Getting tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you going to tell about 'personal
    hygiene' standards on an open day visit?

Comment

How are you going to tell? be there at the open home, and look at them? if you can't tell someone personal hygiene from looking at them, there is somethign wrong. plus you will greet them, and most likely smell them if they are bad...

Comment

If anyone turns up in an odorous style, that's
        one thing. How their personal hygiene spreads
        to keeping the shower/kitchen clean is another.

Comment

Then how does their car relate at all either? I don't see how one works and the other doesn't. Car.. Doesn't have a bin, easy to let it get dirty... Personal hygeine, lack of a shower... But whatever... I kinda of think your view is very one sided, and lacks logic. Why would a dirty person, live in a clean home? But again, whatever.

Comment

No great logic necessary. They are just part of a range of indicators. No more.
            If a pair, one spouse's car/habits/hygiene will only be half the story. Once all
            the references, credit checks and so on are done, if there are several first-
            equal applicants, it does come down to gut-feeling and micro matters in any
            final determination.

Comment

If they smell then maybe they don't shower. If they don't shower then the shower doesn't get dirty and need cleaning :-)

Comment

Agree with Perry's last comment. I suspect people are trying to take these things in isolation - dirty car, dirty people, dirty house. They are peices of the overall picture - a puzzle.

Comment

What has worked for us is that we advertise in trade me, have an open home evening and ask those interested to fill out an application form. My wife and I discuss who we think after the open home is most suitable, we may prioritise several of those that have attended and then we do a credit check (I am fortunate that I am able to do this via work for no cost) Once this is done and we are satisfied that we have found someone suitable to offer the house to them, we ask if we can come to their current residence on the pretentence of signing up the tenancy agreement and bond and collecting the first weeks rent to hold the place until they move in. This way we get to see how they treat their current tenancy and get an idea of how they may treat our property. Fortunately to date we haven 't had to decline anyone after seeing how they live, so I guess our own intuition is pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by unhinged View Post
                    Fortunately to date we haven 't had to decline anyone after seeing how they live, so I guess our own intuition is pretty good.
                    What would be your position if you did decline after seeing how they lived and they took you to the TT?

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

What if you discover they live in a total sty? On the pretence you've offered, you're going to turn away and say "forget it. That boy is a P.I.G. PIG" (to quote Babs Jansen).

Comment

Just being pedantic here TLL.

The tenant has a tenancy. The landlord must give 90 days notice.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                          What would be your position if you did decline after seeing how they lived and they took you to the TT?
                          If you were going to offer them the tenancy but didn't after seeing how they live can they take you to the TT since there isn't a tenancy?

Comment

"On the pretence of signing up the tenant". The haven't signed yet.

Babs also said, and I quote, "Greg, honey, is it supposed to be this soft?".

Comment

The tenancy exists. Makes no difference if it is not in writing or signed yet. The LL was going there:

we ask if we can come to their current residence on the pretentence of signing up the tenancy agreement and bond and collecting the first weeks rent to hold the place until they move in
                              The intention is to sign the tenancy agreement. I'm sure the LL does not say, "well, we'll call in and look at your place and if it's a pigsty we won't offer you the tenancy".

It is plain the offer has been made.

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

Easily denied though, for the unscrupulous LL.

Comment

Working...
                                X