Questions to ask prospective tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hawkeye View Post
    If they apply through Trademe have a look at their sale and purchases and feedback and search their public profile on Facebook. Also when you interview them take plenty of time. People tell you stories and as you chat to them they relax and start telling you more and more.

LAJ
    I looked them up on trademe and found many wanna be applicants have zero feedback which is of no help

Comment

Yes.

If they are smart it would pay for some to create a new Trademe account before they apply for any property. The same applies to Facebook accounts. As landlord vetting strategies alter/improve then counter strategies will also evolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
        Yes.

If they are smart it would pay for some to create a new Trademe account before they apply for any property. The same applies to Facebook accounts. As landlord vetting strategies alter/improve then counter strategies will also evolve.
        I have little to no time for facebook, so I really don't know but I thought one could have only one account on facebook, do you mean one can have several facebook accounts? or do you mean delete an account then create a new one to replace it?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwidag View Post
          I have little to no time for facebook, so I really don't know but I thought one could have only one account on facebook, do you mean one can have several facebook accounts? or do you mean delete an account then create a new one to replace it?
          There's nothing stopping you from making multiple FB accounts. Set up your "real" account as private and unsearchable. Set up your fake account as "open" and add photos of you kissing babies, helping old people across the street and other upstanding citizen behavior. Biggest give away is the short FB history and few "friends". Question any 25 year old who has had a FB account for only two months and less than 20 "friends".

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
            There's nothing stopping you from making multiple FB accounts. Set up your "real" account as private and unsearchable. Set up your fake account as "open" and add photos of you kissing babies, helping old people across the street and other upstanding citizen behavior. Biggest give away is the short FB history and few "friends". Question any 25 year old who has had a FB account for only two months and less than 20 "friends".
            I guess some wannabe applicants might do just that if they have less than desirable profile.

Thanks for clarifying that Learner - Such FB accounts I presume would be in fake name, true or false?

Hmmm, now scratching my head. If indeed a fake name, how can that help said wannabe applicant as name would'nt match other application documents required (Driving Lic etc)?
            Last edited by kiwidag; 09-11-2017, 09:39 PM. Reason: Addingl Question

Comment

Such FB accounts I presume would be in fake name, true or false?

Hmmm, now scratching my head. If indeed a fake name, how can that help said wannabe applicant as name would'nt match other application documents required (Driving Lic etc)?
              I think you’ve answered your own question. Yes it would have to be in the actual person’s real name.

Comment

Questions you should always ask before choosing a new tenant

A) Full Tenancy address you are applyingfor:

B) When can you start paying rent for this property? (Please note, you can movein at any time once rent payments start)? (Example: 01/01/2017)

C) Have you viewed the property with the property manager? Yes/No?

D) Have you done a drive by of the property? (If no we recommend you do so youunderstand whether this location is suitable for you) YES/ NO?

E) How long would you like to live at this property? (example 6 months, 1 year,3 years etc):

F) Do you understand the move in costs are 4x weeks bond, 1x week rent inadvance & 1x weeks letting fee? Yes Or No?

G) What is your full name and date of birth(as per your driver license/passport/Birth Certificate)? (example avid JohnSmith, 04/03/197

H) What are the full names and date of Birth’s of ALL other persons who would live at the property (as per their driver license/passport/birth certificate)? (example David John Smith, 04/03/197

I) Can all people aged over 18 years old(including yourself) who would live at this property be able to provide Identification? ( Passport or Birth Certificate or Drivers License)? YES OR NO?

J) What is your mobile phone number and the phone numbers of all of those aged over 18 years old who would live atthe property? (example. John Smith 021 22233344)

K) What is your email address?

L) Do you wish to have any pets at the property? YES OR NO? (If Yes please state which type of animal and how many)

M) Would you (and any occupants/people living at the property) be parking any vehicles at the property? YES OR NO? If yes, how many vehicles?

N) What is your current:
                Property manager/landlord's name?
                Property manager/landlord's company name ?
                Property manager/landlord's phone numbers?
                Full address of the property you rented fromthem?
                Datesyou have rented this property
                (Example:Tom Smith, Barfoot & Thompson Rentals, Phone 02122334455, Address 100 MainStreet, Whangarei, Dates 01/02/2017 to 03/01/201

O) Can you provideproof of your current tenancy aslisted above by showing us a copy of the tenancy agreement? YES OR NO? (If yes,please email to us now)

P) What are your past property managers/landlords names and company names and phonenumbers and addresses of the property’s you rented from them and dates of thetenancy? (Please list as many as possible including dates) (Example, Tom Smith,Barfoot & Thompson, Phone 02122334455, Address 100 Main Street, Whangarei.Date from 01/01/2014 to 01/12/2017)

P1) Can you provide proof of your PAST tenancies as listed above byshowing us a copies of the tenancies agreements? YES OR NO? (If yes, pleaseemail to us now)

Q) Do you have any written landlord/propertymanager references? Yes or NO?
                (Ifyes, please email to us now)

R) Have you (or anyone else who would liveat this property) ever had a tenancy tribunal hearing before? (Please be honestas we check up on the tenancy tribunal register) YES OR NO?

S) Have you (or anyone else who would live at this property) ever had moneydeducted from a tenancy bond? (Please be honest as we checkup on this) YES OR NO? If yes, for what?

T) Are you currently Employed? Unemployed? On A Benefit?

U) What is your occupation and what are the occupations of all those aged 18years or older that would live at the property? (Please state the their nameand their occupation). (Example: David John Smith, Builder)

U1) Can all people aged over 18 years old(including yourself) who would live at this property be able to provide proofof income (Examples: Winz benefit payslip, employment payslip, bank accountstatement showing income etc). Yes Or No? (If yes, which types of documents can you provide)?

U2) What are your (and all people who wouldlive at this property) sources of income? (eg. Work and income benefits,salary/wages, pension)

V) What is your (and all people who wouldlive at the property that are aged 18 years or older) current employers companyname and managers phone number? (Example: Whangarei Retail Shop Ltd, Phone02122334455)

W) Do you have any written references (employment, or others)? Yes Or No? (Ifyes please email to us now)

Y) Have you ( and all people aged over 18who would live at this property) read the tenancy clauses and terms as shownbelow (clauses 1 to 4 and also read the ‘Cleaning Guide” ? Yes or No?

Z) Do you (and all people aged over 18 yearsold who would live at this property) agree to have their names on the tenancyagreement (as the tenants)? Yes or No?

Any other comments we should know or youwish to tell us: ………………………………..
                Last edited by Perry; 13-01-2018, 10:44 AM. Reason: tidied-up layout & disabled smilies

Comment

Try https://www.grammarly.com/ as it looks like you are currently creating a number of new documents.
                  Last edited by Lighthouse; 13-01-2018, 07:59 AM.

Comment

There can be more than one person with a name eg John smith so Facebook lets multiple people use a name. Or the same person use it twice. They may have to use a different email address or set it up on a different device though so it doesn’t pick up it is the same person.

Comment

If FB doesn't show much, give it a week or two then recheck.

One potential tenant locked his FB account thinking PM would only check once. Two weeks later FB account settings were loosened and not so appealing info was found. They didn't get the property.

Comment

If they harass you at the property and seem very demanding then I would wide booth them as often from experience they have unrealistic expectations and are miserable where no matter what you do you can't appease them.
                        Fraser Wilkinson
                        www.managemyrental.co.nz
                        Wellington / Lower Hutt / Upper Hutt / Porirua

Comment

I joined TINZ some time ago, but have not used their service, yet. I wonder whether this is very active or not. I hope it is an active site. One thing that I am going to use is their application form that can publish bad tenant's information. Unfortunately, I did not know this before as a member and did not use it. So, i can't add my bad tenant's name and what she had done to the property and me (verbal abuse, threat, lying etc...). But at least, her name will show up on the tenancy tribunal site.

I have copied from TINZ site, only part of the statement. Basically, if tenants were very bad, what they have done to the landlord can be recorded on the website so that other landlords can check them up. Without this statement, it can't be published. So, I'll remember to use the application form that allows publication of the bad tenants' information in public.

Privacy Statement
                          By completing this Application Form you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information in accordance with thisPrivacy Statement. Personal Information includes any information that identifies you or another person, that you provide, or haveprovided,tousorauthoriseustocollectatanytime(i ncludingdefaultinformationandupdatedinformation). ThisPrivacyStatement does not limit our rights and obligations under the Privacy Act 1993.

Comment

It is a useful tool. Use it as part of your vetting process. Also, develop some rules of thumb that you stick to when evaluating tenants. Find reasons to decline an application rather than explaining away any inconsistencies or unease. Get rid of any downside.

Comment

Originally posted by FJW View Post
                              If they ask 101 questions about trivial matters at the property and pot shot the place but yet still want to apply its a sign that they will be a pain to deal with
                              Sounds just like some of the landlords in this thread. Irony much?

Comment

Originally posted by nano View Post
                                I joined TINZ some time ago
                                [.....]
                                I have copied from TINZ site, only part of the statement. Basically, if tenants were very bad, what they have done to the landlord can be recorded on the website so that other landlords can check them up. Without this statement, it can't be published. So, I'll remember to use the application form that allows publication of the bad tenants' information in public.

Privacy Statement
                                By completing this Application Form you agree to the collection, use and disclosure of Personal Information in accordance with thisPrivacy Statement. Personal Information includes any information that identifies you or another person, that you provide, or haveprovided,tousorauthoriseustocollectatanytime(i ncludingdefaultinformationandupdatedinformation). ThisPrivacyStatement does not limit our rights and obligations under the Privacy Act 1993.
                                TINZ has been found lacking by the Privacy Commissioner. I for one, would not deal with them if I were a landlord, but then, principles are important to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X