears only go to the day they pay and not the end of the current rent period. Like they demanded to make a broken rent period so the rent of say $300 per week was 3 weeks and 4 days in arrears instead of say 4 weeks in arrears. My most recent mediation carried on after the tenant went off the line. The mediator and I continued to talk and her solution was to say it would have to be up to the adjudicator to decide. You should have seen the resulting mediators order. It had no resemblance to what the tenant had offered and I agreed. The tenant had offered to pay the regular rent and then start two weeks out paying the regular rent plus $100 extra. Well the order said nothing about the next weeks payment but just said the tenant would be paying $50 without even mentioning the regular rent payments which she pays fortnightly.
So rant off. Has anyone else been having this experience.


Comment