Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HNZ palming everything off as "fair, wear and tear"

Hi,

Where can one draw the line on what is "fair, wear and tear" and what is "damage". I've had a couple of invoices come through from HNZ saying certain repair work carried out at the property was fair, wear and tear. I've disputed this and asked for a reason. The "lease manager" (they don't like being called property managers) said she would speak to the maintenance guys and provide more information. Today I received an email which simply said she'd spoken to them and they'd confirmed it was fair, wear and tear! No explanation, no nothing.

I think technically anything can be fair, wear and tear. For example if children were to ride bicycles inside the house then the floor surfaces would suffer more wear and tear than normal. HNZ could quite easily push this on me to get it repaired. Where do you draw the line?

I have grave concerns about this type of stuff. I have no control over who the tenants are at my HNZ property. I have no relationship with them. In my particular case the tenant is using the place as a storage facility. Both the garage and a couple of bedrooms are full of junk. You can imagine the damage moving this stuff would cause to the house. The damage may not be immediate e.g. hole in the wall, but could be what I deem to be "accelerated" wear on the house.

What about neglect on the part of the tenants? If a tenant was to not clean or wipe down wet surfaces then again this would lead to accelerated wear of the surfaces. How can push this back on HNZ?

Thanks

I think you're kinda screwed

It's kinda like the guy who died of natural causes .... he was shot in the head and naturally this caused him to die....... everything will be fair wear and tear.

HNZ are going to try to weasel out of of everything they possibly can IMHO.

Good luck

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

Unfortunately rats, this is the other side of that coin you tossed...you know, the one about whether to go it alone or sign up to HNZ?

I fear your hands are tied.
      Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

You do get guaranteed rent though?

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

After rule Number 1 - Location, Location, Location.
          Comes Rule Number 2 - Avoid anything with guaranteed rent.

What specifically was the damage?
          Don't lie down and take it - raise merry hell with them.
          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

I agree you are stuffed but I would still push back. Get an explaination of what the damage is and what caused it.

If it is a hole, it is not fair wear and tear.

peeling paint (fair wear and tear)

If mould damage, is it caused by bad ventiliation (fair wear and tear) or not using the fan etc (not fair wear and tear). If bad ventilation, they shouldn't just fix the mould but the ventilation as well.

What sort of damage does storage cause? Other than imprints on the carpet (fair wear and tear)?

I have charged tenants for a hole in the wall (the fell of the bed while changing the light bulb) but not for a cracked cooktop (a post on this site said their could be an innocent explaination and it was 6y old).

Comment

So many helpful posts! ;-) I was hoping for something a little bit more constructive. Surely there are posters to this forum who have experienced this and have some tips on how to deal with HNZ?

Comment

^ I don't think a very high portion of posters to this site would be the type to enter into HNZ contracts.......just saying

Good luck

Cheers
                Spaceman

Comment

Yes, I'll be raising merry hell that's for sure.

I notice there is not much sympathy for us HNZ property owners. This is a bit sad.

Comment

I believe that somewhere out there in Web world is a site for disgruntled HNZ property owners - similar problems to yours. Just google I am sure you will find it

Comment

Here's an interesting one.

Comment

Thanks. I will be getting in touch with this guy soon.

Comment

Originally posted by rats123 View Post
                          Yes, I'll be raising merry hell that's for sure.

I notice there is not much sympathy for us HNZ property owners. This is a bit sad.
                          Not so. Have a lot of sympathy for you and others in your position. Heard about the HNZ lease deals before and thought they sounded perfect. No able to offer anything new in advice. I certainly wouldn't let it pass. Shame they need to treat property owners in the same way they treat tenants.

Stick with it and get some answers. Disputes tribunial is quite cheap if it comes to that. If they can't itemise it, why should you pay. If you get your car serviced, they can tell you what they did so why not repairs?

Comment

Housing NZ Owners & Landlords. 382 likes · 2 talking about this. Created as a forum for landlords in NZ

Still seems to have a bit of traffic.

Comment

It's a facebook group.

Comment

Working...
                              X