No announcement yet.

Round Taupo and Bike The Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys - just letting you know I'm officially a NON starter for next year. My goal was to finish in under 7 hours. I came in under 6 in perfect conditions and loved every minute of the ride (even when I cramped, even when I lost my drink bottle, and yes even Hatepe!).

I went into it saying it was a one off challenge for me, and although it would be tempting to do again I just don't think it would be as much fun second time round. Sure I could buy some cycle clothes, use a road bike, train harder and go faster, but there's not enough buzz in that for me. I nailed my goal and am happy with that. Time to find a different challenge for 2008 I reckon...

Gerrard

Comment

Unicycle?
      Riding round in one of Paul's cardboard houses?
      Charging enough rent?
      NZ Scams to Avoid
      Add a sleepout to your rental property

Comment

Riding around with Paul?

Comment

As much as the agony of a unicycle or cardboard box appeals, sadly no. I don't love cycling enough to do that. Now if we start a discussion on the Coast to Coast I might get excited...

Comment

Do the Enduro...way more fun especially the night lap when all you can see is the person in front of you and you're hanging in a tight bunch going at 40km/hr in the dark

The Coast to Coast is overated. Fun, but hardly worth the $800 entry fee when there are many more events just as good.

No unicycles this year at Taupo. I'm told it's not that hard...just a low gear that you have to pedal really really fast. They did the C2C too.
            Last edited by Lissica; 05-12-2007, 01:51 AM.

Comment

I talked to someone who'd seen a unicycle - but I didn't get to witness it myself.

So, what events aren't overrated? I liked the idea of the Marlborough Sounds 40/50 thingy... but the website is gone so I guess it's off the calendar.
              Charging enough rent?
              NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

Okay so an update on the PropertyTalkers joining in:

PT Team of Twice Around The Lake:
                Superdad (Paul)

PT Team of Once Around the Lake
                SarahK
                Kalovatt (Kelvin)

PT Team of 2:
                Andrew King

PT Team of 4:
                Donna

umm I hope I get some team mates soon .

Maybe a PropertyTalk.com arm band? Not sure on the actual cycling gear as that may be a personal thing...am I right SarahK?

I have moved this thread to the Events and Charities forum and given it Sticky status.

Once we have some teams sorted we can create a dedicated page for sponsorship etc...it has a kick start with our $100 in the bag. Umm what $$ goal should we have?

Cheers,

Donna
                Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

I am aiming to raise $10 for every km I ride, for Heart Children New Zealand (the official charity of the Taupo Cycle Challenge).

I will start fundraising inJune of next year, once I am back from a couple of months overseas.

I think I heard the announcer at the prizegiving say that they had raised something like $81,000 this year. I might be wrong. That didn't strike me as a hug ammount, given the size of the event.

Paul.

Comment

Donna - if you can get another 40k rider you can be a team of 3 with Andrew. He'd do the first half and you and another would do the third and fourth quarters.
                    Charging enough rent?
                    NZ Scams to Avoid

Comment

Yay for you Donna -40ks on a mountain bike is a great start. It's an amazing event - scenery is lovely- the organisation is slick & relay people are generally all out for good fun.
                      We had cycle shirts screen-printed for the social group that i was with a couple of years back with sponsorship from local businesses -it shows a unity and makes other cyclists in your group easy to identify in the masses- especially when other teamsters are unknown to you

I'm looking at doing the "SHE" tri in Wainuiomata in March. I will have to dust off my bike (its been quite a while) but this wee event might inspire me to stay in the saddle and train for a relay leg or 2 .....I'll leave it to other Rambo's to take on a full Lake lap or enduros !

Comment

Hi Cassandra - let us know what you are in for - 80 or 40 kms and I'll add you to the team.

Cheers,

Donna
                        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Only 11 more months to go!

Comment

Hows your training going???? At this time of year I am busy training the right arm and the liver.

Comment

The ultimate challenge!

Classic! I've only just come across this thread and i'm smiling from ear to ear as I'm a cycling freak! I did the 320k Enduro three races ago and for two years had the women's record at 10hr 48min, until some chick went and kicked my butt last year :-(

On accommodation - we have a holiday bach on the Waihi Hill that we book out, go to bookabach and do a search under "House on the Hill" "Tokaanu". It's a perfect spot for spectators, sleeps 8 inside and there's plenty of tent sites too.

On Coast to Coast - did this too, great race, but a been there done that race, not something I'd spend another $8/900 on to do again

On the ultimate Challenge (can't recall who was talking about wanting another challenge?) - last year I did the inaugural OPC Corporate Hillary Challenge, this is a 24hr adventure race for teams of 4, 2 girls 2 boys, all have to be from the same organisation (surely PTalk is an organisation?!) ... I was part of the Taupo District Council team and WE WON!! It was absolutely the most awesome adventure/challenge/race/whatever I have ever been a part of ... as you can probably tell from my post I am rather competitive however this race was purely about doing the best you can as a TEAM, we seriously had no idea we were up for a win until the evening prizegiving, wow what an amazing suprise! So if anyone out there is up for a challenge, I'd be keen to help organise it all and be a part of it (although the council team might be a bit miffed).

Yours in pedalling
                              Jane

Comment

Wow !!!!!

Makes my single lap in 6hrs03 of Taupo look pretty sad......................

Comment

Working...
                                X