Header Ad Module

Collapse

Copied Key

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green sea
    Freshie
    • Jun 2009
    • 2

    #1

    Copied Key

    Hi,

    I've just have a general question about copied keys for the property.
    I have the tenants who end the tenancy today and leave the property.
    When they started the tenancy, I gave them one garage door remote for the garage door and security alarm. However, they wanted another one as their flatmate wants to have the garage door remote so they copied the garage door opener during their tenancy.

    Now they have two remotes and they want to sell one to me for $100.
    I didn't want to buy for that price and they told me if I do not buy it, then they will sell to other people.

    For me, it doesn't make sense as it is the key to the house and they are trying to sell it away to other people. I always returned all the keys even the ones that I copied when I rented the place back while ago. I asked them to lower the price and they are not willing to do that as that is the price they paid. I got the quotation and it was between $80 ~ $120.

    The question is, can they sell other person's house key?

    I called DBH and they told me, I can't do anything about it as I only provided one and they can do whatever they want to do with another one. I argued DBH as it seems wrong to sell the house key but they just told me I need to change the garage door lock to secure the place and it's not covered by RTA. They even told me that it is my obligation now to change the lock as I need to provide secure place to my next tenants and probably could not claim back the cost for it.

    I think it's unreasonable and it doesn't make sense to me.
    I would be very appreciated if anyone could give me any advice.

    p.s. I'm thinking I might ask them to leave the key in goodwill or lower the price. (I tried but didn't work but I'll try one more time) Otherwise, ask them to destroy the key.
    Last edited by Green sea; 23-06-2009, 12:43 PM.
  • rueben
    Forum Junkie
    • Oct 2006
    • 368

    #2
    Originally posted by Green sea View Post
    Hi,

    I called DBH and they told me, I can't do anything about it as I only provided one and they can do whatever they want to do with another one. I argued DBH as it seems wrong to sell the house key but they just told me I need to change the garage door lock to secure the place and it's not covered by RTA. They even told me that it is my obligation now to change the lock as I need to provide secure place to my next tenants and probably could not claim back the cost for it.

    I think it's unreasonable and it doesn't make sense to me.
    I would be very appreciated if anyone could give me any advice.

    p.s. I'm thinking I might ask them to leave the key in goodwill or lower the price. (I tried but didn't work but I'll try one more time) Otherwise, ask them to destroy the key.
    I think you are penny pinching - its your house, you will be letting it again and it will be handy for your next tenants - Its only $100 bucks and is tax deductible.

    Otherwise I can see your next tenant asking for another door remote - which is a reasonable thing to ask - its a double garage isn't it? - and then the same thing happening again.

    Comment

    • drelly
      Fanatical
      • Jan 2004
      • 5838

      #3
      The keys are re-programmable, so I wouldn't worry about it.
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

      Comment

      • outspoken
        Fanatical
        • Nov 2007
        • 1062

        #4
        Originally posted by drelly View Post
        The keys are re-programmable, so I wouldn't worry about it.
        Haha, You're dead right drelly, but it will cost $100 in callout fee to reprogram the remote.

        I wouldnt worry about it. Who else are they going to sell it to for $100?
        Someone who will reprogram it for their own garage door.
        Worst comes to worst and you get broken into via the garage door, at least you'll know who it was.

        Comment

        • SuperDad
          Hamilton Event Organiser
          • Apr 2006
          • 4015

          #5
          Unbelievable!!!!!

          Comment

          • revdev
            Fanatical
            • Jan 2005
            • 1816

            #6
            This is no different from the X amount of times your tenant cuts new keys and doesn't tell you about it. It's not like you have a new lock put on after every tenancy is it?

            Just politely say no thanks, and carry on as you were.

            G
            Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

            Comment

            • whitt
              Fanatical
              • Jun 2005
              • 3922

              #7
              I am sure you wil be able to ggole how to program the remote openers.
              Then simply erase all codes and reprogramm your current remote. Then it wont matter as they cant use other copy.

              Some reputable places will tell you how to do it over the phone. The $100 is just a scam they use to get some money.

              Comment

              • Re@der
                Addicted
                • Jan 2006
                • 570

                #8
                Re programming remotes is easy and usually in the manual.Tell these blackmailing miscreants where to go and take their remote with them. These door remotes sell on trademe for about a third of the normal price. I have bought two extra and reprogrammed them for my door. If you wanted to negotiate you could print out a relevant trade me page and show them.
                Doug

                Comment

                • Re@der
                  Addicted
                  • Jan 2006
                  • 570

                  #9
                  PM me with the door details and if one of the common varieties I will send you a link to a website that will enable you to reprogram remote and receiver unit. They usually just have about 5 switches to match up.
                  Doug

                  Comment

                  • Perry
                    Geriatric
                    • Sep 2004
                    • 16861

                    #10
                    As a corollary question . . .

                    Should TA's have a clause the prohibits copying/cutting
                    of extra keys? My TA's include such a clause, saying
                    that if extra keys are required, they must ask me for
                    them and pay for them and return them when they
                    leave without payment by me. Perhaps a bit redundant,
                    as I use a security key system that has patented keys
                    which are very hard to get copied and the place that can
                    do them wont, unless they get proper authorisation.

                    Not exactly the same as a remote, but I mention that
                    in case people want to include such a clause in their
                    TA's, in future.

                    Gotta love the eejits that crafted the RTA and staff
                    the phones at DBH, eh? "You were helpful? Oh, then
                    it's all your fault!"
                    Pursuant to s11 (2)?

                    Comment

                    • Wayne
                      Fanatical
                      • Jun 2004
                      • 10899

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Re@der View Post
                      PM me with the door details and if one of the common varieties I will send you a link to a website that will enable you to reprogram remote and receiver unit. They usually just have about 5 switches to match up.
                      Find out who sells them now and go and ask them how to reprogramme it - they are generally very easy. Either you flick some DIP switches or hold the remote near the door unit and press a button on the door unit. After all the tenant managed to programme the new one so can't be rocket science.

                      Comment

                      • Wayne
                        Fanatical
                        • Jun 2004
                        • 10899

                        #12
                        Originally posted by revdev View Post
                        This is no different from the X amount of times your tenant cuts new keys and doesn't tell you about it. It's not like you have a new lock put on after every tenancy is it?

                        Just politely say no thanks, and carry on as you were.

                        G
                        Now I have always wondered about this - shouldn't you change locks? Do tenants think about all the other previous people who may have access to their home?

                        Comment

                        • Green sea
                          Freshie
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 2

                          #13
                          Originally posted by Re@der View Post
                          PM me with the door details and if one of the common varieties I will send you a link to a website that will enable you to reprogram remote and receiver unit. They usually just have about 5 switches to match up.
                          First of All, Thank you all for your kind and helpful advice.
                          I'm going to meet the tenant today and he's now asking $80 for it on the phone.

                          And Re@der, thank you for your information.
                          It would be very appreciated if you could send me the website links.
                          Last edited by Perry; 25-06-2009, 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed typo

                          Comment

                          • Re@der
                            Addicted
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 570

                            #14
                            Some Sites on information for Merlin Openers (The most popular one)
                            http://www.merlin.co.nz/files/Guidetotransmitters.pdf

                            http://www.merlin.co.nz/index.asp?pageID=2145825105


                            http://www.merlin.co.nz/files/GDO/LearnandDeletaGDOs.pdf
                            Doug

                            Comment

                            • revdev
                              Fanatical
                              • Jan 2005
                              • 1816

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                              Do tenants think about all the other previous people who may have access to their home?
                              Have you ever been asked this by a tenant? Nope, me either.
                              Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

                              Comment

                              Working...